1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was but when we did some sticky cleaning I guess it got unstickied accidentally.

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
Ya know what's funny? You can't adjust a hydraulic system. They're self adjusting. But you are supposed to adjust the pedal so that the rubber stopper just pushes the pin switch.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Either way, it may work to keep ya going for a while.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
It's not about adjusting the hydraulic system, it's about adjusting the actuator, IE the clutch pedal rod. Makes perfect sense to me, that after years of use some things would require readjustment. If the pedal were all the way out and the rod not adjusted properly, there would be residual pressure in the system causing the clutch to slip.
Same thing with the brakes. The rod going into the master cylinder is adjustable 9 times out of 10.

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
That's how you properly adjust it after replacing the master cylinder. Once completed, you should never have to adjust it again.

The nice thing about hydraulics is you should never have to adjust them. Residual pressure? Umm... Sorry. Nope. Won't happen on a properly adjusted master cylinder / clutch pedal relationship.

Why do you think hydraulic lifters work so well? Same principle.

I always adjust my pedal to that a sliver of the switch is showing when the pedal is all the way up after a release. This is also after I've pumped the pedal a couple times to make sure the lines are full.

I guess I'm really getting stuck on the terminology used. You aren't adjusting the clutch. And you aren't adjusting clutch movement. You are properly adjusting the master cylinder/clutch pedal relationship. But that really should have been done when you installed the master cylinder in the first place.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
AZ-ZBum said:
The nice thing about hydraulics is you should never have to adjust them. Residual pressure? Umm... Sorry. Nope. Won't happen on a properly adjusted master cylinder / clutch pedal relationship.
Seen it before, on many cars. "Properly adjusted" is not as common as you might think. Many cars older than 5 years are not. There's also the jackass mechanic who installs things and doesn't take the time to fine tune them.

·
Z31 know-it-all
1,023 Posts
2+2 means 4 seats.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts