Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
This morning when I drove off. I could feel that the accelerator pedal was real tight like when the overdrive is engaged. Well I thought that it would go away. Because I usually warm my car up before I drive off. But today I didn't. But I'm sure that didn't cause the problem. I pulled over and I turned off the car and turned it back on. To see if the auto/trans light would go on. But it didn't . But the car wouldn't get out of overdrive. So to make sure this was the problem I speed up to see if my gears would change, they wouldn't. I took it off the auto overdrive. And it work fine after. What could be the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok let me say this better. So you guys can help me. While driving the Z I felt that the Z was in overdrive. And the gas pedal felt real tight, the Z wouldn't shift gears. So I pulled over and turned the Z off then on to see if the auto/trans light would go on. But it didn't . I turned the overdrive botton off, to see if their was a difference. And their was, the car would shift fine. What could be the problem?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Sounds to me like a TCU malfunction. I don't know if the Z32 had a seperate control unit for the auto trans, or if it was a combined ECU. Hopefully it's a seperate unit. You may wish to swap in a known good TCU unit, if possible. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's an actuator problem. Those can get a bit expensive, probably just be cheaper to get a used tranny.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
Sounds to me like a TCU malfunction. I don't know if the Z32 had a seperate control unit for the auto trans, or if it was a combined ECU. Hopefully it's a seperate unit. You may wish to swap in a known good TCU unit, if possible. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it's an actuator problem. Those can get a bit expensive, probably just be cheaper to get a used tranny.

You think this could also be caused by a ground in the TCU? How can I verify that it is the TCU? Reason saying yesterday just for kicks I took put the overdrive back in the on position. And the Z was shifting gears just fine.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
G-SPOT said:
You think this could also be caused by a ground in the TCU? How can I verify that it is the TCU? Reason saying yesterday just for kicks I took put the overdrive back in the on position. And the Z was shifting gears just fine.
Before you start playing around with the auto trans CPU check make sure you have tranny fuild filled to the proper level? Also if the tranny fuild has over 30K miles it should be changed?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Spongerider said:
Before you start playing around with the auto trans CPU check make sure you have tranny fuild filled to the proper level? Also if the tranny fuild has over 30K miles it should be changed?
I was assuming he'd done that, but you are correct...... :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
next time, let your car warm up first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shadow Z said:
next time, let your car warm up first.

Come on everyone know that they should have their car warm up, preferably have the car on. To check your transmission fluid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:

Well just to let you know the problem went away. My wife said to just try it with the overdrive botton "on". So I did and it was fine. I asked a friend and he said it could of been just some ground that had occured.

The trans has good color and it's at the proper level. Maybe I should just change it jus because. What do you think? I mean it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:

Well just to let you know the problem went away. My wife said to just try it with the overdrive botton "on". So I did and it was fine. I asked a friend and he said it could of been just some ground that had occured.

The trans has good color and it's at the proper level. Maybe I should just change it. Just because. What do you think? I mean it couldn't hurt?

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
G-SPOT said:

The trans has good color and it's at the proper level. Maybe I should just change it. Just because. What do you think? I mean it couldn't hurt?
Put new fiulds in. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spongerider said:
Put new fiulds in. :)

Ok I got the filter and gasket. But to make sure is their any specific type that I should put into the 300ZX. I got some Valvoline dexron 3. I read the back to see if the label said the specific cars it would go into. And it did say it's good for Nissans. I also got some LUCAS transmission fluid additive.

But what is a good ATF. What do you guys use and recommend? Specifically for the 300ZX n/a.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
G-SPOT said:
Ok I got the filter and gasket. But to make sure is their any specific type that I should put into the 300ZX. I got some Valvoline dexron 3. I read the back to see if the label said the specific cars it would go into. And it did say it's good for Nissans. I also got some LUCAS transmission fluid additive.

But what is a good ATF. What do you guys use and recommend? Specifically for the 300ZX n/a.
Redline MT works well for me!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts