Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends 97 4cylinder runs on autolite platinum and it seems to run real smooth..

What experience do you all have with plugs and what do you feel makes it run the smoothest...

The Bosch platinum +4 intrigue me..

Never did have luck with Denso...

Also, is it me, or is it incredibly easy to strip a spark plug hole??

·
Registered
206 Posts
*sigh*....I ALWAYS put spark plugs in by hand before attaching the ratchet to prevent stripping. One of the first things i did when i got my truck was replace the plugs. They all came out nice and easy except the last cylinder....it came out tight. When i went to put new ones in, i couldn't get the last plug to go in properly. I tried cleaning it, spraying it....never went in more than a couple of turns. Turns out, the last owner really gummed up the threads bad.

I borrow a tap from a friend, greased it up real well and was able to get some threads back. I'm terrified of touching that plug ever again now...I don't want to have to get a helicoil. :(

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've always ran Autolites in all my vehicles. just liked them. I have tried NGKs and went back. thats just me. you should always apply a dab of anti-sieze compound on plugs that go into aluminum heads, and I use a extra plug boot to install them before hitting it with the ratchet. havent stripped one yet. heard about it. just dont rush it and you will be fine.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yep,I've had good luck with NGK's.Tried Bosch once,didn't like them.Autolight's used to run slighter hotter then the regular plugs for an application,and are a good choice for something with high milage,or an engine that was modified.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Its my and my friends belief (Datsun/nissan factory tech from the 60's to the 80's) that its OEM or bust. THeres a reason those factory wires, caps, rotors and plugs worked so sell and lasted so long.

I never use aftermarket anything if I can help it in the ignition system.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Yep,I've had good luck with NGK's.Tried Bosch once,didn't like them.Autolight's used to run slighter hotter then the regular plugs for an application,and are a good choice for something with high milage,or an engine that was modified.
Yep, Bosch suck, I guess they only work on German Cars cause they suck on Force inductioned cars, Japanese, Korean, and Domestics!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also, I have never had a plug strip, be it my 41 year old L16 engine in my 1st 510, or my SE-R's SR20. They key is to let them do the threading, start them slow, and run them all the way to the compression washer by hand.

I have never used anti sieze, i think its not necessary at all unless you plan on 100000 mile plug changes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to never have them strip either ( plugs that is ;) ) but lately, every plug that I start seems to have a big problem catching the first thread.. and yes I do it by hand all the time.

I wonder if spark plugs are like oil... all in your imagination :fluffy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts