Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i had a major blow out a few days ago on one of my Yokohama avids. It did have a nail in it, but the entire inner side wall was blown out and torn to shreds. The tire place told me that the nail caused the puncture, obviously, and driving on it at a high speed caused the inside wall damage, but I fail to see the correlation between a nail puncture and a whole blow out. Can somebody please explain to me how it could cause that reaction? I feel that I've been duped.

·
i'm an asshole
1,859 Posts
i work at a tire shop, so i see these things quite often. if you drove on the tire with low air, it would have worn down the sidewall and made it weaker. one thing people don't understand when they come in with a flat repair is if there is sign of sidewall wear, we are required to replace the tire because it is unsafe to ride on a tire like that. so that could be why the tire blew out on you. and with the temperature changing, that is also a big factor to tire blowouts.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Cars are heavy. Tires hold up the car when they have air in them. Without air, the tires side wall can not support the weight of your vehicle and the wheel actually pinches down hard enough on the tires side wall to cut it. This is why new vehicles are coming with Tire Pressure Monitoring systems now. The systems are designed to notify the driver at the soonest possible moment of a pressure loss in efforts to avoid blowouts. I'm glad you were ok, a blowout at high speed or on a freeway can be extremely dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts