Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone. been driving without fifth gear for too long and i'm ready for my mpg to come back.. i was wondering if the 94 models had upgraded parts and less of a problem of popping out. i have a 93 and don't really want to take on a rebuild. i'd rather just swap in a 94 out of the junkyard. thanks for your help.

update: ok i just read in a year old post that anything from a 91-99 would work. is this true? if so, i would really imagine they got the 5th gear pop-out fixed by then. anybody know what year they started getting better (if this is true)?

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
If you have a '94 Sentra, you'll want a transmission from '93-'98, as '99s are going to very hard to find, I imagine. You can't use a transmission before 1993 because they are cable speedometre.

On another note, I don't know what all you people are doing to your 5th gears! I have a '90 GA-series transmission, and it has over 245,000 miles on it, and 5th gear holds strong. What is the deal? Is it just B13+ transmissions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what do you mean "you people?" lol

i have a 93 and yes it was actually a manufacturing flaw. why are the 99's hard to find? not that i'd care if it was a 98 or whatever... i just want one after they fixed the flaw.

thanks

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
The 5th gear pop-out is notorious around this forum. I know of more than a dozen people offhand who have had the problem. I guess I am just fortunate. Well, '99 is the last year of the GA16DE, and are uncommon (in my experience). Mostly because that same year the Sentra also came with the SR20DE in the SE package, which I think more people bought. We all call that model the "SE-L" as opposed to the "SE-R". I used to have a spare '98 transmission laying around, but I think I junked it a while back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts