Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been hearing a sloshing noise for some time now and been having problems with condensation. Water collection wasn't obvious at first, as there is about 2 inches of polystyrene packing between carpet and metal floor, so carpets were not initially wet to the touch. I have ordered some 6 point sockets to remove seats to inspect for cause of the leak and also to dry out the carpets ......etc. Does anyone have any good advice in terms of where to look from experience or known problems/ causes of the leak?

Thanks, Gary

· Registered
3,822 Posts
If it has a sunroof, first thing to check is the drains. Gen2 Rogues (same as your T32) are positively infamous for clogged front sunroof drains. Second thing to check is the A/C evap drain hose (in the console near the driver's right foot on a US model, may be opposite on yours). Other less-common problems are clogged door drains causing overflow behind a door panel, bad windshield or glass seals, a bad steering shaft grommet, and cracked body seals at the rear of the front wheel wells. If it's an issue with the front sunroof drains, you'll need to remove the wiper arms, cowl cover, and wiper motor, then break the nubs out of the drain fittings so they don't clog again. Clearing the hoses without modifying the drain fittings virtually guarantees a recurrence in the future. These pics are from a Murano, but the front drains on your T32 should be identical:

Before modification:
Road surface Gas Cuisine Asphalt Circle

After modification:
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it has a sunroof, first thing to check is the drains. Gen2 Rogues (same as your T32) are positively infamous for clogged front sunroof drains. Second thing to check is the A/C evap drain hose (in the console near the driver's right foot on a US model, may be opposite on yours). Other less-common problems are clogged door drains causing overflow behind a door panel, bad windshield or glass seals, a bad steering shaft grommet, and cracked body seals at the rear of the front wheel wells. If it's an issue with the front sunroof drains, you'll need to remove the wiper arms, cowl cover, and wiper motor, then break the nubs out of the drain fittings so they don't clog again. Clearing the hoses without modifying the drain fittings virtually guarantees a recurrence in the future. These pics are from a Murano, but the front drains on your T32 should be identical:

Before modification:
View attachment 10227

After modification:
View attachment 10228
Thank you for the advice. Yes it does have a sun roof and is often parked under trees. I need the car for work commute this week, but plan to get the seats out and dry the car out. I will additionally follow your inspection /modification advice to see if that resolves the problem (y)

· Registered
3,822 Posts
You're most welcome. It's rare on Rogues to find pinched or disconnected hoses, clogs are almost always in the bottom fittings. Sometimes the clog will clear in a gush of water as soon as you remove the nub, but the Murano in the pics was the same situation as yours and had a hard pill of debris and pine sap built up behind the nub on the passenger side. If that happens, use a slender screwdriver to break up the debris. If you have compressed air, put a shop rag over the upper ingress with the roof open and gently blow any remaining debris out the top. Without air, snake some weed-eater line about 6" up the tube to make sure any debris is loose, then pour water down the troughs until it runs clear and free.

Note that you can't check the rear drains on a Rogue with the car level, to check the rears you must park on a slight uphill. Water should emerge just behind each rear wheel. The drain on the side with the jack is easy to reach by pulling the jack, the other side requires loosening and pulling back the rear portion of the cargo room trim. The rear fittings have the same nubs as the front drains, but reaching them similarly from the outside is difficult. Instead, force a short phillips screwdriver through the fitting from the inside until you feel the nub break.

· Registered
3,822 Posts
PS - Make sure you use a bleach-based fungicide on the undercarpets when you dry them out, and use it before drying. Mold spores are only dangerous when they dry out, so treat for mold while it's still wet..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS - Make sure you use a bleach-based fungicide on the undercarpets when you dry them out, and use it before drying. Mold spores are only dangerous when they dry out, so treat for mold while it's still wet..
Really appreciate the advice, thanks. Hope to get to do this work at the weekend, as time is a little compressed during the week, but with the advice you have given I have a clear plan in mind. Just for interest, when the sunroof drains are blocked, is it that the water makes its way into the roof lining and interior trim and finds its way into the floor well?

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Yes, usually down the A-pillars if it's the front drains or the C-pillars if it's the rears. The way the drain system works, there are open channels all the way around the roof with a moveable "drip rail" in the center which goes back and forth with the pane. When the drains are blocked or slow, the water simply overflows the open channels and ends up in the headliner. The liner has a plastic layer on top, so the water runs off it and down the pillars. Waterstains in the headliner usually only happen after it's been leaking for quite awhile, but pulling the pillar trim will generally reveal grit and stains left behind by the flow..

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, well that was fun. Spent the weekend removing trim, drivers and front passenger seats and raised the carpets both sides of the vehicle. I also removed the polystyrene packers in the front and rear footwells. All three bays (front and back foot wells and the one between under the seat) both driver side and passenger side - total 6 bays, all had varying levels of water in. That was the symptom, so then following your advice on cause, I gained access to the two front sunroof exit drains behind the Windscreen Wiper panel and sure enough blocked both sides. Modification applied and blockage removed. Spent the rest of the weekend drying out the car. One final question, if I may, I assume a blockage of the front drains would result in the symptom described (I.e. If the rear sunroof drains were blocked could that also result in water ingress to the bays described, or water ingress only to the rear cargo area)?. Thanks for all the good advice up to now (y)

· Registered
3,822 Posts
Yes, if the rears are blocked the water comes down the C-pillars instead of the A-pillars, but it still winds up on the floor. BUT, on Rogues it's never a problem unless you park on an uphill. On level ground the fronts do all the work because the sunroof frame inclines forward. You can check the rears by parking on an uphill and dribbling some water into the channels, it should come out just behind the rear wheels.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. My car is parked downhill most days, so fairy sure its the front drain problem only, also because the majority of water was in the forward foot wells as result if water running down the A-pillars. I will, however, check the rear drains as you have suggested just for peace of mind (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts