Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
I have a 2014 Xtrail XE. It is the MR motor which I think relates to the T31 model. I do self servicing every 10,000km replacing the oil filter, air filter and oil. When the vehicle reached 100,000km, I replaced the spark plugs. I am now on 163,000km and I am experiencing poor fuel consumption and sluggishness. I bought an online workshop manual and I do not see any fuel filters. Up until now, I would get around 7.5L/100km, now I am getting 10L+/100km

The vehicle was tested with a diagnostic tool and all sensors are working fine with no errors. The mechanic indicated that he thinks it could be my fuel pump playing up as it is common to replace around 150,000km or higher.

Can anyone please tell me if this is true or can the fuel consumption be something else?

·
Registered
266 Posts
The fuel pump would not cause poor mileage. It could be dirty fuel injectors. Try a dose or two of BG44 or Techron if you can get it. Another issue at that mileage could be the oxygen sensors. They get tired over time. Replace them all at the same time (upstream/downstream), not just one.

Reactions: tonyvancity

·
Registered
476 Posts
I replaced my two oxygen sensors about 2-3 years ago. They did not cost that much and i think i got a smoother more efficient running motor. One thing John that is often overlooked on many engines is the PCV Valve. It does not cost much ($15-25) , easy to get at a nissan parts dept , and takes about 1 minute to swap out, assuming you have the proper size open wrench.
People also ask
What happens if your PCV valve goes bad?
Bad PCV valves can cause engine oil contamination, sludge build-up, oil leaks, high fuel consumption, and other engine-damaging problems, depending on the type of failure.Jan 27, 2019
or if you feel cheap, you can remove it and rinse it out with some type of cleaner fluid such as varsol or gasoline. Dry it out and wait. Check the hose attached to it , remove it, run a stick or whatever you have thru it to ensure not clogged up with sludge, reinstall the hose and pcv valve. I did exactly that on my brother's 04 toyota matrix and also cleaned his throttle body and mass air flow sensor with the sprays for each of them ( $9-12 each spray can) and i noticed a huge difference in engine smoothness, throttle and fuel economy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts