Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need new front and rear Catalytic converters (driver's side) on my 2005 Nissan Frontier Nismo Off-Road with AT.

Cost here in Canada is about $600 for both front and back on the driver's side.

Then I go to Amazon and see that I can get both left and right, front and back catalytic converters for the same $600 (!), so about half price.

Just wondering if anyone's tried the Xotic brand of muffler parts and what's been your experience ???

Thanks.

Marc

·
Registered
62 Posts
If i recall the brand correctly, I replaced both of mine (forward, left and right) with Pacesetter. The units did NOT come with new gaskets! Make sure you buy new gaskets!!

It took some doing to replace, but the "trick" is to unbolt the exhaust at the crossover - and slide the whole she-bang towards the back of the truck. It's only a couple of inches but you will work yourself crazy if you try removing only the cats. Also, most of the heat shield bolts on drives side just snapped off. Ended up leaving the heat shield out.

I replaced mine going on at least 5 years ago....and no problem since. Seems it was about $250.

FWIW - the back cats usually do not need replacing. The fronts do all the work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking of getting a local garage to do it. It's one of the only garages that accepts installing parts I get myself and don't charge me more for the labor (than they do when I buy the parts from them). I kind of don't have a choice to replace both front and back cats since it's where they meet that both sides have kind of disintegrated ! Both my cats are probably still good, actually, it's just the pipes where they connect that have gone bad and brittle on both sides !

Also, what I'm wondering about is this new "Xotic" muffler parts place. Half the price of everywhere else..., but just wondering if they're any good ???

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,757 Posts
You can sometimes take a chance with aftermarket converters and end up with the check engine light coming back on, anyway. Walker Ultra converters work well from my experience; I have one on my 05 Pathfinders that's been on there about 6-years. Bosal is also a good brand. I think I paid $325 US at the time for the Walker. I did need to get gaskets and 10MM hardware, as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only concerns i would have with Xotic from an outside viewpont is they have no phone contact/customer service. They only offer email support. And, their warranty is kind of vague as it doesn't come right out and say "X miles or X years".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, fairly shady operation. Funny thing is, I found their address then, with Google Maps and "street view" I just called the phone number that was on the front of their business and actually talked to a guy... that seemed very surprised to get a call...! Nevertheless, he did answer my query.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah, fairly shady operation. Funny thing is, I found their address then, with Google Maps and "street view" I just called the phone number that was on the front of their business and actually talked to a guy... that seemed very surprised to get a call...! Nevertheless, he did answer my query.
Tipit,

I do the same thing. I just got a couple Nissan Oil Filter's 15208-9e01a off of EBay from a Nissan Dealer. I wanted to make sure that the part # was the same as advertised. They also seemed a little bit surprised, but answered my question to satisfaction. Sometime's I save a good bit; In this case I didn't save a lot, but it saved me the driveing cost to go to the Local Dealer.

I had to get a Door Latch Repaired or Replaced. The Local Dealer didn't have the part and was a special order with no refund, if I didn't need it. I found the Part from a West Coast Nissan Dealer at a much lower cost selling on EBay. They said I could return for Full Refund if I didn't open the box. The Dealer did the Repair and did need the part. If I had gone through the Local Dealer it would have taken 2 visit's; one to diagnose and order the part, 2nd trip to get it installed. The Local Dealer was a little bit surprised that I showed up with the Geniune Nissan part to begin with, but the Repair was Perfect.

Saveing money is harder to do, cause we have to spend the extra time,, but saveing when I can add's up to quiet a bit over time.

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts