Nissan Forum banner

X-TRAIL T31 SHUT DOWN SUDDENLY

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rogoman 
#1 ·
The car suddenly turned off and although I can start it without problems this happens +-5 times a day, maybe more...it happens more often in low revs.....The MIL warning show up... the scanner show P0335 (crankshaft position sensor) and P0011 (camshaft position timing ) but after a few days the MIL dissapear so i suppose the DTC errors too.....but the car still shut down suddenly...some times MIL shows up (DTC's) sometimes dont.......i guess the DTC errors just comes because the engine stops suddenly and the real problem is other.... want to ear suggestions....TKS

#2 ·
A common problem with random engine shutdowns, difficult startups, rough running is a marginal camshaft position sensor (CMP) or a marginal crankshaft position sensor (CKP). Most of the time when this happens, the "check engine light" never comes on; subsequently when performing an ECU code readout, there was no fault code set. There's been many members here on the forum that have had problems similar to yours and the fix was replacing those two sensors.

The best and cheapest fix for this situation is to replace both sensors at the same time; the reason for doing this is there is no way to determine which sensor is at fault with this type of condition. You can take your vehicle to a dealer/repair shop and they'll tell you there is nothing wrong after they go through with diagnostic tests because at that time the vehicle was running OK. You could end up spending $200 or much more depending on how much time/parts are used.

When replacing sensors, always use Nissan OEM parts from a Nissan dealer; aftermarket electronic items generally are not reliable, don't last long, and many times are DOA. The sensors are not very expensive; around $120.

Inspect the harness connectors on all the sensors for any oxidation or loose connections. Insure that any water resistant connector is in good condition; if the seals have been compromised, then any water intrusion can cause intermittent problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.