Nissan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
What is the benefit of having this?

Terranismo said:
That's the rear halogen. It's standard on Euro X-trails. Cost is around $100.00 at the dealer and includes the lamp and new switchgear which is situated underneath the steering wheel on the dash. The X is already prewired for it (like the front halogens) so it's just plug and play.
 

·
X-Trail Moderator
Joined
·
902 Posts
back bumper light

Viper (& others),

Yes it is my Kenwood amp strapped to the backseat.


Also, the back bumper light was added since it does not come on Canadian models (Stephen and I both worked on this mod together... he has the same)

Unfortunately the wiring is NOT there in the back bumper, so Stephen and I decided to run some wires from the brake lights wiring (just inside the car) and make this lamp function as a day-light/brake light. Also had to buy the connector to hold the special dual coil brake bulb.

But as Terranismo mentioned, normally this lamp is designated as a "Rear Fog Lamp" which is switch activated by the driver.

ValBoo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Here in Canada I would imagine it's just for show. I think it has a purpose on the Autobahn as a warning system.

I wonder if the RCMP would pull you over if you left it on while you're driving.
 

·
X-Trail Moderator
Joined
·
902 Posts
Winterpeg,

Never been pulled over for having it on (as wired per above) since it is the same brightnes as day-lights unless stepping on the brake.

And yes it is just for show...
But more importantly:
I just couldn't stand having that SILLY cover plate in the middle of the bumper (depends on your car color... the plate in "black" is not too noticable...I find)

ValBoo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
ValBoo said:
Winterpeg,

Never been pulled over for having it on (as wired per above) since it is the same brightnes as day-lights unless stepping on the brake.

And yes it is just for show...
But more importantly:
I just couldn't stand having that SILLY cover plate in the middle of the bumper (depends on your car color... the plate in "black" is not too noticable...I find)

ValBoo.

I agree, I hate plugs in place that indicate you don't have "All the options" ;)

I see, normally it would be clear for a back up light or bright red for more light in a fog.

I would like to do the Jalal mod where the top bank of tail lights is lit with a dual element bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Is there any option to get a white/clear cover instead of red? Might come in handy to shed some light on the ground when setting up the tent after dark.

Does the power run independent of the running lights?
 

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Rear Fog Light

I know we have discussed this at length in the "monster" thread, but I fitted my rear fog light to be used as a fog light that would come-on when I switch the front ones on.

My exy was already pre-wired and when I removed that ugly plastic cover from the rear bumper that wires and plug was already there, so all I had to do is fit the rear fog light and take it to an auto electrician to connect the existing wire to the control switch and relay of the front fog light.

We don't fog here often in Australia, so I use it as a "dust light" instead when going off-road. The brightness of this little thing is just amazing and makes you visible even in the dustiest conditions.

Have a look at it in action :) That's me in that black exy.



I have to admit that I sometimes use this rear fog light as a punishment for someone that decides (un-wisely) to tailgate me :)


Winterpeg said:
Is there any option to get a white/clear cover instead of red? Might come in handy to shed some light on the ground when setting up the tent after dark.

Does the power run independent of the running lights?
 

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
The Jalal Mod

Viper, the "Jalal Mod" is becoming very popular around the world and I see a link to my web page on more than one forum these days talking about it.

As with any 1st time mod, guys are trying to do something better and easier than what I've done with my tail lights and I know that there are a couple of xtrailers in Malaysia that have succeeded in adding LED bulbs to the top section of the tail light. Requires smaller hole drilling and produces a bit more light than the standard dual element bulb.

I'm happy with my mod and I wont be changing it, until I get the new "white" tail lights with LEDs. :)

Pics of my tail light mod can be found HERE

ViperZ said:
I agree, I hate plugs in place that indicate you don't have "All the options" ;)

I see, normally it would be clear for a back up light or bright red for more light in a fog.

I would like to do the Jalal mod where the top bank of tail lights is lit with a dual element bulb.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Jalal, it's a cool mod, and I noticed as I watched my wife driving the Xty home yesterday that it was needed. My thought was why have such a huge taillight area only to have a small portion of it being actual illuminated brake lights?

Thanks for the linked photos.

The Clear/LED Tail lights you mention, are they the same as the Rider version sold in Japan?

 

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Mud Flaps

Hi Guys,

Am I seeing this correctly from your exy pics, but it looks like you guys have "black" mud flaps? is this correct?

I've searching for the black mud flaps all over to replace my grey looking ones, as I want them to match my black exy.

Anyone knows where I could get the genuine xtrail black mud flaps from?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Those Clear Tail lights would look wicked on a black and Silver XTy :thumbup: I wish they were all clear though with out the red even... Might look bland, but different :)

The black mud flaps came on from the factory, if you can't get them I'm sure we can do something about that. :)
 

·
Fully Bolted + Juiced!
Joined
·
389 Posts
My X is also prewired for the rear fog light. It actually uses a small switch under the steering wheel on the dash which changes the intensity. I think it has 3 to 4 settings. I'm thinking about doing something different about my bumper lenses also. :)
 

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
Joined
·
715 Posts
I have two extra..

When they did the mods to my car... I loss the use of the back two... you want them?

Stephen



aussietrail said:
Hi Guys,

Am I seeing this correctly from your exy pics, but it looks like you guys have "black" mud flaps? is this correct?

I've searching for the black mud flaps all over to replace my grey looking ones, as I want them to match my black exy.

Anyone knows where I could get the genuine xtrail black mud flaps from?
 

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Yes please!

Thanks for the offer Stephen, if they're black, yes I want them please, as I've checked with the dealerships here and apparently all xtrails (including the new ones) come with the standard grey mud flaps.

Can you also ask the price of the front ones from your dealership please?

If you gonna be sending me the back ones, I might as well buy the front ones to match.

Thanks very much.

SCHESBH said:
When they did the mods to my car... I loss the use of the back two... you want them?

Stephen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
I had posted a question a few days ago about if anyone had put anything on the factory roof rack....but recieved no replies.
So I did it anyway...I looked at a bunch of cargo boxes because we just had a little girl and need just a bit more room with her and the dog I guess.
I ended up going with a THULE Adventurer simply because of the customer service were I got it and the price was right. It holds 16 cubic feet....I can fit the stroller in this puppy.









 

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
Luggage Box

Hi Thorongil,

I have a similar set-up, but with a smaller and a bit deaper box, mine holds 50Kg and it was a perfect companion during my off-road trip last weekend. I put all of camping gear in there.





Sorry that I didn't reply to your question earlier, but am not using factory roof racks, mine are aftermarket ones made by Rhino Rack and the reason I chose those over the factory ones, was because they're higher than the rear roof spoiler, so when I put stuff up there I don't have to worry about scratching the spoiler.

Boyz, more pics of my off-road adventure and beach driving can be seen HERE just scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll see a link to a .zip file which you can download to view the photos (file size is 1.31Mb) :) I had great fun and will be doing it again shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
aussietrail,

Nice pics. Thats some pretty good off roading there...Does your X trial have any special mods to do that stuff? That water looks like its well past the bottm of the doors? Any leaks?

T
 

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
Joined
·
2,228 Posts
All Standard Factory

Nope, nothing special. Apart from the shiny chrome stuff :) everything else is factory nissan (including the suspension) No leaks either, the exy is quite sealed when it comes to water crossings and as long the water line doesn't go above the bonnet, it should be fine.

Viper: I know I told you before that am not into that hard core off-roading, but I just couldn't resist the temptation of not even trying to explore what our exy is capable of. Believe me you will be surprised. :)

Thorongil said:
aussietrail,

Nice pics. Thats some pretty good off roading there...Does your X trial have any special mods to do that stuff? That water looks like its well past the bottm of the doors? Any leaks?

T
 
41 - 60 of 422 Posts
Top