Nissan Forum banner

401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sadden that the last post was over a year a go :( This was an awesome thread! Read all pages but most of the pictures have been deleted from user's picture accounts :(

Once I get my SUV I'll be sure to post pictures in here!!

Let's bring this back to life!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
my x-trail

Hi there,

After years of leasing decided to buy a car, and opted for the x-trail. Found myself a 2006 2.2 dci Columbia, 1 previous owner and full stamped history at a bargain price!! Having had it a couple of weeks now I think I made the right choice :) Having been into car modification in the past and being curtailed by the lease agreements previously I have decided to make a few modifications to my car...nothing outrageous though..I will add some front bars and front and rear scuff plates, 19 or 20 inch wheels and hopefully find some leather interior and xenon lights...but my first change is being done at the end of the month..a fully body wrap...here are a couple of pics.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,117 Posts
55Xtrail55 is the white version a body wrap, is it painted or is it photoshop at its finest? I note that you plan to add bash plates and bars. I assume this is to make it even more off road worthy. My question why destroy your vehicles performance by trying to go for FrankenRims? The car was originally designed with 15'' rims and 215/70/15 tires. Going to 20'' is something like a quintuple upsize. Best size would be 225/40/20 or 235's but such tire sizes do not exist. And if they did would be incredibly stiff with not much sidewall. You will affect handling as well as strain yours suspension and if your overall diameter is bigger you will change the gearing and make your X trail slower. If you want more performance than orginal buy quality tires in 225/55 r17 minimum H rated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi quadraria 10 the white picture is my photoshop so I could preview what it would look like in white before paying out for the vinyl body wrap [and to gain the missuses approval] the scuff plates are to protect door sills and boot sill etc, the nudge bars will primarily be cosmetic value, although some of my fishing trips do take me off road so will indeed provide added protection...regarding the wheels, again will be cosmetic value, it already has factory 17" alloys and a lot of the new x-trails come with 18" alloys as standard fitments, so an increase to 20" although more likely it will be 19" possibly even 18" if I find something I like that really suits the car. I am not worried about the change in performance [decreased acceleration / increased top speed] as this will be used as a family get around :) In the past I've had cars running on big wheels with performance rubber bands for tyres and yes it made for a bumpy ride, but the handling was immense lol, but that is not what I'm looking for with this car...looking different but not obviously modified :)

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,117 Posts
Increased top speed is a myth as nobody ever gets to use it and I am not too sure how long I would want to be cruising at the limits of the cars engine and suspension.
My point was that the car was originally designed with 15 in rims which were then upsized on later versions first to 16'' and then 17''. 20'' rims is a fivefold upsize and I really dont think it will do anything positive to the vehicle. What is cool about an SUV that can no longer operate as such? Seems like a lot of money to spend on pure cosmetics, but that is me.
RE 17'' rims, I have used 215-60-17, 225-60-17 and 225-55-17. In comparison to the original set up size of 215-70-15, the first has a 1.1% diameter increase, the second a 3% diameter increase, and the last a .4% decrease. With the 225-60's the X is sluggish and handling at highway speeds is not what it should be. However with the 225-55, the car is zippier, and the auto transmission gearing seems to be bang on for it. Handling improves and it really feels planted at highway speeds. I can see why its a common tire size for the X in Germany where people actually get to drive at speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Increased top speed is a myth as nobody ever gets to use it and I am not too sure how long I would want to be cruising at the limits of the cars engine and suspension.
My point was that the car was originally designed with 15 in rims which were then upsized on later versions first to 16'' and then 17''. 20'' rims is a fivefold upsize and I really dont think it will do anything positive to the vehicle. What is cool about an SUV that can no longer operate as such? Seems like a lot of money to spend on pure cosmetics, but that is me.
RE 17'' rims, I have used 215-60-17, 225-60-17 and 225-55-17. In comparison to the original set up size of 215-70-15, the first has a 1.1% diameter increase, the second a 3% diameter increase, and the last a .4% decrease. With the 225-60's the X is sluggish and handling at highway speeds is not what it should be. However with the 225-55, the car is zippier, and the auto transmission gearing seems to be bang on for it. Handling improves and it really feels planted at highway speeds. I can see why its a common tire size for the X in Germany where people actually get to drive at speed.
The more I have been looking at pics of x's with really big wheels the more I am starting to dislike them!! I think the max I will go to will be 18's with a reasonable tyre still, I like the fact that it looks like a 4x4, and my end goal is to have something that still looks practically oem, with some added extras..the reason for the colour change is I haven't seen many, if any t30's
in white, so this will make it quite unique I hope. I am even toying with some t31 headlights [I know completely different] but I would be able to get them fit :)

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,117 Posts
Well artic white wasn't the most popular colour, but I do see them around. It was one of the colour options in Canada. Does look good. What is the advantage of body wrap vs having the car repainted? Price ? Durability? Does it keep moisture away from metal or would it trap it underneath? I don't know much about it.
As for the tires I think I read about Jalal of the Aussie Forum putting 18'' 235-50-18's on his old T30 before getting a t31. He found some older Murano rims with correct offset and center bore. I use older 17'' special edition Maxima rims w 7'' width with the 225-55s for summer, and the stock alloy w 6.5'' width with 215-60s for winter.
Curious if you are going to cut out some of the bumper to fit the t31 lights? Might be easier to get a set of the top section covers to change the headlight look.
Where are you by the way? All the best
Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is my 2006 2.2dci Aventura that I've had for about 2 months and love. I've had two land rovers before but needed a more reliable comfortable 4x4 that could still handle snow and maybe dirt tracks that I might go on occasionally, but still be able to get me around the UK in comfort.

I've been told by the wife that I'm not allowed to modify the outside like the land rovers. So no nudge bar, spotlights, roof rack, lift kit :(
But so far I've upgraded to flat wipers (front & rear), mist washer jets, LEDs in all interior lights, led reverse bulbs, led fog light bulbs, new dab & bluetooth stereo, fixed the engine oil leak, led side light bulbs, all weather high beam h1 bulbs, fixed the broken diff switch and a piper cross panel air filter.

Next jobs are to tidy some paint work up, get winter tyres fitted, vinyl wrap the silver trim pieces on the dash (radio surround, gear stick surround, window switches). I've got done ebc brake pads on their way as these need changing.
Will upgrade the discs and flexible hoses next year sometime, just need new pads ASAP.

New stereo:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here is mine guys.
Located in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
2006 Se with the Adventure package.
Lowered on H&R springs.
JAOS grill and eye lids
Projector HID retrofit - Bo-Xenon( high and low beams with cutoff)
Philips-8 LED DRL (legal requirement)
Curt trailer hitch
redone all suspension with OE parts,pics below.
Kenwood dual din deck with infinity powered sub.
Volk C-V pro 18x9 +19 wheels
350z brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hear once you have one Xtrail in the family it isn't long before... My father just picked up his 2006 LE last week.:) There are the Twins over the weekend.

401 - 420 of 422 Posts