Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Christmas, my lovely wife got me the iPod I've been hinting at all year. Now I'm looking for the best way to hook it up to my 2005 X-Trail.

I've got a Canadian-spec SE AWD 5-spd with the in-dash 6-CD changer. I'm reluctant to get an FM-transmitter that has to compete with the dozens of stations we have in Toronto. I've also read the frequency response is quite narrow with these (e.g. PodFreq, iTrip).

Does anyone know if Nissan in their infinite wisdom hid an auxiliary input in the CD-changer deck? I'd love to just wire a cable into it and run it into the driver's side storage compartment so I could stash the iPod in there.

Failing this, I'll have to look into an FM-modulator that intercepts the antenna cable going into the deck. It's not as good as a direct link, but it beats the feeble transmitters available. Has anyone taken their deck out yet to see if it uses a standard antenna connector?

In anticipation of the responses saying "why don't you just ditch the factory deck," I'll say this: aftermarket decks nowadays suck.

Firstly, I find the sound of the factory unit acceptable, and I don't plan on doing any big upgrades to speakers or amps, etc. I built some kickin' systems in my twenties, but those money-burning days are behind me.

Secondly, I prefer the look of factory head units, and their relative lack of appeal to thieves.

Most importantly, the ergonomics of the big double-DIN factory deck are vastly superior to those of the single-DIN aftermarket decks. With their giant useless displays, flip-down faces and microscopic buttons you need to operate with tweezers, the aftermarket ones are, in my opinion, unsafe for use while driving. (I should say, to be fair, that the Japanese domestic market has some beautiful aftermarket double-DIN units, but their radio frequencies don't match ours.)

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!

·
Registered
110 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
For Christmas, my lovely wife got me the iPod I've been hinting at all year. Now I'm looking for the best way to hook it up to my 2005 X-Trail.

I've got a Canadian-spec SE AWD 5-spd with the in-dash 6-CD changer. I'm reluctant to get an FM-transmitter that has to compete with the dozens of stations we have in Toronto. I've also read the frequency response is quite narrow with these (e.g. PodFreq, iTrip).

Does anyone know if Nissan in their infinite wisdom hid an auxiliary input in the CD-changer deck? I'd love to just wire a cable into it and run it into the driver's side storage compartment so I could stash the iPod in there.

Failing this, I'll have to look into an FM-modulator that intercepts the antenna cable going into the deck. It's not as good as a direct link, but it beats the feeble transmitters available. Has anyone taken their deck out yet to see if it uses a standard antenna connector?

In anticipation of the responses saying "why don't you just ditch the factory deck," I'll say this: aftermarket decks nowadays suck.

Firstly, I find the sound of the factory unit acceptable, and I don't plan on doing any big upgrades to speakers or amps, etc. I built some kickin' systems in my twenties, but those money-burning days are behind me.

Secondly, I prefer the look of factory head units, and their relative lack of appeal to thieves.

Most importantly, the ergonomics of the big double-DIN factory deck are vastly superior to those of the single-DIN aftermarket decks. With their giant useless displays, flip-down faces and microscopic buttons you need to operate with tweezers, the aftermarket ones are, in my opinion, unsafe for use while driving. (I should say, to be fair, that the Japanese domestic market has some beautiful aftermarket double-DIN units, but their radio frequencies don't match ours.)

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers!
I'm in a simliar situation. For the moment I acquiesced and went with an iTrip. It works but the sound quality and signal are lousy - as you would expect. I'm hoping that after C.E.S. in Vegas there will be some other options. 've read about a product from Monster and a couple others but so far one thing I know for sure - ridiculously expensive. If you come up with anything let me know please.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update

My research on the web and inquiries at my Nissan dealership and at Kromer Radio in Toronto confirmed my suspicions:
a) the X-Trail SE's in-dash 6-CD changer has no possibility of AUX input. It can't control an external changer or sat radio module, and there's no hidden line-in.
b) the best-sounding option currently is to replace the factory deck with one of the new Alpine units (starting at $229cdn) with their iPod controller/charger ($150cdn). You also need a Nissan antenna adapter ($11cdn), a DIN pocket to fill in the empty space ($24cdn) and installation of it all.

The basic ergonomics are not as good as the factory deck, but way better than the latest round of JVC, Sony and Pioneer models. The Clarions are also not too bad, and apparently they have some iPod control solutions in the works. As you already know, most aftermarket decks offer line-in, but few yet let you control the iPod from their main controls as the Alpine and Clarion offerings do.

c) I was told by many that the next step down from this is an FM modulator ($185cdn installed from Kromer).

I haven't actually tried an FM Modulator, but I'm not completely convinced it would sound better than a cassette adapter. Cleanliness of the wiring is a point in its favor though - no unsightly wires snaking from the tape door. The frequency range of FM modulators seems to go from 30 to 15,000 Hz, whereas cassette adapters go from 50 to 20,000 Hz. Plus there's the matter of left-and-right channel separation being limited with FM radio. Unless you have a subwoofer installed in your X-Trail, you'll probably enjoy more of the frequency range with the cassette adaptor. On paper, anyway.

Most people agree that both the modulator and the cassette adapter sound better than FM transmitters. This, at least, I was able to verify myself.

My boss had both a Monster FM transmitter and a Monster cassette adapter, which he let me try out. The latter solution indeed sounded far better. The cassette adapter had no hiss, and didn't sound muffled like the FM transmitter. Also, no hassles with finding the right frequency. The only issue is its output is very hot when you run it from the iPod's line-out instead of the headphone jack. The volume is "cranked" when the deck is showing 11 or 12, instead of 31 when you're playing a CD. I had previously chosen an iPod charger with a line-out so I didn't have to run wires to both ends of the iPod. The iPod line-out is fixed-level and is not affected by the iPod volume setting.

I ended up buying the cassette adapter from my boss, since he wasn't using it anymore. It replaces the ancient Sony cassette adapter I had used initially - it sounded awful. At first, I thought all cassette adapters sounded that lousy, so I spent much time researching all the alternatives. The Monster cassette adapter retails for $20US - far cheaper than the FM transmitters.

When I come into some disposable money, I might spring for the bigger upgrade, but for now, the cassette adapter sounds acceptably good to me, and fits my budget.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are using the Belkin charger, there should be a volume adjuster on the actual lighter adapter. I have mine plugged in and it sounds pretty good for a cassette adapter.

I also tried the itrip and i found it to be pretty cool - but the reception in Toronto was horrible. Too many radio stations. Although I did take a road trip to North Bay and it worked great.

·
Nissan X-TRAIL Enthusiast
715 Posts
Kenwood iPod Adapters

Kenwood announces iPod auto adapter

Kenwood has announced a number of new car audio products that will be released throughout the first half of 2005, in conjunction with the celebration of the 25th Anniversary of the company's auto division. Among the new gear is a Kenwood iPod adapter.

Kenwood said the KCA-iP500 iPod adapter will be available in April for $179. It will support all 2003-2005 Kenwood and Kenwood Excelon in-dash receivers, including mobile video receivers with External Media Control. The company noted that the adapter also charges the iPod when connected, and supports ID3 tags for single and dual line display models.

·
Registered
48 Posts
ecrase2500 said:
My research on the web and inquiries at my Nissan dealership and at Kromer Radio in Toronto confirmed my suspicions:
a) the X-Trail SE's in-dash 6-CD changer has no possibility of AUX input. It can't control an external changer or sat radio module, and there's no hidden line-in.
b) the best-sounding option currently is to replace the factory deck with one of the new Alpine units (starting at $229cdn) with their iPod controller/charger ($150cdn). You also need a Nissan antenna adapter ($11cdn), a DIN pocket to fill in the empty space ($24cdn) and installation of it all.

The basic ergonomics are not as good as the factory deck, but way better than the latest round of JVC, Sony and Pioneer models. The Clarions are also not too bad, and apparently they have some iPod control solutions in the works. As you already know, most aftermarket decks offer line-in, but few yet let you control the iPod from their main controls as the Alpine and Clarion offerings do.

c) I was told by many that the next step down from this is an FM modulator ($185cdn installed from Kromer).

I haven't actually tried an FM Modulator, but I'm not completely convinced it would sound better than a cassette adapter. Cleanliness of the wiring is a point in its favor though - no unsightly wires snaking from the tape door. The frequency range of FM modulators seems to go from 30 to 15,000 Hz, whereas cassette adapters go from 50 to 20,000 Hz. Plus there's the matter of left-and-right channel separation being limited with FM radio. Unless you have a subwoofer installed in your X-Trail, you'll probably enjoy more of the frequency range with the cassette adaptor. On paper, anyway.

Most people agree that both the modulator and the cassette adapter sound better than FM transmitters. This, at least, I was able to verify myself.

My boss had both a Monster FM transmitter and a Monster cassette adapter, which he let me try out. The latter solution indeed sounded far better. The cassette adapter had no hiss, and didn't sound muffled like the FM transmitter. Also, no hassles with finding the right frequency. The only issue is its output is very hot when you run it from the iPod's line-out instead of the headphone jack. The volume is "cranked" when the deck is showing 11 or 12, instead of 31 when you're playing a CD. I had previously chosen an iPod charger with a line-out so I didn't have to run wires to both ends of the iPod. The iPod line-out is fixed-level and is not affected by the iPod volume setting.

I ended up buying the cassette adapter from my boss, since he wasn't using it anymore. It replaces the ancient Sony cassette adapter I had used initially - it sounded awful. At first, I thought all cassette adapters sounded that lousy, so I spent much time researching all the alternatives. The Monster cassette adapter retails for $20US - far cheaper than the FM transmitters.

When I come into some disposable money, I might spring for the bigger upgrade, but for now, the cassette adapter sounds acceptably good to me, and fits my budget.

Oh, No AUX input?!:jawdrop: Man I was planning to hook up the sound output from my future CarPC to the sound system through the stock head unit! Guess I have to raise up my budget to include an aftermarket unit with AUX now. :(:(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Auxiliary Audio Input for 2003-2004 Infiniti G35 and 2004 Nissan 350Z, Maxima, Murano and 2005 Altima with Satellite Ready Radios.

Nope...wont' work

·
Registered
57 Posts
The factory stereo isn't the greatest anyhow.. and the speakers are less to be desired. Best thing to do is to rip out the entire unit and get a proper system in. Why bother trying to bandaid up the existing unit - spend some cash and get a bumpin' system. :)

I like the ones you can get in the Japanese X-Trail.. very slick.. or this Pioneer.. http://www.avic-n1.com/

·
715 Posts
Kenwood 7015

Kenwood makes the radios/gps systems for Japan X-Trails... I did rip out the speakers and radio and replaced everything with the Kenwood 7015 etc... it was an extremely easy installation and fit perfectly in the dash.

Stephen

digitaloutlaw said:
The factory stereo isn't the greatest anyhow.. and the speakers are less to be desired. Best thing to do is to rip out the entire unit and get a proper system in. Why bother trying to bandaid up the existing unit - spend some cash and get a bumpin' system. :)

I like the ones you can get in the Japanese X-Trail.. very slick.. or this Pioneer.. http://www.avic-n1.com/

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thats a nice Pioneer system DigitalO :thumbup:

Stephen, could you call out all the speaker locations and sizes in the X-Trail for me please? Actually I'll start a new post so it listed for search.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah the stock 6-disc HU doesnt have an input. heheh dats why they made it into a 6-disc changer.

as for the FM modulator SQ, i have installed in mine cuz i have a DVD player, it sounds ok, it does the job,

anyway even if you had an RCA connection, it won't perform the same as a real home theatre because you would have to get the DSP to really enjoy Dolby digital 5.1 or DTS.

if you just want to use your i-pod, pioneer is also a good option. just get any pioneer HU(even single din) and their IP-bus interconnector, and that's it . . . .

·
715 Posts
Kenwood KCA-iP500 Available in U.S.

Hi!

Well I just ordered my iPod adapter... Crutchfield Audio has it in stock... before the April release... They just got it. If you interested and you have a Kenwood head the adapter is available now. When you call ask for Cooper.. he was superb! This is my second purchase from Crutchfield and it has always been top notch.

Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod™ Control Interface
Control your iPod with your Kenwood receiver $99.99
Item #113IP500

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BnLMcMuZ2xE/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=113IP500

Stephen

·
715 Posts
Kenwood Ipod Adapter

Well I received the Kenwood Ipod Adapter and I am now waiting for my iPod Photo to arrive. I hope to be able to hook everything up this weekend... depending on the weather.

Stephen

·
Registered
110 Posts
SCHESBH said:
Well I received the Kenwood Ipod Adapter and I am now waiting for my iPod Photo to arrive. I hope to be able to hook everything up this weekend... depending on the weather.

Stephen
Steve - long time no talk - can you do me a faovr and post a picture of your Kenwood install please ? I'd like to see how it looks. Also with the interface will the ipod display song title and information on the Kenwood HU ?

·
715 Posts
Not a problem

I still have not figired out where I want to mount it....I will take pictures... any suggestions? Belkin make a cup holder but that means running the wire through the dash... I might just do the glove compartment.... I don't have the iPod Photo yet... on order... sigh... why do we have to wait for everything!

Stephen

mfreedman said:
Steve - long time no talk - can you do me a faovr and post a picture of your Kenwood install please ? I'd like to see how it looks. Also with the interface will the ipod display song title and information on the Kenwood HU ?

·
715 Posts
X-Trail Mounting accessory!!!

Hey guys...

I found an actual X-Trail accessory available in North America!

http://www.proclipcanada.com/

They two fantastic X-Trail mounts for your cell phone, PDA, iPod... etc without the need to drill or stick!!!! Check them out and do a search for X-Trail and any device you may have.

They also told me that they have a local distributor in Canada located here in Laval Quebec who can also be reached at;

http://www.ppsonline.net

I ordered my kit from them for my X-Trail and iPod Photo and should have it shortly... now that solves a problem. I spoke with Wayne who also informed me that if any of us want specific X-Trail accessories... email him on the site and he is very interested in bringing in these to Canada. I will be sending him some suggestions

Stephen

1 - 20 of 36 Posts