Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new version X-trail, but I can't seem to find the answers my questions regarding the 4WD system, so I hope you guys can help :)

I know that there are 3 modes; 2WD, AUTO, LOCK (where the LOCK function locks the torque distribution to 50/50 to front and rear wheels up to a speed of 40 km/h, where it automatically switches to auto.)

The question is, what is the torque distribution on the AUTO mode? Is it a pure 2WD front wheel drive until a speed difference occurs between the front and rear wheels which then activates the 4WD? Or is there a certain amount of torque delivered to the rear wheels, for example 95/5 distribution front/rear?

I have a Subaru Forester at the moment with a fixed 50/50 torque distribution, og since I am a bit of a tecchie, I am very interested into knowing excactly how the Nissan 4WD system works.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new version X-trail, but I can't seem to find the answers my questions regarding the 4WD system, so I hope you guys can help :)

I know that there are 3 modes; 2WD, AUTO, LOCK (where the LOCK function locks the torque distribution to 50/50 to front and rear wheels up to a speed of 40 km/h, where it automatically switches to auto.)

The question is, what is the torque distribution on the AUTO mode? Is it a pure 2WD front wheel drive until a speed difference occurs between the front and rear wheels which then activates the 4WD? Or is there a certain amount of torque delivered to the rear wheels, for example 95/5 distribution front/rear?

I have a Subaru Forester at the moment with a fixed 50/50 torque distribution, og since I am a bit of a tecchie, I am very interested into knowing excactly how the Nissan 4WD system works.

Thanks guys!

yes - it proportionately delivers drive to the rear wheels, as per this thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, and thank you for your reply.

I've read the thread, but unfortunately it does not answer my question. From the informatin about the "AUTO" mode you have quoted in of your explanatory posts, it states that in AUTO mode:

"Close to front-wheel-drive". Many of the other replies assume that this means that in AUTO mode the vehicle is running with only 2WD, front wheel. I cannot seem to find any information that specifies what the torque distribution actually is. For example, Haldex, generation 3 and 4 (4-motion on Volkswagen) distribute 95% of torque to front wheels and 5% to the rear wheels under normal conditions, this distribution changes as per sensor directions under changing driving conditions.

There are many 4WD systems out ther, Haldex, Subarus AWD, Mercedes 4-matic, BMW x-drive, Audi Quattro, all have different characteristics, my question is; What is the torque distribution to the rear wheels under normal driving in AUTO mode, and what would the maximum of torque be delivered to the rear wheels if needed?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think as it varies, proportionately depending on sensor input, and it a clutch driven system, it could vary between 100/0 and 0/100% distribution.

As it is determined electronically, you cannot determine what it might be at any given moment, so dont worry about it - just enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts