Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just bought an intake the other day. I opened it up, pulled all the crap out and started looking it over; realizing it didnt really match what it was supposed to replace. It didnt even come with instructions to begin with which kind of sucks. Anyway, thats not the point. I looked the box over carefully, then reading the top in small white letters it said '90-99 200sx/G20'. Correct me if im wrong, but does that mean they're referring to SER motor? Is there any way I can make this intake fit my GA16? It started raining like hell before I had time to mess around with it and try and make it fit. I decided it might be better to ask someone who may know, first. Plus I feel stupid for buying the wrong intake. Thanks

·
MY PIRANNAS ARE BITTING
147 Posts
Nissan_4.2.0. said:
Hi. I just bought an intake the other day. I opened it up, pulled all the crap out and started looking it over; realizing it didnt really match what it was supposed to replace. It didnt even come with instructions to begin with which kind of sucks. Anyway, thats not the point. I looked the box over carefully, then reading the top in small white letters it said '90-99 200sx/G20'. Correct me if im wrong, but does that mean they're referring to SER motor? Is there any way I can make this intake fit my GA16? It started raining like hell before I had time to mess around with it and try and make it fit. I decided it might be better to ask someone who may know, first. Plus I feel stupid for buying the wrong intake. Thanks
who makes da thing?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wes said:
Exactly.. What brand of intake is it and if you could post a pic. that would show us what were dealing with...
Haha. Actually, after doing some extensive searching on the forums, I decided to throw the thing in the garbage and start off fresh with a HS CAI. The tube was bent in the wrong place and the filter wouldve never fit on properly in the engine bay. Burn and learn for me I guess. Thanks though

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Nissan_4.2.0. said:
let me guess....ebay?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
myoung said:
Filters don't go in the engine bay with CAI's
Sorry. Ive gotten into the bad habit of calling every piece of garbage that pulls in more air than a stock airbox a CAI. My bad

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I got my hotshot intake off of ebay for $79 Buy it now! along with a couple other guys, obviously this guy didn't know what he was selling. You should've saved the filter... they tend to rust faster when they sit in the wheel well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Twiz said:
I got my hotshot intake off of ebay for $79 Buy it now! along with a couple other guys, obviously this guy didn't know what he was selling. You should've saved the filter... they tend to rust faster when they sit in the wheel well.
Evidently not. I take this as a 'learning situation' to not buy cheap car parts :thumbup: Ive heard of peoples engines flogging because they suck up water from the wheel well. Dont know if this is true or not, but im really glad its sunny here most of the time. Anyway, so you suggest a HS CAI?

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I doubt it your engine will act as a sump pump, it doesn't have that much suction power. I drove thru heavy rain with the full stack intake without any problems. The filter is oiled, it won't let any moisture thru... and the water has to climb up almost 4 ft to reach your intake manifold. You'd have to immerse the filter end of the intake into a puddle of water and redline the engine and I bet your engine will stall before the water reaches your throttle body... But hey don't quote me on it.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
Nissan_4.2.0. said:
Evidently not. I take this as a 'learning situation' to not buy cheap car parts :thumbup: Ive heard of peoples engines flogging because they suck up water from the wheel well. Dont know if this is true or not, but im really glad its sunny here most of the time. Anyway, so you suggest a HS CAI?
Nothing to worry about... the only way that happens if you try to drive through water higher than your bumper and gun it..The filter has to be completely submerged to create enough suction pressure to draw it all the way up to cause damage. Don't listen to anyone that said it happened bacause they drove in rain.... not gonna happen

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
myoung said:
Nothing to worry about... the only way that happens if you try to drive through water higher than your bumper and gun it..The filter has to be completely submerged to create enough suction pressure to draw it all the way up to cause damage. Don't listen to anyone that said it happened bacause they drove in rain.... not gonna happen
Thats what I was thinking, youd have to pretty much be in deep shit (or water) before anything bad happened. I think what Twiz said about driving in puddles is what I was reading about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts