Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I got great news...
I was joking with my dad about wanting a 350 Z (I thought it was out of my league), and he said, "well, why dont you trade in your car and use it as a down payment"!!!! i have a 200 sx se
At first i thought i couldnt afford it but, when i looked them up I found out that the model i want is only around $29,000
i want the Enthusiast model, it is the one with the automatic transmission that can be switched to a manual...
My question is,
Is this kinda transmission reliable, and how much will it cost to replace if/ when it goes...
thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I dont have the exact answer to your question,but I do know that between the years on 1991-1996 there were no better made automatic transmitions than the ones used in the 300zx then.I had a 1991 300zx 2+2 then and found that information in many articles.So if I know nissan like I do(I have a 2002 Altima 3.5se with the auto-which you can slide over to engage the overdrive-)then id say your pretty safe.BTW did you check on the price of insurance?That was the deciding factor in me getting the 1991 333zx 2+2 auto back then vs the 1991 300zx TT 5-speed. Well the price had a little to do with it but mostly the price of insurance!LOL Well Good luck with the Z:)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, I'm 19 with no accidents or points on my license and I have had my license for 3 years... Im guessing insuranse should be around 135-160, its $50 a month right now on my 97 200 sx se

·
Registered
249 Posts
john200sx said:
well, I'm 19 with no accidents or points on my license and I have had my license for 3 years... Im guessing insuranse should be around 135-160, its $50 a month right now on my 97 200 sx se
i was told the break comes in when you are 21.

·
Registered
135 Posts
damn thats cheap! Not to start a story post, but I am 17 w/ 2 accidents and 3 point on my license, and my insurance is around 260/month!!!! I can't wait until I turn 18 so my points will be cleared and my insurance will drop, its a killer!

Ju§tin

·
Registered
674 Posts
350zx with auto?! Go for the 6-speed. An auto 350zx would have to be a girls car. No offense. There would be a huge performance difference in manual or automatic. Besides a manual is cheaper. And you can't dump the clutch in an auto.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
350z auto vs 350z 6-speed-----sure there is going to be a slight performance differance! A girls car ? Sure it could be, but to say its not a bad ass car your crazy! Go to the drag strip sometime Id say thet youll be surprised how many fast racers have a automatic transmition.Tthe auto is much more consistant on the track. As far as dumping the clutch in a 350z all thats going to do(besides the extreem ware)is send you into a flat circle! LOL any how you look at it 350z auto or 6-speed that is a awsome car!

·
Registered
249 Posts
jEzTeR said:
LOL any how you look at it 350z auto or 6-speed that is a awsome car!

all Zs are bad ass!
in fact, all Nissan are bad ass cars!!!(except maybe for the Quest;-))

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hmm, you can peel out with an auto. Just rev the car up in neutral and quickly pop it into D or 1...whichever. Also...I can think of some nissan cars that aren't bad ass, but I shant mention which ones, since a lot of people on this sentra forum have one....

Ju§tin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crono1321 said:
Hmm, you can peel out with an auto. Just rev the car up in neutral and quickly pop it into D or 1...whichever. Also...I can think of some nissan cars that aren't bad ass, but I shant mention which ones, since a lot of people on this sentra forum have one....

Ju§tin
OMG! Some people are all about tearing up a nice car! LOL Please dont put any auto in N and rev it up then drop it into gear!
You can get wheel in an auto by just stomping the gas and some fast cars will even bark 2nd when they shift.Having an automatic is a differant thing and should be treated that way.BTW 1 or 2 reckless driving tickets will teach you that its not such a good idea to be leaving rubber trails all over town.(not to mention the cost of new tires or a new clutch)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is that a serious question? In manual you can drag out gears to get better speed, and you can always shift ::Technically:: into any gear to be in a better power range, while an auto might just stay in the same gear, giving you lag.

Ju§tin

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unless you live in an area where you'll be driving in a lot of traffic, I'd say go with the manual. First off, you're getting a sports car, and a nice 6-speed manual transmission will go quite nice with it. Autos are alright...after learning how to drive manual and driving manual everyday, there's no way I'd be able to go back to autos. I just find manuals so much fun and so rewarding to drive, I'm still learning new things. And about the tiptronic transmission or whatever Nissan is calling it with their models...it's really not that great. My mom's Volvo Cross Country sport wagon has it, and it's fun to play around with, but it doesn't feel like a manual at all. Anyway, it's up to you...I'd say if you don't know how to drive stick, give it a try...it's frustrating at first, but it's a ton of fun once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
do you realize that the first year of cars has been alocted. They sold all the 2003's that there going to make, which means unless you buy from a private dealer for over the sticker price you can't get one. My neibor just got the inside track on one but IF he is lucky enought to get it, he'll be paying over 35,000 for it. go to your local dealer and see if he can hold a strait face when you ask him if they can get you one for the sticker price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
350Zs aren't all sold out for the entire first year. However, the next few months are.

And if you want to get an auto because it's better at the drag strip... you should get a car that's going to be better at the drag strip to go along with it. Zs were never made to be good drag racers. They have much better potential for other motorsports, like road courses. Besides, who really lives their life a quarter mile at a time, besides corny Fast and the Furious characters? :p There's so much more to driving, and a manual tranny makes it so much more fun! Plus, it's a 6 speed! 6 speeds rule!

Also, don't underestimate how much insurance will cost you on a brand new car. Someone I know has a 1990 300ZXTT and bought a 2001 Xterra. 75% of his total insurance bill was the Xterra, even though it was only a 4 cyl model. It's still worth more than the old car, and needs to be insured for more. A 350Z is worth a hell of a lot more than a 97 200sx. This difference is even bigger than my friend's 90TT vs Xterra value. It takes 5 minutes to call your insurance company and ask, and it's worth it! You don't want to be selling your 350Z 2 months later because the insurance bill on top of the payments killed you. Btw, the big break on insurance rates doesn't come until you're 25 or get married. And it probably doesn't come at all if your record is bad!

Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
BORNGEARHEAD said:
350zx with auto?! Go for the 6-speed. An auto 350zx would have to be a girls car. No offense.
I forgot to mention...

I take offense to this! :D

First, there's no X in 350Z. ;)

Second, I've been driving a stick since I was 15. My best friend, Scott (a male), has been driving an automatic since he was 16 and only just learned how to drive stick a month ago at age 23. He was scared pantsless, too.

Lots of girls don't drive autos, and lots of guys do.

--Sarah

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im sure that ever guy out there with an auto also takes offence to that! LOL Mine is a 6-speed;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
is anybody else disturbed by the comment "the auto is faster at the strip"...? who's driving the stick may I ask, not me obviously because i've never had a slower pass in a manual than an auto.

Has anyone driven the 350 yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts