Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used 05 LE w/ 40k miles about 2 months ago. I'm in SE PA. I can't get anything above 16 mpg mixed. I drive very cautiously, always keeping the rpms below 2500 - most of the time under 2000. Plus I've checked everything I know of and can't get it any better. Is this normal???

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an 08 S-model 4x4 pathy and the minimum i get is 16mpg...and i drive 80 everywhere i go. On the highway ill get around 20. I recently installed a K&N air intake kit and im in the process of testing better mpg.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What kind of tires are on the truck? That will really bring down the mileage. Our 05 used to get 16.5 to 17.5 with 50/50 driving. Now I have Bridgestone Revo's and the mileage is down around 14 I think. Just got them almost 2 months ago.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually just put on new tires - Yoko Geolanders. Already have a K&N, didn't seem to help. When I first got it mpg was higher but since the new tires and/or the colder temps came it has dropped. I had no idea what oil was in there when I bought it so I just put in thinner oil so we'll see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Kone: I've got 01 PF LE 4WD, get 12-13 mpg in the City; about 17-18 on highway depending on speeds. Just got tune -up at 113k miles & new General Grabbers HTS tires (which btw, are awesome as far as ride quality, cornering, comfort), looking to see if mileage increases. Check the tire pressure: label says 26 lbs...... I keep the new tires at 33lbs - tried 35 lbs, felt too hard for this tire. My mechanic told me a few years ago when I had Michelin LTXs on the truck, to keep the pressure at 35-36. That did increase the mpgs a bit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
crappy mileage on my 05

that's about all you'll get. i live in Delaware where it is pretty flat and get about 17 on highway and city together. If I run like an old lady and go 55 mph on the freeway with little acceleration I could get 19 if I am lucky. I pulled a pop up camper to Florida all highway and got 15 mpg. I wish I could say more. I had my pathfinder for 4 yrs. and as long as gas stays down it's not too bad. it hurts at 415 a gallon with the 75 dollar fill ups. 29 now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the norm for the 4.0 liter 15-20 mpg. Make sure you are using 5w-30 oil and a nissan oil filter. Premium high octane brad name(bp\chevron) fuel will get much better mpg in the 4.0 as well. It costs more but this engine was originally designed around high octane fuel. The computerized timing controls with low octane fuel will cause pinging and retarded timing causing low mpg.

Gtrmaster

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just changed oil to 5/30 and mpg went up a little - now running just under 16 mpg. I did try one tank of premium but it didn't help at all. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have yoko open country 265/75/16, k&n air filter made mpg lower, but gave faster acceleration switched back to nissan certified, and i use 5w30 synthetic i get 11 to 15 mpg in city,18 to 24 highway at 55 using cruise control.

05 pathfinder se

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i've been thinkin about this more and i got me wondering... assuming an 05 has an oil cooler (i'm pretty sure it does) could this be helping to reduce mpg when it's winter? oil is always cold unless driven a good distance/time?

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok so i've been thinkin about this more and i got me wondering... assuming an 05 has an oil cooler (i'm pretty sure it does) could this be helping to reduce mpg when it's winter? oil is always cold unless driven a good distance/time?
funny thing you mention this, i notice a lot of trucks with cardboard over there oil cooler for the winter...hmmm ill have to google this.cause it does seem that my car is sluggish till i been driving for a good 10-15 mins.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've thought about dropping the spare tire but as soon as I do, BANG, Murphy and his law will pay me a visit. I'd love to ditch the 3rd row seat, that thing's massive and worthless to me.

Still thinking about that oil cooler though...I'm gonna put some cardboard behind the grill on that side and run a tank. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it's been in the 50's here the last few days and my 05 Pathy has definitely shown increased mpgs with the warmer temps. I'd guess 1.5 - 2 mpg. so i'd say this adds some support to my "cold oil/oil cooler" theory?

·
Registered
14 Posts
what about using Amsoil Ive used that in other vehicles and noticed a little increase in mpg, Has anyone tried that and had good results?

·
Registered
200 Posts
ok what u ahve to realize is the newer pathys have a bigger v6 nand weigh more which means less mpg. you can only up it a lil but not much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts