Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some Mobil1 0W-30 oil for my '93 Sentra. It promises 2% better MPG and says that it is approved for applications where 5W- or 10W-30 is recommended. So, I get 35 MPG on my Sentra on a good day and this oil should take it to 35.7 and, presumably, a bump in power. My car has 211,000 and burns no oil, so the thinness of the oil should be no problem. I'll report back if the results are spectacular but in the meantime, has anyone used it?

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
Most German cars use 0W-30 weight motor oil; it is more for high performance applications than standard engines. You'll see BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi, and Volkswagen all use this type of oil; they all also recommend only 93 octane fuel. The oil provides less resistance to the crank while lubricating. I would just suggest you get a good quality synthetic (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc.) and just run the factory recommended grade.

P.S. I believe Volkswagen 4-cylinder diesels also run 0W-30, but that seems wrong. I remember having to look up the oil recommendation while I worked at a car parts store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
0w-30 oil in a standard engine will only allow you to be able to crank easier at lower ambient temps. No real gain in MPG should be expected as the viscosity is the same as 5w-30 or 10w-30 at 100 degree C. The only saving you may get are from faster starts. W stands for winter.

5W-20 may increase MPG and reduce overall wear, 5w-30 breaks down into this viscosity anyway in a short amount of miles. However if your engine burns oil changing to this will be worse. If your engine burns oil goto 10w-40 if you are in a mild climate.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the results so far are less than spectular. There is no noticeable increase in power (as expected) and MPGs are about the same, but with extremely careful drivng I did manage 36 MPG. Maybe during cold weather there will be a difference. In the meantime, since it cost the same as regular Mobil1 ($5.67, I think) I'll just keep on usuing it as there is nothing to lose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts