Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had my mind set on buying a CRV for quite the time. But the I realized that it could not tow my 1,500 LB boat/trailer. So my mind is not set on the more sleek Xtrail.

Some of the problems I have seen posted here have got me scared though. Like the door not closing and rust on the 2005 models :|

I have got a budget of Exactly $10,000 and I need a vehicle that will be reliable and able to tow 1,500 LBS.

Is the X trail the right vehicle for me?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I would answer, but as I just bought one 3 weeks ago, that's your answer. And I spent months researching the small suv market. It was the test drive in the Nissan that sold me in the end. It handles and drives nicer than the escape, crv, highlander, liberty, and pilot. If you look at some of the concerns from those vehicles, it makes the Nissan look bullet proof. Plus everytime I called a mechanic about the Nissan, including the Nissan dealerships, they gave me what I thought was a pretty no nonsense straight, no hesitation "the x-trail is a solid car, don't hardly ever see them in the shop." The Xtrail also has the largest cargo capacity with the back seats up, and the 2nd largest with them down only second to the Highlander. In australia the xtrail is rated for something like 4000kg towing. Its only over here that because of the crappy aftermarket you are stuck with a class 1 hitch. I am personally going to get a class two fabed up. The xtrail also gets the best gas milage of all the small suv's and I will bet dollars to donuts that the 2.5 in the xtrail will tromp the 6 cylinder in the escape in acceleration. Also, as long as you find one with less than 100000km's it has a power train warrenty. Escapes only have 3 year/60000km powertrain.

Well, the door not closing is a concern, but I don't really think it's that expensive to fix if you have to do it. They pull the door and replace the solonoid. I think someone on here quoted like 300 to fix it, but I could be wrong. Rust? Well, I plan on taking mine to krown as it isn't rusting yet.
?
Now if you want one for 10000? The xtrail is not for really for you. I didn't see any with less than 100000kms for less than $12000, and those were curbside type places. Expect to spend 13-15K for a good one. Unless you want a basic fwd with no options, then you might meet your budget.
Cheers, TBK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, seems like you did your research and came to the same conclusion as me. As for the price, are you sure about that? Here's one from autotrader thats got just under 100K and is all wheel drive.

2005 NISSAN XTRAIL WAGON 4 DOOR

·
Registered
136 Posts
other than the $10k ure plannin to spend did u put aside an extra 2-3k to replace necessary parts?
Looks like you're gonna end up buying from a curbside/semi-curbside dealer and their warranty is very limited. Parts are gonna need replacing very soon on any 100k vechicle and you better for the $$$ ready, especially you are doing heavy duty towing. Afterall this is not a F150...lol

other than that happy shopping and welcome another GTA member !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of parts? In my eyes a reliable car would not need $2-3K in parts replacement after 100 clicks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Well the link you posted is for a ucda dealer. That is good. The price is pretty decent, I would say reasonable. The xtrails I looked at were all LE's top of the line. The lower models like I said under 100K (my criteria was 70K) were in the 12-14 range. You knock off $1000 for every 15000kms over 70000kms and 1000 for the older model year. Add the awd and I would say $10000 is pretty reasonable. I wanted to have at least a year of powertrain warranty just in case. You will likely get a 30 day warranty from the ucda dealers. If you read the australian xtrail sight you will get some good info on repairs. I bought this car because it has a solid engine and powertrain. You don't usually need major repairs on these vehicles. You can expect a brake job at the dealership to run 600 and to do suspension around $1500 But my information so far says the struts are really good and last well into the 150K, and the brakes need to be cared for (lube the caliper pins every year) and they should last 50 to 75K easy.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What kind of parts? In my eyes a reliable car would not need $2-3K in parts replacement after 100 clicks.
Mine has 93000km and i ve changed the rear bearing done some rust repair(under warranty)(hatch hand and left rear fender)Engine s ok transmission too.Every year i check the brakes,adjust the hand brake and do the normal stuff.By the way lots of fun on snow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
NZ X-Trail

I bought my 06 with 98,000 km for $16,000 kiwi (about $9,000 us) direct from Nissan. Now got 115,000 km, towed the boat and done some mild off-roading. So far, minor service and brake pads. Pulls well, good fuel consumption and does pretty much what it says on the tin. Buy another one...well probably yes!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm at 180000km on my XT now. 3 rear wheel bearings, and I had to do the brakes.
Other than that, it has treated us very good, with good fuel economy.
We have the 5-speed base model.
If you can find one that was well maintained, I would go for it.

I would buy another new one in a heartbeat, but they are not offered anymore here in Canada. None of the other offerings from Nissan appeal to me right now. The Rogue is too 'carlike' for my liking, and I'm hearing mixed reviews on it. Their other SUVs are heavy and like gas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife's

My wife bought one. I was nervous about it at first and didn't want her to buy the very first one she seen. She had been testing other brands and like the Nissan the best. Her's is top of it's line I think, leather and 4X4 etc. When I first drove it I thought it was odd that the instrumnet cluster was in the centre of the dash, but there is something nice about the wide flat hood.

Anyhow, can't say much about it right now other then Nissan seams to be treating her good and they seam to want to make sure she is happy with Nisssan (Nissan Canada called one night to ask if she was satisfied with the warranty work being done.) Now she bought it from a well established used car lot locally. It was running out of time for warranty and she hasn't owned if 6 months. But the second dealership we took it too (the first was a disappointment) has done the rear wheel bearings and brakes I believe and the left quarter panel rust repair. The impressive thing with the rust repair was that it wasn't much more then minor discolouration in the wheel well.

Real nice, this is a first for having a car with warranty. I hope Honda is as good if need be with my first car with warranty!

·
Registered
168 Posts
you know you can import and x-trail from Mexico... but not sure how much import taxes and other add on $ that would be....

·
Registered
18 Posts
This will be the first winter for my wife to drive our '06. I stayed away from the '05 when looking for one because of the known rust issues. We bought it for the seats and options. My wife as a poor back and the seats were the best we tested. The X-trail drives well, but not as planted on the road as the 2nd gen AWD CRV. The X-Trail is more for the money than a CRV. We own two Hondas as well and it is difficult to compete with Honda quality.
I doubt if you will find one for $10,000. We payed $15,700 for a '06 with 70,000kms. (a similar CRV was selling for $20,000)
We will know how this thing performs when the rubber hits the road. (actually rubber hits the ice and snow)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well I had my mind set on buying a CRV for quite the time. But the I realized that it could not tow my 1,500 LB boat/trailer. So my mind is not set on the more sleek Xtrail.

Some of the problems I have seen posted here have got me scared though. Like the door not closing and rust on the 2005 models :|

I have got a budget of Exactly $10,000 and I need a vehicle that will be reliable and able to tow 1,500 LBS.

Is the X trail the right vehicle for me?
If you want total reliability, buy a Toyota if you can afford one.
X trail brand new is fine as it is covered by manufacturers warranty, but once you go outside warranty it is a complete box of tricks that will make a big hole in your finances. The sad part is that most Nissan dealers are so deceitful about known faults and problems. You have been warned!
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
buy-sell merry-go-round

i've got my '05 Xtrail for sale with 118K km. wanted to upgrade and liked the '07 CRV- finally has back hatch lifting up instead of gate style w/spare tire. but prices are steep on CRV, honda dealers are arrogant and snotty, and CRV is not as good on gas as xtrail. starting to think if i don't get a reasonable price, will keep xt till it dies. i've had mine for 2 years, spent $3 on a bulb- and oil changes of course- no rust issues! tried to find out if and when to change timing belt, and nissan told me there isn't one- it's a timing chain--that was welcome news. overall it's been a good ride. the biggest issue for me is a possible breakdown in USA when we travel there-since never was imported to US-would have to wait for possible parts.
As an aside: the local ICBC shop here in BC town where I live, owns at least 3-4 XT's as company cars for their employees. I hoped it was because of its reliability, and not because Nissan gave them an awesome deal-lol! The XT is unmatched in snow- awesome, and variable 4wd switch is great feature. sounds like i talked myself out of leaving XT behind!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi fellow xt owners, just picked up a 2005 xt se with 5 speed and I'm amazed with this little SUV. Was looking at the Jeep liberty very hard but settled on the xt and boy I'm glad. looking forward to the 4x4 action in the snow and ice.... cheers from Canada

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi fellow xt owners, just picked up a 2005 xt se with 5 speed and I'm amazed with this little SUV. Was looking at the Jeep liberty very hard but settled on the xt and boy I'm glad. looking forward to the 4x4 action in the snow and ice.... cheers from Canada
Ugh. We test drove a Liberty before we bought our X-Trail in 2005. What a horrible driving beast that is. The steering is wooden, it brakes like a cruise ship, and it apparently consumes gas like one as well.

Mate it with a good set of winter tires, and it is awesome in snow. I have a hell of a time trying to have some fun in the corners, it tracks so well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ugh. We test drove a Liberty before we bought our X-Trail in 2005. What a horrible driving beast that is. The steering is wooden, it brakes like a cruise ship, and it apparently consumes gas like one as well.

Mate it with a good set of winter tires, and it is awesome in snow. I have a hell of a time trying to have some fun in the corners, it tracks so well.
Yes, I already went out and picked up some yokohama ice guards, these winter tires feell like all seasons but apparently are the best on ice and snow, but people with blizzaks will say otherwise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with clydesider. I had a 1999 Honda CRV and a family member still drives it - only thing that has been replaced from the obvious consumables are the brakes and battery. When the X-Trail was under warranty it seemed to be OK except for the service engine light coming on due to a problem with the fuel system (guage and float inside the gas tank as well as gas cap). I have had to replace all wheel bearings, the rear stabilizer bar and bushings, the catalytic converter and now there seems to be a problem with one of the ball joints and the struts. Its becoming a money pit and I regret not sticking with Honda.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Irish06j: weird to read my post on nov/09. I bought an '07 CRV last month. sold XT after the tire kicking Honda dealer offered 2G less than I sold for privately on craigslist. so far am happy with it, solid car. Our ongoing problem since may/10- with xt was indeed the master brake cylinder. Fortunate to find used part, as apparently it almost never goes, and was repaird in one day- $300 part included, before a buyer came and offered me what I wanted for the XT. Buyer loves Nissan, so went to a good home. I will say the XT is fab on snow/ice, but frozen doors, noisy brakes, cheap interior (despite not cheap purchase price), and worry about parts if out of country was the bottom line. it's our first Honda, so hope we have a good experience. (was happy to hear CRV has a timing chain as well). I have no illusions about used cars, so time will tell how good Honda is. As far as Toyota...my friend has a new Highlander and I was shocked at how non-cushy it was. felt like a hard suspension truck on a ride...not impressed, considering the cost of them! I hope I don't have to look for another vehicle for a long time, it is so tedious, and so much lying going on out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would NOT buy an X. We have sunk so much money in ours it is rediculous. Everytime it goes in for an oil change we get a call saying somethig else is wrong. I cannot wait till Aug when we return it. It is a decent vehicle but it's loud as hell, as mentioned too many issues, OEM tires crap! We have never had to put so much money in a vehicle...ever.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts