Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A FEW QUESTIONS/SUGGESTIONS WELCOME:

I was just searching through ebay, and found this intercooler. just wondering if it would fit, Im wanting to get an intercooler for my skyline its an R33 GTS-T 96'. This would be the first step to my upgrading the turbo, well intake system. any suggestions would be great, and even a place to buy some skyline parts.

HDI RS SPEC INTERCOOLER KIT SKYLINE R32 R33 R34 HYBRID - eBay (item 160327841488 end time Apr-22-09 02:45:46 PDT)

Does the GTS-T have a blow off valve? If not what would i have to do to get one? Or would that require me to upgrade the turbo. yes i love the sound of the blow off valve's thats why im asking. maybe this one: eBay Motors: RS TYPE BLOW OFF VALVE UNIVERSAL SKYLINE R32 R33 350Z (item 280332523326 end time Apr-17-09 10:19:03 PDT)

Or overall, the skyline has about 64,000miles on her and im wanting to do some engine upgrades, i know its gonna cost a pretty penny but lets start off with some do it yourselfers if thats possible. Im in the military and have some time off so what would you all suggest doing to her just to improve her performance?

·
Registered
630 Posts
before i start i must say something...

there is no such thing as an R33 GTS-t.... there are only these
HR33 GTS - 2.0 L RB20E SOHC I6, 130 PS (96 kW, 172 N m)
ER33 GTS25 - 2.5 L RB25DE DOHC I6, 190 PS (140 kW, 231 N m)
ENR33 GTS-4 - 2.5 L RB25DE DOHC I6, 190 PS (140 kW, 231 N m) AWD
ECR33 GTS25T - 2.5 L RB25DET DOHC turbo I6, 250 PS (184 kW, 294 N m)

now that that is out of the way... from my guess you have a GTS25T...

if you want to upgrade your intercooler dont bother with ebay junk... first off you may get one that wont leak... ive seen 1-2 that havent had leaks out of hundreds... not with my own eyes but from fellow enthusiasts... they also weight a ton, the core is usually crap and has poor flow... if you want to upgrade your intercooler, just get a GTR33/34 intercooler... they are good for upto 500whp for flow, they also dont weigh as much as ebay junk... sure they may be painted black... but with a lil bit of striper and some steel wool they come out looking clean... then just spray on some sealer and your good to go... also keep in mind that if you go tooo big for an intercooler it will cause alot of lag... all the more reason to go for the GTR intercooler...

if you go the GTR intercooler route you should also upgrade to hard piping for the intercooler as this will increase response and lower lag

as for a blow off valve.... again keep away from ebay junk... it wont bolt right on so you'd need some kind of adapter plate... and from the horror stories they leak, dont hold boost and dont always blow-off at the right time... all turbo skylines come with a blow off valve... but it is usually a recirculating type... which means if you change to an atmospheric type and dont change your engine tuning you can lean out the engine since the system will be looking for the recirculated air...

you dont have to upgrade the turbo as the turbo and the blow-off valve are seperate pieces...

if you like the sound they make then by all means get one... just know that it can cause issues if you dont tune the car after... also if you like the sound then go for an hks ssqv and remove the lil triangle vent/gaurd and it will go pshhhh nice and loud...

as for other go fast goodies... you dont need many... id look at upgrading other parts of the car... suspension, brakes, a proper tune is worth 25-40whp.. weight reduction(this is the cheapest go fast goody) etc etc...

hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i know that im just abrieviating i find it easier for my fingers to find the - key rather than 25....wow not to much of a diff.....sorry thats just my opinion and in talk with my buddy we know what we are talking bout so we dont have to say 25. my bad.

As for buying a r34/33 gtr intercooler i still wouldnt know where to get one. that would help if you know a website to buy one from. ive searched google and getting frustrated.

and i did a lil research on the hks bov so i think ima wait to see if i get the r33/34 gtr intercooler and then run hard piping and then attach the bov...idk ill have to wait and see. thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
a good site is yahoo japan auctions.. but unless you can read japanese you might have troubles...

your best bet to finding used parts like the GTR intercooler would be on car forums... there are 3 dedicated skyline forums i can think of

GTRCanada.com is one, the other two are Welcome - GTR OWNERS CLUB for the uk and GTR-AUS : Australian owners 1000GTR & 1400GTR they will have tons of parts in the forums, and tons more information...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts