Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddies father has a body shop and her recently got a 93 SER wrecked. The insurance paid the car's owner back the shop got to keep it for parts. He said I can have any part on that car that I want for no charge. What I want to know is if it is worth it to swap the engine into my car if it is free. Everything is mechanically sound. I have a 1995 sentra GXE. I just want to know everybody's opinion. I would have all necessary parts to do the swap and both are 5 speed fwd (of course) so everything seems to match up. I would imagine all that I would need to do is get the ECU reprogrammed. Is it worth it?

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
I don't know a lot about the sr20de switch but I can say that there is never such a thing as an easy engine swap. There are hundreds of variables which can quickly become a technical nightmare. I would do some serious research on the boards and also check the sr20deforum. You may get the engine for free but may be paying huge amounts of $ for labor, parts, and unforeseen problems. Just my 2 cents.:D

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
let's see, engine swap, harness, ecu, mounts. that's a lot, but yeah, it'd be way better to really do some extensive research on this, heck, even i would jump at the chance if i were in your place.....

·
Paging Mr. Herman
1,042 Posts
I agree, any chance you can get a free engine you should go for it, especially an sr20de. All I'm saying is to definitely know what you are getting into before you start tossing things out of your hood. If it doesn't work out you could sell it and make a couple of grand or use it for a coffee table or something ;)

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts
i say go for it...i mean if you can do it yourself or have some friends who know what they are doing and are willing to help go for it. only reason im not doing a swap is bc nitrous or the new turbo kit is an easier install and might turn out to be cheaper when im done.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
well, you got all the parts you need. Pretty much, all you have to do is rip everything outta the bay and put it into your bay direct fit. Only problem would be the time and work that would be behind the swapping process. Also, you will need just about everything from the SE-R's engine bay to make it work (aka: radiator, alternator, power steering...i believe:confused:...)

·
P.O.S. Truckdriver
2,070 Posts

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that link, I plan to go through with the swap over Christmas break. I'll let everybody know how it turns out :)
-James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts