Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 SE-R won't start. It doesn't even crank over. When i turn the key there is just a clicking sound. The lights, radio and everything else works but the car won't start. Could anyone possibly tell me whats wrong or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
most likely starter, turn the key and try to start it while someone gives the starter a good whack that normally lets ya know that its goin

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
D-nycest said:
My 92 SE-R won't start. It doesn't even crank over. When i turn the key there is just a clicking sound. The lights, radio and everything else works but the car won't start. Could anyone possibly tell me whats wrong or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.
It could be several things:
- A bad contact at the battery. Remove the cables and look for deposits. Clean the terminals with a wire brush or sandpaper. Use sandpaper to clean the inside of the cable connectors.
- A bad ground contact at the engine. Disconnect and re-connect.
- A bad cable (replace)
- A bad battery (replace)
- A bad starter (replace)

Listed in order of easiest/least expensive to fix to hardest/most expensive to fix.

Lew

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 89 sentra did the excat same thing you are describing when I first got it. I almost guarantee that the problem is with the terminals. Mine had huge deposits and where in pretty bad shape. I just rubbed them down with a wire brush and the problem was fixed. Just make sure the terminals are on there very tight when you do put them back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts