Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 SE-R. 170,000 miles and runs like a top until recently.

For some reason it will not start. It is not the battery, plenty of power there. I can bump start it just fine. I turn the ignition switch on and all the power is there but the starter is not engaging at all. The clutch cable was recently adjusted but it ran fine up until a few days ago when the no-start started. So I know (or think I do) that the clutch was still finding the neutral zone to start after it was adjusted. Is it a starter problem? I was in Pep boys the other day and they wanted almost $300.00 for a starter, and that was not installed! So, anyone got any ideas as to what i may be looking at. I am thinking starter but i would like to exhaust all other possibilities before having it replaced. I know there is a lot of knowledge here and I know that someone can help me.

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got a rebuilt used starter for $50. Is there any noise at all when you turn the key. On mine, I could hear the solenoid pull in but the rotor was fried so it didn't turn at all.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
have someone try to start the car while u give the starter a good wack if that works then u deff need a starter

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
How old is your starter ? Did the car start after the clutch cable was adjusted (misadjusted)? You could take a look at the neutral switch which is located on the lower right side of the transaxle and you could try to backprobe it with a voltage tester. Pulling the starter out for testing is not difficult... It could be done in 10 to 20 minutes and everything is done from the top.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If it's a manual, could you push start it. After it's started, you could use the key to engage the starter for just the briefest time. This would rotate the starter just a little. Then shut the car off and try to start. If it works, you've got a starter with a burnt out segment, start calling around for a new one. This all assumes your starter solenoid is working. I'm guessing it is because you didn't say anything about hearing the starter whine but not engage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts