Nissan Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4X4 2000 Frontier with a 3.3L engine, and I am getting only about 17 mpg. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get better gas milage out of these trucks?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Remove the engine and transmission. Push it uphill and coast downhill.

There is no magic. You have a relatively heavy vehicle with lots of drag. Your mileage is in the ballpark for this cobination. Other than good maintenance (e.g. tire pressures, proper oil, good state of tune) and driving habits (e.g. reduce speed) there is not a lot you can do. If you do not have a tonneau cover for the bed that can help for highway use (I saw a 1 to 2 mpg improvement with my XE King Cab).

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Remove the engine and transmission. Push it uphill and coast downhill.

There is no magic. You have a heavy vehicle with lots of drag. Other than good maintenance (e.g. tire pressures, proper oil, good state of tune) and driving habits (e.g. reduce speed) there is not a lot you can do.

Steve
Well, I tried that, and seems to me like its easier to just walk without having to push it. But, 25 miles back and forth to work could take more than just a few mins.

I am getting ready to start doing some experiments with my truck, and was just wondering if somebody was already ahead of me.

Oh, by the way gas went up to $3.59 here today. Congrats to the gas companies.

·
Registered
182 Posts
We are at $1.22 a litre up. There are 4.54 litres to a gallon.

That $5.54 a gallon. I wish it as cheap it was down there. Costs me $90 to fill my truck.

I have a 2005 SE 4 x 4. After my little VW golf got totalled Ive been driving my truck daily, etc. Im getting about 600 kms a tank, thats about 375 a tank on average. Thats combined highway and city driving

Ive got a tonneau cover as well and from reading on here my gas milage is pretty good. I just make sure to stay the speed limit, no jack rabbit starts and make sure Im not speeding up to red lights, etc. Tire pressure is checked weekly

Ive measured up to 25 mpg on the highway, but I maintain my vehicle well. I thinking about getting a cold air intake put in because thats supposed to give you even better milage

Anyone else put on of these in, do they work

·
Registered
515 Posts
Ive measured up to 25 mpg on the highway, but I maintain my vehicle well. I thinking about getting a cold air intake put in because thats supposed to give you even better milage

Anyone else put on of these in, do they work
I'd expect the opposite (worse gas mileage) from a cold air intake. Cold air intakes make more power because you can provide a denser fuel air mixture to the cylinders. For a given air/fuel mixture that says you are delivering more fuel to the cylinders. Hotter engine operation generally gives higher efficiency.

One thing guitarplayinman can look at is parasitic drag on the engine. I'm not aware of any availability, but pulley changes to slow the water pump and alternator can help. Check to make sure your clutch fan works. Some people suggest using an electric fan in lieu of the engine driven fan; I have mixed emotions on their fuel efficiency gains and cooling effectiveness.

Guitarplayinman might also play with the aerodynamics of the truck. A chin spoiler might make some difference at highway speeds.

An old trick to improving economy is to put a vacuum guage on the dash. Drive by the vacuum guage to maximize manifold vacuum. Manifold vacuum is an indicator of engine load.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be ecstatic if I could get 17mpg. I got an 01 Frontier SC 4x4. I know that it is a pig but I get a whopping 200 miles to a 19.4 gallon tank. I don't turn more than 2500 rpms either. It has had a tuneup with good plugs and regular oil changes, runs great. I have no idea what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I tested my '05 extended cab after it was broken in (1500 miles) and was shocked to find it doing 17 on the highway.
First thing I did was chenge to full synthetic engine oil. After allowing it to run in I changed it again and went to Atlanta. Round trip mileage went to 19 and change. Maybe I'm on to something. So, synthetic rear end oil, B&M Trick Shift in the auto trans, a set of plugs recommended by the Nissan dealer and fat spark plug wires. I also inflated the tires to the maximum pressure cast into the side of the tires. Finally a four wheel alignment and another trip to Atlanta. Round trip mileage was 22.4. So, after all that work it seems like that's the best she'll do. Sure rides nice though.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used synthetic as well, ever since I bought it. I didnt buyt it new, but it onlt had 13,000 kms on it.

I as well make sure the tire pressure is pretty close to max cold. I usually kleep it a few lbs under for heat expansion when driving, etc.

Maybe with that and being a real tender foot when driving I am getting good milage. I drive alot of the same route daily, so I can work out red lights, etc so I can coast to alot without using the brakes, etc.

Was nice having a 4 x 4 today though. Had to take a new route becasuse of some street construction and went through the field path they made. But its thawed alot lately and it was complete mud. Was tons of fun though, mud flying everywhwre. Stuff like that is what i got my truck for.

On another note I drove about 2 hours yesterday in a Dodge 4 x 4 Hemi as a rental, and it cost $45 to fill back up. And that was only down 1/4 of a tank, now thats a pig on gas

·
Registered
10 Posts
You want to come to the UK and pay our prices for fuel.. we pay

£1.19 per litre for Unleaded (238USD or approx 242CAD)

£1.31 per litre for diesel (260USD or approx 264 CAD)

rip off Britain!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I tested my '05 extended cab after it was broken in (1500 miles) and was shocked to find it doing 17 on the highway.
First thing I did was chenge to full synthetic engine oil. After allowing it to run in I changed it again and went to Atlanta. Round trip mileage went to 19 and change. Maybe I'm on to something. So, synthetic rear end oil, B&M Trick Shift in the auto trans, a set of plugs recommended by the Nissan dealer and fat spark plug wires. I also inflated the tires to the maximum pressure cast into the side of the tires. Finally a four wheel alignment and another trip to Atlanta. Round trip mileage was 22.4. So, after all that work it seems like that's the best she'll do. Sure rides nice though.

Since when did Frontiers require 4 wheel alignments?
You sure you have a 05?
05 ,and up dont have plug wires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, since I'm a stickler on vehicle maintenance I always get a 4 wheel alignment. Only costs a bit more and helps keep everything square. Even if you order a 2 wheel alignment the new computerized alignment machines require a sensor be attached to all 4 wheels. At least at the Goodyear that does my tire and alignment work.
I failed to clarify "fat spark wires". Actually my '05 has modules but there are two spark plug type wires leading to the "distributor (I know it's not a distributor but that's all I know it as). Those are what we changed.
Since I posted the above I found a speed shop in Atlanta that was able to recalibrate the computer for less power and more economy. It lacks a little punch but I can live without it but my last round trip between Atlanta and Augusta at a cruise set 65mph yielded me a 24.1 average. That might be the best she can do. Btw most of the times we go to Atlanta loaded with supplies for our college son and come back empty. I fill up at the end of each trip before the city driving takes over.
Cheers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey guys me again, petrol is just gone past the £5.oo a gallon i dont know what that is in dollars but im sure its close to 8, were expecting it to go up to £5.50 in the next week and its still goin up, god its great living in england, any of you guys got a spare bed hehe, only joking

·
Registered
12 Posts
water power

I'm just wondering if anybody has tried the HHO water power kit that is for sale on various internet sites. I'm not mechanically minded enough to know if it is workable. It does claim much improved m.p.g. Look forward to any feedback, thanks guys.

·
Registered
515 Posts
HHO is the "brand" name (also known in some circles as Brown's gas) for the gas combination produced by the electrolysis of water. The electrolysis of water is energy intensive. For automotive applications HHO is a bunch of hype. Do not spend your money or time.

Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know you guys might not think hydroxy (hho) boosting is worth anything. There are a lot of scammers out there trying to sell you information that is available for free on the net.

I have a site up that is dedicated to supplying that info for free at Everyone Wants Better Gas Mileage | Aquauto (aqua auto... get it :p). It has a vehicle database where you can see what other people are getting for MPG gains if your interested.

Also, I just wrote an article on why skeptics don't think hydroxy boosting will work if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2007 Frontier, Crew cab SE, I am getting the same same as T-bol. But when she was new I was getting 350mils per tank and after about 7000miles i am only getting 210 per tank.
T-bol did you make any head way or get your mileage increased.
Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts