Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps......

Im currently working on a engine swap that consist of taking my very reliable 230,000 mile 1991 nissan sentra and swapping it with a 1995 sentra engine.

The only problem I have is trying to wire everything up. The '95 has a few more sensors like......there are 2 O2 sensors instead of one. there is an exttra sensor on the throttle body.......and on the Intake.

Once these problems have been cured I will be home free. Has anyone ever done a swaplike this and should I use the '95 ECU or my old one from the '91.

If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.....

"Q"
Flared SE with custom Black widow Kit
Los Angeles, CA

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
The '95 ECU is OBD II and your '91 is OBD I. Rather than go through the expense and hassle of swapping ECU's and engine harnesses, I'd swap your '91 intake, TB and exhaust manifold onto the '95 engine, that way you'll be getting rid of those extra sensors. This shouldn't be a problem, however I'm can't guarantee that the '95 head is the same the '91, so compare the TB and exhaust manifolds on both cars to make sure they're similar.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goood lookin out.....

Your correct on many things....... and yes the head is different as far as the exhaust ports.....SO what im going to do is bore out the the manifold from my '91. As for the intake....im using a CAi so that doesnt matter. But here is the hard part. with the '91 intake and manifold on the car.....what about the wiring to the ecu..?????

How would i go about splitting the signals....remeber both the exhaust and intake have 2 sensors.
And the exhaust has a oxy sensor before the cat and after.....so im thinking if i connect those two sensors...would it affect the reading to the ECU.????
hhmmmmm.....

$100 dollars to the answer to my problem:D

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
As for the intake....im using a CAi so that doesnt matter. But here is the hard part. with the '91 intake and manifold on the car.....what about the wiring to the ecu..?????
What? Intake doesn't matter you can use your '91 intake parts, the Throttle Body is what I was talking about. See if the throttle bodies are the same port size, so you can bolt the '91 TB up to the '95 head.

But here is the hard part. with the '91 intake and manifold on the car.....what about the wiring to the ecu..?????
Ok now I'm confused. You'll be using the '91 TB on the '95 engine in your '91 car with the '91 ECU. So what's the problem?

How would i go about splitting the signals....remeber both the exhaust and intake have 2 sensors.
And the exhaust has a oxy sensor before the cat and after.....so im thinking if i connect those two sensors...would it affect the reading to the ECU.????
hhmmmmm.....
WHAT?!?!?! Dude, you're putting a '95 engine in your '91 car, correct? You're going to swap your '91 TB and Exhaust manifolds onto the '95 engine. You're going to still be using your '91 ECU and engine harness, and you'll be using your '91 exhaust. So there will be no 2nd O2 sensor, there will be no intake temp sensor, there will be no problems with your TPS.

I think I'm seriously misunderstanding you. ;) Pardon my frustration. I don't see where the problems lie, other than getting the TB and exhaust manifold from your '91 to work on the new head, and as far as the exhaust manifold goes, I'd just use the one that's on the '95. Your '91 O2 should screw right into it, if they're different O2's. Chances are, even if the TB's are different, you can swap the TPS if they're even different to begin with, which I doubt. The only things your '95 engine might have are a second O2 and the air temp sensor, which you could care less about, because your '91 engine harness and ECU don't need them.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
hey Rob, I dont know exactly what hes asking, but I just posted a thread kinda like that- only im buying a 95 ga16de to replace my 91-94- Im buying the complete engine minus exhaust and intake, but it is coming with the plenum and everything is all together even has an alternator- it will work right? all the bolts for my header will work etc etc etc? I still cant find a damn tomahawk shirt man! I shoulda bought one at the concert!

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I don't know without serious doubts Todd. If you've got the Throttle Body that's the important part, you can always buy an aftermarket header to put on or modify your exhaust manifold. If the engine has extra sensors just abandone them, they're not going to change how the engine behaves. I'd make sure the TPS and other sensors that do hook up are similar to your old ones, as far as part numbers and what not. Use your existing engine harness, don't use the one that the engine comes with, if it comes with it at all. The alternator is probably the same, same goes for the water pump, which it probably also comes with? I'd replace the water pump while the engine is out, they're only like $35. Also replace the front and rear seals and put a clutch kit in. You'll be good to go for years. Good luck with it.

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
the exhaust ports and intake ports should be the same for all years....there is a real easy way to confirm. buy an intake manifold gasket and an exhaust manifold gasket and compare them to ur newer engine/older engine.

good luck

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...95 has no speed limiter?????

The purpose of me using the '95 ECU is to get rid of the pesky 110mph speed limiter. Not that I travel at theat speed on public roads, but Cali has alot of racing events that are legal and I always get stuck at the 110 limit. SOOOOOOooo thats why im focusing on the '95 ECU.

Also....I am putting a 1995 engine into my 1991 engine bay. It has the clomplete wiring....water pump.....alternator everything..manifold.

I dont mean to be confusing...im just trying to make sure all things are correct. I pretty much have everything under wraps. I think. The engine only has 38,000 miles on it....its still a baby.

So keep on pouring in the responses and inputs.

Thanks guys.......I have pics of my car on streetsourcemag.com....under Quindog......check me out.....they are old pics so ill go ahead and put some newer ones on this weekend.

Once again thanks guys and ladies...............

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
If you're going to switch ECU's then use an OBD I from an SR20DE. Youll be rid of the speed limiter, plenty of JWT programming options for it, and you won't have to worry about those extra sensors.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
............Nissans rule!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!!

I appreciate it all....

Ill submit pics of my ride on sunday after its done.......

I have current pics of my car now on streetsourcemagazine.com
my profile name is FLAREDSE...

CHECK ME OUT........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts