Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you change from 2 windshield wipers to one?? Does anybody know? I want the one's like on the Mercedes. I've seen it done on a civic, but there must be a universal way of doing it. Please help!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think you just get one long windshield wiper and install it in place of you stock size ones. Then you have to cap the part where the other wiper connected to the motor. It is kind of difficult to explain, but it is easier if you get up close and see it on a car that has it.

My brothers friend has it done on his neon. Then I think durning the winter or whenever he get tired of it he switches back to the two wipers.

Just to warn you; You may get some people voicing their opinions of what they think about this mod, and they may not be nice!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know about everyone callin it a "ricer" idea and how I should go buy a mercedes and sh*t like that. Thanx. That's what I was thinkin of doin, but won't I need a shorter arm for the wiper? I would need to replace the passenger wiper and cap the driver's wiper, right? We got like the same cars, let me know if you get a chance to check out urs and see how you think it could be done. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have never done this but here is my theory:

Looking at my car it looks like the motor for the drivers side wiper is in the best place. What I would do is just get a longer wiper for the drivers side, and then cap the passengers side motor.

As for the lengh of the wiper I am not to sure. You want something that will reach the as far as possible to the passengers side of the windshield, but you also don't want it to long so that it goes off the windshield, or doesn't adiquately clear the drivers side of the windshield.

What I would do is get a long piece of cardboard, or a long stick. Mach it up so that it sits in the same position that the drivers side wiper does. Then keep trimming it down until you get to a length to where it looks like it will perform the best.

Even better would be to see if one of your buddies has the same setup, and borrow their wiper and put it on your car for a minute. See how it works.

Throughout this keep note of where the rubber wiper sweeps across the windshield. As I said you don't want it to get the whole passengers side, and noe of the drivers side. Moderation is the key here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I see what you sayin, I think I might just try it. A blade only costs like $15-20 anyways. I can get one from wal-mart to test, then if it does work, then buy a quality one, if not, scrap that idea and stick with 2.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, btw, how in the hell do you cap off the wiper motor??? I would have to take off the whole arm, right? Then what?

·
Registered
106 Posts
mirrortints said:
Oh, btw, how in the hell do you cap off the wiper motor??? I would have to take off the whole arm, right? Then what?
Hmm...If you look there are probably caps you can by somewhere (EBay?). If not you could probably nig rig some sort of cap.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Some guys over on the Ford Ranger board remove both wipers (fools) and they just use Rain-X and they swear it works. They do this so they can remove the wiper assembly and fill it for a "smooth" look.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Centurion said:
Some guys over on the Ford Ranger board remove both wipers (fools) and they just use Rain-X and they swear it works. They do this so they can remove the wiper assembly and fill it for a "smooth" look.
I used Rain X on both of my windshields, and it is in no way a replacement for the wipers. Most of the water flows off, but you still need the wipers to maintain a safe view through the windshield.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
I know but some of those idiots (on that Ranger board) think it's "cool" to have no wipers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Centurion said:
I know but some of those idiots (on that Ranger board) think it's "cool" to have no wipers.
They'll learn when they get in an accient when it's raining, and the first thing the cops ask them is "Where are you windshield wipers?". "Well officer I don't need them anymore, I use RainX, plus my car looks cooler without them". LOL

You know, I have always though brakes were ugly. I think I'm going to take mine off, and just use my engine, and my e-brake to slow my car down!!

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
haha. You should check over at a honda forum if you really need to do this I'm sure they do it more often than nissans do. And its gotta be the same idea for each car. But it doesnt accomplish anything having one wiper. I would keep the two.

·