Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "project" 97 GXE is almost together . I painted the underside of the hood and the fender jambs to match . Anyway , I put the battery charger on it to fire it up . The battery got damaged during the wreck the car suffered and it will go dead after sitting for a week .
Im not sure if the battery is truly wacked or something else but I have a small ding in the battery case .
Away from the battery , since I know it's issues , I have a CEL light on and I assumed it was a problem with the 02 sensor since the radiator fans got pushed into it during the crash . I was going to have it scanned but found once I removed the battery charger that the engine ran for a minute or two and stalled . Im pretty sure the alternator is bad though I have not checked it yet , or a fuse somewhere inbetween popped during the crash .

Do you guys know if the CEL will light if the Alternator does not produce voltage ? Im thinking the older B-13's would do this and figure the B14's would too but looking for a confirm .
Thanks .

·
Tune it
504 Posts
I would think your battery guage or light would come on or change. CEL dosn't sound to likely to me. also you could check you batter with a volt meter and see how bad it is. You should'nt be lower then 12.4 with no load to have a good battery. Also to see if you battery is leaking you can you the volt meter on its lowest setting and ground one lead on the car and touch the positive one all around the battery. You should get 0.00 all around the battery if it's good. Anything else I would definatly replace it. Also if it is leaking, smoking or any sort of flame will make it explode. (VERY BAD)

I'll tell you how to check your alternator if you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ittamaticstatic said:
I would think your battery guage or light would come on or change. CEL dosn't sound to likely to me. also you could check you batter with a volt meter and see how bad it is. You should'nt be lower then 12.4 with no load to have a good battery. Also to see if you battery is leaking you can you the volt meter on its lowest setting and ground one lead on the car and touch the positive one all around the battery. You should get 0.00 all around the battery if it's good. Anything else I would definatly replace it. Also if it is leaking, smoking or any sort of flame will make it explode. (VERY BAD)

I'll tell you how to check your alternator if you want.

I know the battery has issues , it has a nice dent in it where the headlight adjuster smashed into it :)

Im pretty sure the cell where the dent is has a internal short and is slowly draining the battery . Normally the drain for a short would be fast , not take a few days . There is no leak .

I got my fluke meter out (volt-ohm) and the battery terminals have 11.27 when the engine is running and when you rev it the volts fall off fast so Im about 10000% sure the alternator is toast . I checked the fuse for it and it's good (beside battery in the underhood fues panel) . The previous owner was fighting battery/starting problems before the crash .
They replaced the battery and the starter so Im assuming they were replaced because he did not know how to test a alternator :)
That or the battery killed the alternator , who knows .
Ive got to pick up a new battery and alternator and I'll be ready to drive . Got it all together today . Needs a A/C charge , which I'll do when I find the damn can tap I have .

Oops , edited to add :

The "battery" or "alt" or whatever light nissan uses for charging indication is not on .... so Im not trusting the Sentra's self diagnostics :thumbdwn:

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Yeah your batterys bad for sure. 12.6 is with the car off and 14volts is what you should be getting with it running. Good luck getting it all in good condition again!

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
get a new battery, my alternator died just few days ago and in order to get my car back to the shop I had to go and get another battery. I got one from Sears for like $39 and it works great. I got the cheap one cause i just needed to get my car running.
If the alternator is bad or damaged..then if you check the charge with the car on the battery should be like around 14v. With the car off the battery should be little over 12v lik 12.5 or so.
Check the alternator directly, hook up a voltometer to it and see if its charging at 14. If its less than 14 or about (13.5v) than its going or is shot :(

BTW my Battery light didn't go on either when both, my alternator was charging at 10v and the battery was going (was at 9v)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alternator was junk , it was discharging the battery when the engone was running . So far the battery is OK but Im going to replace it once I get the title and tag transfer done . I bought the car for $300 and the state of FLorida wants to wack me blue book value for the car which is around $3500 for taxes .
It is a difference of $18 in taxes compared to $288 in tax .

She took pics of the car down with the title and the woman told her "You could go to a junk yard and take pictures of a car to try and get out of the taxes " .

LMAO , people have to be such idiot aholes .

Got to get the girl who sold it to us to sign a paper stating she sold it for $300 , plus show up with the car so they can look at it to see what was "repaired" so we don't shaft em on taxes .

Stupid Florida .

Oh , forgot to add the CEL is still on , might go play with it this afternoon to figure out why .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts