Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am buying a 2014 frontier from a relative. Truck has been sitting for almost 2 years. About a year ago I started the truck with no problem. 6 months later the battery was dead. Put in a new battery truck will not start. All accessories turn on and work but truck will not start. Could the what might be causing the problem?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Am buying a 2014 frontier from a relative. Truck has been sitting for almost 2 years. About a year ago I started the truck with no problem. 6 months later the battery was dead. Put in a new battery truck will not start. All accessories turn on and work but truck will not start. Could the what might be causing the problem?
PDW,

Sitting so long,, it may have water in the Tank from condensation in the tank over time.

When you cranked it the 1st time, it may have been from gas in the line. After that 1st crank,, it may have pulled water into the fuel line. This is just a guess on my part though.

Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BRubble: Thanks for the info. Will be mindful of that issue when I attack the issue. This is not a gas issue. There is no click from the starter nor the solenoid. There is an electrical issue that is not allowing the starter to crank. Nissan denies any security features. There may be an issue between the coded key and the truck. I will keep looking. Thanks.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
An immobilizer issue wouldn't keep it from cranking. Rather, it would let it crank but would cut the fuel pump off. Battery cable connection issues are real common on these trucks. I've heard of a few PNP issues, but that is part of the valve body inside the transmission. Check for power to the starter solenoid when turning the key (you may need to remove the right-front wheel and inner fenderwell liner to access it); it's possible that the starter motor is bad from sitting. As always, start with the basics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smj: Did not realize an immobilized worked on the fuel pump not the starter. Not thrilled to attack the wheel and fender well liner. I was hoping we did something when we changed the battery, or a Nissan secret. This is beginning to sound like a job for my super fixer. Thanks for the time reviewing my problem. WJW7

·
Registered
344 Posts
BRubble: Thanks for the info. Will be mindful of that issue when I attack the issue. This is not a gas issue. There is no click from the starter nor the solenoid. There is an electrical issue that is not allowing the starter to crank. Nissan denies any security features. There may be an issue between the coded key and the truck. I will keep looking. Thanks.
PDW,

My Bad,, I didn't realize that the Starter wouldn't engage.

Since a New Battery was installed,, I guess I would start checking all the fuse's in the Cabin as well as under the hood. I sure hope that one of the Control Module's didn't get Spiked.

Let us know how it goe's & Good Luck.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,341 Posts
Before you get too far into it, I would check the fuses, especially the one for the start signal, which is usually a 10A. The fender well liner isn't too bad. It's all Phillips head screws and 10MM plastic push clips, some of which will probably break trying to remove them. You can get new ones from Ebay cheap.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is this an automatic? Try cycling the gearshift. Might be a Neutral Safety Switch issue. Shift to Neutral and see if she'll crank over.

If a manual trans, check the Neutral Safety Switch at the clutch pedal for issues.

If you energize the starter solenoid with +12V from the battery (via jumper wire, remote starter switch, etc), it should crank over. With the ign key in the "ON" position, the engine should start and you can at least move the rig.

HTH & let us know what you find...........ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts