Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will I be dissapointed with a B13 UPDATE: LOOKED AT THE CAR!!!

I am 16, and looking to get a new car. I have been driving a 1993 dodge caravan LE v6 that my parents gave to me. And while it gave me ample ability to do all the car audio stuff I am into, it wasnt at all sporty, and I like driving manual.

I am looking at 1993 or 1994 sentra SEs or XEa because I like nissans, they are very cheap compared to hondas and toyotas, but I can't find a manual maxima or 1991+ 240sx in my price range(about $3000).

I have been reading some articles, such as the one about suspension modding that was in nissan performance mag, and it seems like the sentra is a real pain in the ass to mod. I went to motivational engineering, and they want like $1400 for the koni shocks.

Most of you guys have been there done that with modding these cars...what can you tell me about it?

I want a car that I can get into the low 8's for 0-60, and I want a car that handles well.

ALSO! can I drop in a SR20DE into a 4 door sentra? do any sites sell JDM sr20s liek they do for 240sx's

Please guys, give me any comments you can, I am looking at a 94 sentra xe tonight...

UPDATE!!!!

Well, just got back from looking and driving the car. The car is burgundy, XE trim package. The AC works perfectly, and power streering and brakes are fine. The exterior of the car is beautiful, with only a few minor dings by the door handles.

The interior is immaculate, non-smoked in, and no scent thing hanging from mirror to cover up anything. There are barely any scratches, and the seats are perfect. The gears were fine, and I got no "5th gear popping out" like i read about on this forum. The clutch was a little weak, but I would change it out myself to a better one down the road anyways. The milage is 104,000 and the engine is very very clean, it purs, but has a ticking, which is normal i guess for the g16. The CV boots looked good, no cracks. And the rotors and brakes looked like they were done recently. It needs a new muffler, but I would be getting an aftermarket one regardless.

I was looking at the car in the dark, so I will have to get under it and check for underbody rust when I get back there on saturday(there is NO exterior rust, in the doors...nothing).

The car was very solid, and I was pleasently surprised by the peppyness of the 1.6l 4 banger.

The used car lot wants $2790, but I should be able to negotiate it down a few hundred, then introduce my 1993 caravan as a trade in.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
You can buy a B13 SE-R for that money. Better base upon which to build.

SR20DEForums

SE-R.NET

What ever you do, avoid the automatic. There should be laws against placing an automatic behind a four-cylinder engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bahearn said:
You can buy a B13 SE-R for that money. Better base upon which to build.

SR20DEForums

SE-R.NET

What ever you do, avoid the automatic. There should be laws against placing an automatic behind a four-cylinder engine.
Agreed. I will NOT be buying an auto. Never.

I dont know if any of it carries over, but the gearbox in my friends N/A 1991 300zx is very refined..

Q

·
0 Posts
B13 purchase.......

I don't know where you live, SE-R's are becoming more and more hard to find. So if you find one that is in your price range GET IT!!!! You can do a lot more with SE-R. Yes, some of the mods are expensive, but worth it.

Q in Sac.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in cleveland ohio.

Look on auto trader yourself(44139 zip code) there is fucking nothing out there, not even an early altima 5speed

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Certainly Cleveland has more than one zip code! Search all of those near you. Search Cincy and Louisville and Dayton and the other larger cities within a hundred-or-so miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bahearn said:
Certainly Cleveland has more than one zip code! Search all of those near you. Search Cincy and Louisville and Dayton and the other larger cities within a hundred-or-so miles.
heh, I am searching all cars within 100 miles....I am not going 200 miles to test drive a car, and find that it sucks :)

heh, thanks for the tip tho.

Q

·
0 Posts
B13 lookup.....

bahearn said:
Go to these links, I looked the prices for some 200SX SE-R they are high for east coast cars.

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?&model=NIS200SX&certified=n&start_year=1995&end_year=1998&min_price=&max_price=&distance=100&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=NISSAN&address=44139&search_type=used&x=55&y=13&first_record=26&ac_afflt=none

http://www.autotrader.com/findacar/results.jtmpl?model=&certified=n&start_year=1991&end_year=1997&min_price=&max_price=&distance=100&advanced=y&advcd_on=n&make=NISSAN&address=44139&search_type=used&x=39&y=11

Q in Sac

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE!!!!

Well, just got back from looking and driving the car. The car is burgundy, XE trim package. The AC works perfectly, and power streering and brakes are fine. The exterior of the car is beautiful, with only a few minor dings by the door handles.

The interior is immaculate, non-smoked in, and no scent thing hanging from mirror to cover up anything. There are barely any scratches, and the seats are perfect. The gears were fine, and I got no "5th gear popping out" like i read about on this forum. The clutch was a little weak, but I would change it out myself to a better one down the road anyways. The milage is 104,000 and the engine is very very clean, it purs, but has a ticking, which is normal i guess for the g16. The CV boots looked good, no cracks. And the rotors and brakes looked like they were done recently. It needs a new muffler, but I would be getting an aftermarket one regardless.

I was looking at the car in the dark, so I will have to get under it and check for underbody rust when I get back there on saturday(there is NO exterior rust, in the doors...nothing).

The car was very solid, and I was pleasently surprised by the peppyness of the 1.6l 4 banger.

The used car lot wants $2790, but I should be able to negotiate it down a few hundred, then introduce my 1993 caravan as a trade in.

Q

·
0 Posts
B13.....

Adam said:
The Ga16 never had a 5th gear pop out problem, so don't take that as a bonus. See if you can talk them down to $2000 if you really want the car, I'm sure you can get it for at least that cheap.
Word:)

Q in Sac

Z

·
0 Posts
Only get a regular Sentra if you absolutely can't find an SE-R anywhere. They're not similar at all, in fact almost everything is different between them. Engine, tranny, entire drivetrain, gauges, seats, suspension, brakes... etc. etc. the SE-R is a far better platform to mod as well, there's a much bigger aftermarket and the SR20DE takes to mods better.

And you wanted sub-8s, well a stock SE-R is well below 8 seconds 0-60. You thought the Sentra XE was peppy, you'll think the SE-R is a Ferrari. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been looking for SE-Rs and the like since ~june....nothing...

It will be hard to haggle the price down, cars with good bodies are like gold in cleveland. because of our crappy weather, most cars really get messed up and rusty.

ANOTHER THING

what RPM will the GA16 be at, at 75MPH

I didn't take the car on the freeway, and it has no tach.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
You won't be disappointed in the reliability. Sounds like you found a good one. But the power is....well LACKING! :mad: do yourself and get an SE-R--there's not a huge price diff between the 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I seriously wish I could, but there arent any on the market, and like no cars are for sale now that it is about to be winter...

I will probably get a JDM SR20 down the road and drop it in.

·
Nissan Wizard
193 Posts
Adam said:
The Ga16 never had a 5th gear pop out problem, so don't take that as a bonus. See if you can talk them down to $2000 if you really want the car, I'm sure you can get it for at least that cheap.
There are some 1.6 b13s that had the 5th gear poput including myself, but not as much as the se-r.

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
i just had to add my $2.00 dollars in here.....

i OWN a 93 XE 4dr auto as stated in my bio to the left. basically i love this car to death! i won't ever sell this thing. as soon as i get some good income i'm garaging this car and doing a full flegded restore/fix up on it. but for now it has 144 k on it and still runs great. only problem i notice now is the 3rd or 4th fuel injector seems to be clicking louder and louder, there for i need to replace them sometime. which is usual for the amout of mileage. i'm hoping this is why i'm getting my dissapointing 27-32 (32 being my record as of yet) mpg. generally the 1.6 should be mid 30's.

the only upgrade i've done is some AR Estrella 14" rims wich made for a much better highway ride. i wish this car would be as fast as my dad's 01 Maxima, but i don't have a job and all my money is going to college. i honestly don't have any time for a job anyway.

i guess my point is that the 1.6 is a great car. you do loose hp through the auto tranny, so a 5sp would be better. i will admit that i favor 4drs over a 2dr, i don't think there are any 4dr sticks out there.

you CAN mod a 1.6 to reach a stock SE-R's power ratings, so beinge the SE-R movement seems to be re-ermerging, don't get so dissapointed if you don't find one.

and before you ask, you CAN put an SR20 into a 1.6 chassis. bottom line is it costs a great deal. Most people don't view it as logical. Personally i love this car so much, i'm willing to make that sacrifice at one point and have a car that is the ultimate sleeper, to even those who may be Nissan "gurus"; a Sentra XE-R. those honda guys might not be so suprised when an SE-R beats them at the drags, but they would be when a stock looking 4dr does!

so get rid of that smoking dodge and get the 1.6 (4 out of 5 dodge vans 10yrs old and up have a serious oil burning problem around here) you could always upgrade to an SE-R when you see one, but don't try to hunt one down as you have already seen a great deal of trouble.

·
B13 Owner since 90
134 Posts
gogeeta13,

Have you tried looking in the Classifieds at www.SE-R.net or www.Sr20deforum.com?

also check out www.autotrader.com and do a search for SENTRA (1991-1994 from the price range of $0 to $5000) instead of SE-R, you will find more SE-R's in the SENTRA Search results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ScarCrow28 said:
i just had to add my $2.00 dollars in here.....

i OWN a 93 XE 4dr auto as stated in my bio to the left. basically i love this car to death! i won't ever sell this thing. as soon as i get some good income i'm garaging this car and doing a full flegded restore/fix up on it. but for now it has 144 k on it and still runs great. only problem i notice now is the 3rd or 4th fuel injector seems to be clicking louder and louder, there for i need to replace them sometime. which is usual for the amout of mileage. i'm hoping this is why i'm getting my dissapointing 27-32 (32 being my record as of yet) mpg. generally the 1.6 should be mid 30's.

the only upgrade i've done is some AR Estrella 14" rims wich made for a much better highway ride. i wish this car would be as fast as my dad's 01 Maxima, but i don't have a job and all my money is going to college. i honestly don't have any time for a job anyway.

i guess my point is that the 1.6 is a great car. you do loose hp through the auto tranny, so a 5sp would be better. i will admit that i favor 4drs over a 2dr, i don't think there are any 4dr sticks out there.

you CAN mod a 1.6 to reach a stock SE-R's power ratings, so beinge the SE-R movement seems to be re-ermerging, don't get so dissapointed if you don't find one.

and before you ask, you CAN put an SR20 into a 1.6 chassis. bottom line is it costs a great deal. Most people don't view it as logical. Personally i love this car so much, i'm willing to make that sacrifice at one point and have a car that is the ultimate sleeper, to even those who may be Nissan "gurus"; a Sentra XE-R. those honda guys might not be so suprised when an SE-R beats them at the drags, but they would be when a stock looking 4dr does!

so get rid of that smoking dodge and get the 1.6 (4 out of 5 dodge vans 10yrs old and up have a serious oil burning problem around here) you could always upgrade to an SE-R when you see one, but don't try to hunt one down as you have already seen a great deal of trouble.

Thanks for a personal expirience story!

Actually, like there are 4 4door sentra XEs with 5speed in my area...

Sunny, have tried that already....

I looked at an 1993 accord 4door 5speed today. it was really nice, 130k miles for ~$2900. It wasnt as peppy as the XE because it weighed more, tho

1 - 20 of 47 Posts