Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No, but you can use the RWD SR20det from the silvia from japan. the 240's are RWD so you can't use a FWD motor in it.

·
Search Whore
209 Posts
RWD SR20DE do exist they come in the non-turbo Silvia's

·
Registered
205 Posts
Actually it will fit but would take motor mount work (read as some welding) and remounting other externally attached hardware like the alternator and generator and such....basically it will work just not worth the trouble unless you like get the engine for free or something and know some really good mechanics, heh.

That's what I've been told anyhow from someone that did a sentra to 240 swap in my area, I've not tried it personally.

Almost forgot the most important part...you'd need to aquire a tranny for it, the fwd versions that typically come with the sentra/200sx editions obviously won't work in a 240.

·
Registered
354 Posts
i have been told by my local nissan mechanic that the RWD sr20 has the starter on the tranny and the FWD has it on the engine. i have not verifide that info though.

and as far as the generator thing:
i have a friend that is a ford tech and he says that in the ford books they refer to the "alternator" as a "generator" because evedently in the '40's or 50's GM trademarked the term "alternator" as it refered to a charging system on a vehicle.
so even though the gerneral name is "alternator" what everyone has in there non-GM vehicle is a gererator that produces an "alternating" current to charge.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
If you're worried about the SR20DE, I would recommend keeping what you got! The KA is up to the task and can be boosted (on a stock platform) with excellent results. The torque is plentiful and I have a friend that's putting out over 450hp at the wheels with his KA (Stock internals).

·
Registered
233 Posts
boost_boy said:
If you're worried about the SR20DE, I would recommend keeping what you got! The KA is up to the task and can be boosted (on a stock platform) with excellent results. The torque is plentiful and I have a friend that's putting out over 450hp at the wheels with his KA (Stock internals).
There you go....

I´d replace it with the DET RWD.

·
Registered
548 Posts
boost_boy said:
450+hp on a KA with stock internals? why do i have a hard time believing that?

well, for one, recommended hp to rebuild the engine is ~250hp to the crank/fly. and that's recommended. highly recommended, may i add.

300hp at the crank/fly is very risky. and i would not suggest doing that at all.

·
Registered
70 Posts
boost_boy said:
Again with the Sentra owners preaching about the KA-T. I have already covered this topic once, here you go:
http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=87723#post87723

get some info from someone who ACTUALLY has a 240SX, and maybe you'll be steered in the right direction.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
450+hp on a KA with stock internals? why do i have a hard time believing that?
It's not something you see everyday! And actually he put out 471whp @24psi to be the exact on stock internals. There will be some reliability issues in this range as it has been proven, but the idea is to completely exploit the KA for what it's worth.
Again with the Sentra owners preaching about the KA-T.
I don't know what's your angle here "playboy", but just because I don't own a 240 doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to share my knowledge or advice to other board members who ask for opinions. As a matter of fact, I'm building one right now for a friend using the SR20DET, but it won't be the first and won't be the last. It doesn't matter what you own "BuudWeizErr", but the knowledge, skills and ability that counts.

·
Registered
548 Posts
strange. you'd imagine that the Nissan world (the 240SX enthusiasts especially) would be raving on and on about a 240SX with a KA24DE-T that is putting down 471RWHP @ 24psi, all on stock internals, might i add.

you know. how strange it is that 471RWHP @ 24psi sounds A LOT like Chris May's KA24DE-T? now, i'm not 100% exact on that. but damn, it sure does sound familiar.

EDIT: oh, and to add, practically everyone on 240SX.org that has studied up on and is doing the KA24DE-T setup all highly recommend a complete rebuild of the engine at 250hp at the crank/fly. basically that's after you've put the turbo kit on, FMIC, bigger injectors, fuel pump, and bolt ons. if it comes to dire situations, 300hp at the crank/fly is possible but risky. damn, why am i repeating myself again? :?

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
you know. how strange it is that 471RWHP @ 24psi sounds A LOT like Chris May's KA24DE-T?
I do know! Strange, maybe to you! Coincidental? Possibly. But this was the final #'s after his run which caused some engine damage. I've heard of Chris May and what he's doing for his vehicle and kudos to him for his hardwork, but I live in Miami, Fla. and only know what I see. I can't and don't expect anyone to believe anything that's said on this forum, but I only tell it as I know and if I don't know it then you guys won't see it. My friend also posts on 240sx.org and maybe he's trying to accomplish what the other guy did, that's personal and I'm not at liberty to say.
300hp at the crank/fly is possible but risky.
If this is true, then this guy is way over the limit because these engines are stock internally. Now fuel management is another issue and I'm not at liberty to put this portion of his business out there as he can do that himself. I'll say this and I'm done with it, this type of power output is not really practical on a stock motor as reliability issues have come up. But hey, I have a CA18DET in my car so I really don't have the daily hustle that you guys with KA powered 240's have. My hats off to all of you...........

·
Registered
548 Posts
how long has this guy had this 471RWHP KA24DE-T on stock internals for? i haven't been to 240sx.org for a good minute, but the only other person that was putting out numbers like that was Chris May.

obviously, you haven't heard much about Chris May. because he sold his 240SX quite a while ago. he went through, i think, three KA's in his process of building that KA24DE-T. and that was on BUILT internals.

you've obviously been misinformed. because such a car doesn't exist. sorry to say.

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
you've obviously been misinformed. because such a car doesn't exist.
No my friend, you're under the interpretation that you've been misinformed and assuming that this is the case "Shame on you". First off, you obviously haven't been around here long enough to know that I don't jock anyone's ride especially when we're talking about power unless they've put up the #s or I actually eye witnessed it. Well, this I eyewitnissed. And who told you that only one person can perform such a feat? I don't know Chris May nor did I know anything about his car before this happened and hell, I still don't go around bragging on what type of power my friend was able to extract from his engine on the dyno. I'm not a big KA24 fan, but I do enjoy watching these guys here in miami with their 240s ripping up wicked Hp/TQ figures on the dyno.
sorry to say
And I'm sorry to say that you're stuck on the belief that only one person with a KA powered 240 can put up such #s and yes it was done on stock internals. And to add, $hit do break as something did give-way while obtaining these #s. If you're curious about this car and it's power go to the source for I'm just a witness: www.back-yard-productions.com and inquire there, if you may.

·
Registered
548 Posts
boost_boy said:
First off, you obviously haven't been around here long enough to know that I don't jock anyone's ride especially when we're talking about power unless they've put up the #s or I actually eye witnessed it.

let me say this here and now. i don't care how long i've been here or how long you've been here. i could care less. that is absolutely of NO importance to me.

having said that. i checked out that site. and to my surprise, look what i found.

and laid down 365HP @ 14 lbs on the Dyno...
hmm. for some reason, that is NOT anywhere near what you're claiming. funny.

regardless, those guys have no idea what they're talking about on that site. they keep on going on and on about how they know everything compared to other shops and all that. but look at what they say here.

having a 400+HP on an INTEGRA TYPE R
right, how easy is it to make an ITR with 400+hp?

but nothing is more safe than pistons and rods that were designed for that abuse
well, tey kind of forgot that the KA has paper-thin ringlands. which = kaboom. but you know what, i'll stop this debate here. if he has stock internals (which i still don't believe he does) he has stock internals. your word against mine. his word against mine, whatever. for all you, he, or i knows, the KA was possibly already built up prior to him coming into possession of it. but like i said, i'll leave it at that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts