Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 200SX has this wierd creaking noise coming from the front driver side area. its been happening before i lowered it too. i assum the bushings are bad. it comes up when i go over bumps and go really slow while turning the wheel.

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
weird creaking noise

hey, i've noticed the same thing with my 99 sentra gxe...it seems to happen more often when i get into my car the first thing in the morning.

anyone have any ideas?

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
weird creaking noise

i had the same thing happen too the first time i lowered my 200, then upon further investigation, found that my jounce bumpers were hardened and creak against the strut and strut rod, and after some time, it went away after it cut itself in half, due to hard cornering and road bumps, this just showed me that this is "normal" wear after some time, hope this proves helpful to anyone.....

·
0 Posts
Creaking Noises

This happened before I lowered my SE-R. Since my boys and I did the lowering job the RIGHT way (i.e. all new rubber components from Momma Nissan), the creaking noise has gone away. For the first time since I have owned it (almost a year) the suspension is perfectly quiet and the car is truly a joy to drive.

So, if I had to place a bet, either the top strut isolator is wearing out, the bound rubber has hardened (as aforementioned), or the little plastic/metal thrust bearing has deteriorated (as with mine - it fell apart in my hand afterward).

Good luck with it...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same squeak as well but on my passenger side. But it was only around for a month and now it is completely gone. Everytime I rolled over a bump it squeaked with it. I thoroughly enjoy my ride now and don't seem to have any suspension problems. Haven't gotten around to getting to gettting my strut and tower bars, hopefully really soon though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you guys sure your springs are seated correctly.. Even if you look at them and they look ok you have to see where the end of the spring is to the notch on the strut plate. also sometime people forget to put that rubber linning back on the strut perch.

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont have the bottom rubber supports on the strut assembly, but i know thats not my problem since i had the same noise when my car wasnt lowered and my stock springs had heater hose as a support (dont ask, it was my brothers car before).

·
0 Posts
Heater Hose

Actually, that's not all that jacked up of a fix. The rear springs on my car only have a thin piece of factory rubber around the last coil, and they were untouched from the factory. That's about the only rubber piece that I didn't replace when I changed my struts/shocks.

So, heater hose should do just fine to keep the struts/shocks from ratting in their seats - that's all the stock rubber does anyway.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
watch ouy guys i had the same problem for 4 mounths, turns out it was my ball joints!! i never thought that ball joints made creeking noises untill one decided to break in the busiest intersection in town! after i got my car towed (because there is no pushing it) and replaced them, which is easy but no fun at all, the creeking noise was gone!!

·
0 Posts
Ball Joints

Yeah, could well be the ball joints. I avoided the whole ball joint problem by replacing the entire front control arm assemblies. I had to do this because my power steering return line decided to leak all over the rear bushing on the passenger side control arm. :mad: Needless to say, power steering fluid & rubber bushings do not mix well.

I was completely amazed at how loose the ball joints were in comparison to the ones on the new units. I'm glad I deceided to replace the control arms, since the ball joints are integral to them.
Guess I killed 2 birds with 1 stone, for once in my life:D

·
Registered
153 Posts
so yeah my car is making that creaking noise. should i get it checked out? anyone in sac willing to check my car for me? :) come on you guys are nice like that right??? :)

·
0 Posts
Sure, if I were in SAC I would be glad to give you the hook-up.

However, I'm almost as far from SAC as I possibly can be & still be in the USA.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if it creaks when you turn the wheel, it could just be that you are running low on power steering fluid. It was doing that to me, particularly when in the morning, and i thought it was just because it was cold, but then i started losing power steering and eventually lost it altogether, so i refilled it and it still creeks when its cold, but once it warms up it goes away

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Smahatma said:
if it creaks when you turn the wheel, it could just be that you are running low on power steering fluid.
I have a creak coming from my front passenger side wheel (I think) when I turn it...I never thought about checking the PS fluid, but would that only affect one wheel?

·
Registered
325 Posts
ball joints?? where are the ball joings on a 1991 se-r, i thought it was my axels and replaced both of them, where is the ball join? anyone have a diagram?

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
SangerSE-R said:
ball joints?? where are the ball joings on a 1991 se-r, i thought it was my axels and replaced both of them, where is the ball join? anyone have a diagram?
there on the bottom of the wheel- hub or watever its called. the srut connects to the top, the ball joint is on the bottom. if you take out your axel right under it is a castle nut and coter key that bolt is your ball-joint.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sorry to sound stupid but here goes. Can you replace only the ball joints? I read how the ball joints are integral to the control arms, but then they connect via a castle nut, so shouldn't they come apart?Also by control arm do you mean tie rod? Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts