Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
it runs rich for safety. Personally, I wouldn't try to lean it out any, especially if you're on a stock 9.5:1 DE

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr20racer said:
This is what I am wanting to know also. Since JWT ECU's are known to run rich could you just put a correction factor of -5% without having your car run like ass?
Its a misconseption that they run rich, they run less rich than stock. People who have that opinion don't have a wideband O2 meter.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
webninja said:
I was running the SAFC and JWT ECU for about 6 months on my turbo'd 200. I even had it tuned on a dyno, but the car never ran right. I corrected lots of little problems and adjusted everything from timing, tps, spark plug gap to see if that was the issue. It finnaly came down to removing the SAFC. Once I did that the car ran 100% better, the idle was steady, the part throttle acceleration had no hesitation or hick ups, no backfiring and much better gas millage.
Now maybe I never had my SAFC tuned properly, and that may have been the issue, but I read all the posts and did lots of research, and it never worked for me. I wish it did, because the SAFC is one cool piece of hardware
Thankyou!!! This is the response I was hoping to see. I have been experiencing pretty much the same symptoms and experience as you ever since I got the JWT ecu. I've checked everything else, looks like it's time to remove the SAFC and see what happens.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr20racer said:
This is true, but if you have seen a A/F ratio on a JWT equipped car you will know that there is power that is being subdued.
I have seen it and its not subdued for 95% of customers, in fact the margin is more narrow than stock.

For instance mid 11's for a turbo a/f ratio and mid 12's for NA, some engines even leaner.

Its the exact same I would recomend for anyone other than someone like Andreas Miko who dosent need my advice anyway.

Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr20racer said:
This is true, but if you have seen a A/F ratio on a JWT equipped car you will know that there is power that is being subdued.
I have seen it and its not subdued for 95% of customers, in fact the margin is more narrow than stock.

For instance mid 11's for a turbo a/f ratio and mid 12's for NA, some engines even leaner. I mean really, what would you recomend for pump gas? Certanly not leaner than that for 92 or less octane.

Its the exact same I would recomend for anyone other than someone like Andreas Miko who dosent need my advice anyway.

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well I guess when most people have JWT tune their ECU's for 53mm and they really run a 54mm that would take up some of the rich A/F correct?

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr20racer said:
Well I guess when most people have JWT tune their ECU's for 53mm and they really run a 54mm that would take up some of the rich A/F correct?
you mean MAF diameter? Andreas Miko's bored MAF program compensates for the bigger diameter.

I don't see how you think those A/F ratios are too rich. When you come down to it, how many people out there even have a clue about rich or lean and whats appropriate. To be honest most too rich SR's I have seen are from ignition problems, not ECU tuning. Its ironic that the high port motors are not compatable with MSD's and an MSD equpped one acts like its too rich when its really misfiring.

I mean whats your target A/F ratio for what application? How do you measure it, whats your tuning experiance and background, not being a smart ass, I just want your opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
389 Posts
morepower2 said:
you mean MAF diameter? Andreas Miko's bored MAF program compensates for the bigger diameter.

Mike
FRom what I know the JWT bored MAF program is for a 53MM MAF anf Andread bores his out to 54MM. So wouldn't that lean out the A/F?

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
sr20racer said:
FRom what I know the JWT bored MAF program is for a 53MM MAF anf Andread bores his out to 54MM. So wouldn't that lean out the A/F?
its to get a little more flow before it hits 5.1 volts and stops reading. His maps are corrected for the bigger bore.

Mike

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
Mike has really good points about A/F ratios on the JWT maps. I chose to add the AFC here in CO on the Altima to make minor corrections in the map calibrated for low altitude. I tuned with the Lambda Wide Band O2 for the Fuel and a little tweaking with the EGT for the timing. Ideally you should data log your pulls and then send the data to Jim Wolf, they tweak the program per your info, and send you the moded-map back for the ECU reflash, but that is the ideal. However, on the 300 I felt it was totally fine the way JWT reflash came from them because here it will tend to run a little fatter but not to the extent that power is suffering just safer.
Jim Wolf does discourage the use of piggy-backs for a reason and that is 90+% of the people who purchase their products don't need or have the technical resources to tune an engine for correct A/F ratios for optimum power per the usage. I have setup several AFC's that were way off the mark because the person just did some seat of the pants testing and a narrow band (Auto Meter) guage. The JWT maps are not as far off as many people try to portray them and frankly I think that are the best plug and plug ECU because of the R&D Jim and the boys did before they released their products. The only I can say to the negative is that they should hire a couple more people to help with turn around but the big business they are doing is a testimonial to the quality.

Mike, where do you run your AFR on the street down there? In the 11's?

Oh yeah, our 91 has 10% Ethanol but it is $1.72/gal... But I mix Sunoco 100 with it 1:1 so my cars don't hate me too much.

Troy

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
KA24Tech said:
Mike has really good points about A/F ratios on the JWT maps. I chose to add the AFC here in CO on the Altima to make minor corrections in the map calibrated for low altitude. I tuned with the Lambda Wide Band O2 for the Fuel and a little tweaking with the EGT for the timing. Ideally you should data log your pulls and then send the data to Jim Wolf, they tweak the program per your info, and send you the moded-map back for the ECU reflash, but that is the ideal. However, on the 300 I felt it was totally fine the way JWT reflash came from them because here it will tend to run a little fatter but not to the extent that power is suffering just safer.
Jim Wolf does discourage the use of piggy-backs for a reason and that is 90+% of the people who purchase their products don't need or have the technical resources to tune an engine for correct A/F ratios for optimum power per the usage. I have setup several AFC's that were way off the mark because the person just did some seat of the pants testing and a narrow band (Auto Meter) guage. The JWT maps are not as far off as many people try to portray them and frankly I think that are the best plug and plug ECU because of the R&D Jim and the boys did before they released their products. The only I can say to the negative is that they should hire a couple more people to help with turn around but the big business they are doing is a testimonial to the quality.

Mike, where do you run your AFR on the street down there? In the 11's?

Oh yeah, our 91 has 10% Ethanol but it is $1.72/gal... But I mix Sunoco 100 with it 1:1 so my cars don't hate me too much.

Troy
Exactly most people are clueless when it comes to tuning and don't have a wideband nor the knowlege to know whats an appropriate a/f ratio.

My Z is tuned for mid 11's on pump gas and my race gas program is low 12's (being conservative, my engine was expensive!)

Mike

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.