Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan recommends against it, something to do with the pintel (?) injectors we have. What's the L/D here guys? I find it hard to believe that injector cleaner will damage anything but then again I'm not an engineer.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That's because most cleaners contain alcohol which tends to form rust and corrode the injectors if used often. STP products contain no alcohol and are safe to use. I've been adding a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner twice a year on my car for the past 5-6 years now with no problems. Works great and helps my car run alot smoother... :)

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
sentrapower93 said:
That's because most cleaners contain alcohol which tends to form rust and corrode the injectors if used often. STP products contain no alcohol and are safe to use. I've been adding a bottle of STP complete fuel system cleaner twice a year on my car for the past 5-6 years now with no problems. Works great and helps my car run alot smoother... :)
alcohol isnt bad unless it is methanol. isopropyl wont hurt your system. isopropyl is just rubbing alcohol. this is what is in FI cleaners:Aliphatic hydrocarbon,TRIMETHYLBENZENE-1,2,4,XYLENE,CUMENE,KEROSENE, etc. if your thinking of "alcohol" is the reason, think again. this is what is in our pump gas:ingredients

its not rust it forms. actually the chemicals in some FI cleaners destroy the pintle valve of the injector and the internal housing of the injector itself. Those are not good for the fuel system.

So Centurion, what should you look for? basically it is very hard to know what you are looking for unless you are a chemist. as a consumer, this is what you could look for, Methanol and Kerosene that i know of.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SRV1 said:

So Centurion, what should you look for?
I hear alot of got things about Chevron Textron (?) FI cleaner, so maybe I should check that out. I have used STP once and like sentrapower93 said it did help, but I didn't dare use it again.

·
Driver
736 Posts
I use a super concentrated injector cleaner made by gunk...comes in an orange bottle and costs about $2.39 Works fine for me, has same ingredients as the STP, and doesn't cost $8 more.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
actually i used all of the cleaners you guys mentioned and never had problems with any myself. Chevron Techron seems to work the best. They all do work, but it is a matter of seeing which works the best. STP always worked for me. There is this stuff made by OUTLAW and they have a bunch of cleaners and Octane boosters out and i have use the cleaner and didnt do a damn thing. Stay with the basic name brands and i think you should be fine.

As for the chemicals i told you to stay away from, i just know from experience what they do to metals, plastics and rubbers. Bosch has been dealing with fuel many years, so when they do make injectors, they usually make them with other chemicals(off the shelf products) in mind.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
My brother's in law are mechanics and said that Chevron Techron is the only stuff that really does any good at all. I never use the stuff myself. And from what I understand too much of any type of alcohol, even isopropyl can leave deposits and can contribute to clogging your injectors if used too often.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nissan only recommends one injector cleaner on Nissans. It is by 3M and you can go to the dealer and get it.

·
No Nissan Yet
139 Posts
toolapcfan said:
My brother's in law are mechanics and said that Chevron Techron is the only stuff that really does any good at all. I never use the stuff myself. And from what I understand too much of any type of alcohol, even isopropyl can leave deposits and can contribute to clogging your injectors if used too often.
since the alcohol it diluted in gas, you wouldnt really have that many deposits since you only use about 8oz. to a tankful of gas. from what i gather, only deposits it make is when it is burnt, so i dont know how it can make deposits unless it has a chemical reaction with a metal piece of the injector.:confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use STP's fuel injector cleaners twice a yr.. not sure how dirty is my tank, but usually after using it, my filters get clogged up and the car develops a hard start condition.

It could be the cleaners remove the oxidation from the injectors, but at the same time doesn't dissolve them comletely. Hence the dirt in the fuel seems to collect at the base of the tank.

the injector cleaner does allow the car to run smoother and consumption is improved. But I read somewhere that it's not good to use too much of it. It tends to 'eat' into the nozzle of the injectors, opening the nozzle too wide and resulting in poor fuel spray over the long run.

my 2 cents worth.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
to really clean the fuel injectors would be to have the appropriate solution flow by itself and let the car burn it off, anything mixed with fuel is basically diluted and i doubt the effect, but if it works, hey why not........

·
Ive got a pickle 4 an arm
340 Posts
BORNGEARHEAD said:
Nissan only recommends one injector cleaner on Nissans. It is by 3M and you can go to the dealer and get it.
thats because they want you to buy it from them. they stock it, so of course they are goin to recommend it.

so why do you guys use cleaner so often? y doesn't it work once for 30,000 miles and whatnot. if you just replace the injectors won't it be cheaper then continously pumpin in cleaner?

AND....

What about Texaco CleanSystem 3 gas? thats all i put in my car, mostly because the station i go to is pretty much the cheapest, except for Getty, which i've noticed poorer fuel economy with Getty.

Texaco advertises that it "adds more life to your car" by cleaning it out

·
Registered
69 Posts
you are safe to go with Kleen-Flo as it is mineral oil based .. and wont bake onto the injector tips like the STP and STP like products that use alcohol in their products ..

After using Kleen-Flo before filling my tank .. I noticed a difference right away ... instant and cheap power .. because the injectors were cleaner than before ... STP works for like that time u put it on then run the engine .. then after a few more times .. your back to where you started again .. with a clogged/dirty injector

1 - 15 of 15 Posts