Nissan Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
95 200sx, 152k miles 5speed, only problem is it has a massive oil leak cause the guy i bought it from never seemed to take care of her. But its still goin strong :)

Im hoping to own it for years to come.:cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
94 Sentra 1.6L, 199.7k miles....Im glad you guys have this thread, it makes me happy to see that i got a really good deal on my first car...I bought my Sentra for $700, and put about $200 into it. i was scared that it was gonna quit at any time, but seeing you guys with half a million miles, it gives me hope, and makes me happy. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
97 Nisaan Sentra XE [email protected]

After reading the postings I feel good about my purchase on a 97 Nissan Sentra XE w/214,000K.
The timing was just replaced. I have to add new struts but she sounds and runs good. I'm hoping to get another 100K out of her.

Planning to use high mileage oil and Redline additive to the fuel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have 326,000 on my '97 Sentra 1.6. I bought it in 2001 with 86,000 on it. I've used only Mobil One in it and all I've had to replace in the 14 years I've had this car is brakes, tires, alternator, plugs, belts and a couple of batteries. It still has the original clutch and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. Best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sounds like my experience with my 97 200SX - her original clutch lasted until ~580,000. I discovered that the alternators go almost precisely every 200K - it was like clockwork so could pretty much predict it. I did finally have to replace the fuel pump in the 500's and had an engine replaced at 436K, but other than that the rest was stuff I consider disposable and expected as you noted, Powderfinger

·
Registered
6 Posts
94 Sentra XE

Not sure about high mileage, but my 94 Sentra "XE" has Just rolled over 301K Just recently did I thought it jumped time, but it didn't. This car was given to me has a non running, moving vehicle, with an electrical problem, I Simply replaced the injectors, plugs, wires, and new clutch, and did some wiring work on the inside, (Fan Blower, AC Switch) and I've haven't had a issue with it until recently. But that has all been sorted it now. and most amazingly the MPG on this car is just nuts. If I had to buy another it'd be one of the same.

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Wow, I thought my mileage at 280,000 was impressive, but there are some incredible mileage reports here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No, 177k is just out of the break in period. I have over 300,000 miles on my 2000 Frontier, still runs great, still has original clutch (and I tow a 3000 lb boat), no dents or rust. I have only changed the oil every 3000 miles, replaced tires, brakes and battery when needed and do regular 100,000 mile maintenance (plugs, wires, belts, hoses & all fluids) My next goal is 500k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
274,257 and going strong. Original motor and automatic transmission. It's a 1996 1.6 liter. Have replaced both cv joints, both front wheel bearings, brake pads, rotors once, alternator 3 times, regreased rear wheel bearings, Struts, shocks, tie rod ends, rear brake shoes once, belts once. Not much else, and I did it all myself, except for the front wheel bearings. Did all own oil changes and tranny fluid changes. I find it amazing that it still has the original working a/c compressor, water pump, power steering pump, fuel pump, etc. Best car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
274,257 and going strong. Original motor and automatic transmission. It's a 1996 1.6 liter. Have replaced both cv joints, both front wheel bearings, brake pads, rotors once, alternator 3 times, regreased rear wheel bearings, Struts, shocks, tie rod ends, rear brake shoes once, belts once. Not much else, and I did it all myself, except for the front wheel bearings. Did all own oil changes and tranny fluid changes. I find it amazing that it still has the original working a/c compressor, water pump, power steering pump, fuel pump, etc. Best car I've ever owned.
According to that list, you should be on about your 2nd upper chain tensioner and front crank seal. Seem to be normal-ish wear items about every 100K-150K. Any issues there?
Only thing I haven't done on your list is CV joints. I just went with whole axles. Seems like that was a heckuva lot easier that way. Sure more $$$, but easier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
According to that list, you should be on about your 2nd upper chain tensioner and front crank seal. Seem to be normal-ish wear items about every 100K-150K. Any issues there?
Only thing I haven't done on your list is CV joints. I just went with whole axles. Seems like that was a heckuva lot easier that way. Sure more $$$, but easier.
Timing chain is supposed to last the life of the vehicle, is what I hear. No timing chain work on mine yet. Front crank seal was replaced once, when they did the right front wheel bearing. But I got to admit, it leaked for a long time. Yea, I replaced the whole axles on both sides and not just the c/v joints.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Timing chain is supposed to last the life of the vehicle, is what I hear.
That's the feeling I'm getting as well. Had to pull my stuff apart at about 160K. Chain looked fine...a hair bit stretched when compared to a new one, but otherwise ok. I had other issues with the intermediate gear missing teeth...then I jacked everything up by forgetting to tighten up a couple of bolts. Long story...
It's the upper tensioner phenolic block that ends up getting a groove worn in it. Eventually, it gets worn away almost completely and the engine ends up sounding a bit like a loud sewing machine and/or a diesel...from the chain slapping around a bit and from the chain dragging across bare metal as well. Here's part of my long sad story :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvC4fQrnyg

In short, if the engine is making a racket like a diesel, probably gotta swap out the upper tensioner. Fairly cheap and easy fix if everything goes right. Or in my case, basically close to hell if it doesn't :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
My engine is still running quiet at almost 275,000 miles. Maybe because oil filters I used almost always had the one way valve thingy. These oil filters hold some pressure in the line, or at least some oil in the line, so on start up the oil is already there at the tensioner i believe. I'll be listening closely for anything unusual tho.

I have a '95 hard body truck that has these type of guides slash tensioners, and I hear they can have the same type of wear. The one way valve oil filters are the best insurance for this, so I hear.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts