Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hah - you got a ways to go.....my 97 went 437+ before replacing the engine(didn't HAVE to, but she had lost a stride) and now at 575K+. These engines are made to run - actually, they're happier with long runs rather than short trips....the more they run, the better they do - don't let them sit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hah - you got a ways to go.....my 97 went 437+ before replacing the engine(didn't HAVE to, but she had lost a stride) and now at 575K+. These engines are made to run - actually, they're happier with long runs rather than short trips....the more they run, the better they do - don't let them sit.
Holy Crap! I have a 94 with 128k so I'm hoping for a lot more miles! Did you have to replace any major things (transmission, etc) before you finally did trade out the engine?

:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Holy Crap! I have a 94 with 128k so I'm hoping for a lot more miles! Did you have to replace any major things (transmission, etc) before you finally did trade out the engine?

:)
I did have to have the manual tranny rebuilt at 157K, but that was really my own fault. I had a bad habit of simply pulling her out of gear instead of using the clutch - needless to say, had a lot of metal clanking around the gears :rolleyes:. Other than that, mostly just regular maintenance and replacement of items that usually have limited lifespans (i.e., batteries).

I have found that the alternators on these seem to need replacement about every 200-250K and had to replace the starter at about 500K. Also did have to replace the fuel pump at about 530K, and a hub replacement on the front passenger wheel at 550K, but none of this really surprising. Had new front axles and tie rods done too; can't remember when that was. Have not had to have the clutch touched since the tranny rebuild.

She's now at almost 578K (probably hit that this weekend) and still runs like a champ, even in the heat of FL - AC still runs the same as it did brand-new. She's also fairly easy on tires (usually they start dry rotting on me before she runs tread down) and has only had to have brakes worked on once other than normal pad replacements.

Course, my fiance's 89 Toyota 4WD pickup w/original engine is still running at 490K; our friend's just think we've got automotive magic. I prefer to believe that we just make good car choices and then take proper care of them. That's really the key...

·
Registered
79 Posts
You must really love your cars since you dont get new ones.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't blame him.
Today's cars are uninspiring, dull and boring to drive.
They are safe to crash but dangerous to drive.
They are fuel-efficient and emission friendly, but gutless and fragile.
And today's cars THINK way too much.
The computer is the one really driving, you the "driver" only get to make suggestions with the throttle pedal.
I hate drive by wire,
I hate ABS,
I hate thick pillars,
I hate traction control.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't blame him.
Today's cars are uninspiring, dull and boring to drive.
They are safe to crash but dangerous to drive.
They are fuel-efficient and emission friendly, but gutless and fragile.
And today's cars THINK way too much.
The computer is the one really driving, you the "driver" only get to make suggestions with the throttle pedal.
I hate drive by wire,
I hate ABS,
I hate thick pillars,
I hate traction control.
As a transportation engineer, I have to disagree with you on all counts here. It is exactly the features that you have listed that have allowed us to cut our highway fatalities by almost 20,000 annually since the 1970s.

If you think today's cars are boring to drive, then you're obviously driving the wrong cars. Nothing gets more of a rush out of me than when I take my Mazdaspeed3 around some of the tight curvy roads in the countryside where I live.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah these things will go forever. I just bought my 95 sentra gxe last december when it had 232k on it. I was leary having so many miles on it, but it ran great, started fine. He just replaced the stater and timing chain (didn't know what he was doing setting it though I found out). and the only problem it has right now, is it knock climbing a hill and has idle issues when the A/C is running. Both are easy to fix. Otherwise it runs great and gets insane gas mileage on the hwy. I hit 47mpg the other day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i bought a 97 GXE in August of 09,and it has over 202,000 miles on it currently..all i have done is pull the plugs and clean and regap them,and give it an oil change..course tomorrow i have to replace starter..oh well

·
Registered
10 Posts
547k right now, old motor had 531k on it when I pulled it, still runs ok but wanted something fresher. New motor has maybe 30k on it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Outstanding Elm - glad to know that her original would have gone another 80K, but had the same approach. Was time to replace at 437K and couldn't beat the price at $2K including labor.

She's now at 582K and going thru her 1st (hard to believe) clutch assembly, clutch cable and flywheel replacement. In the process, she's thrown her valve cover gasket so replacing that too.

My theory is that spending the $1,500 to $2K that it requires to replace stuff (alternators, starters, belts, hoses, etc.) on a car that still looks cute and was green before green was in style (;)), not to mention insurance, is way more economical.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mateys, just bought a 2001 sentra exalta STA in the Philippines for abt 4000 dollars.....got abt 60000 on the clock, but im not holding my breath re that....automatic tranny, everything else is power too ....any idea how many kms to the litre of gas should I get ? cheers !

·
Registered
19 Posts
my sentra has 232,366kms on the clock. Got it brand new, only replace ignition coil and clutch system and a lot of gas. and some velocity joints. My mom did not maintain it properly that's why.

it was actually my mom's car but i'm using it. She doesn't want me to use it because it might get broken. But I told her that nissan engines are built to last a lifetime as long as it's properly maintained.

·
Registered
17 Posts
141,xxx on my 97 sentra. replaced the wheel bearing on driver side and passenger side axle. replaced the dimmer switch and the valve cover gasket. i average between 35-42mpg. all country and hwy roads. yea these things are green before green was cool. hell these new cars arent green. the newer cars get worse mpg than my sentra.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
yea these things are green before green was cool. hell these new cars arent green. the newer cars get worse mpg than my sentra.
Gotta disagree a bit there...
Just because they get good gas mileage doesn't mean that they're green.
The new vehicles are sacrificing some (not a lot) fuel mileage for cleaner emissions at the exhaust tip.
But you are correct in a couple of respects.
The cars like you describe (I've got a '97 GXE and a '98 200SX) are greener...at least they keep more green in my wallet than the new ones do! And besides, we're still driving. What could be "greener" than NOT using more resources to build a new vehicle and keep one or more out of the landfills?

·
Registered
22 Posts
My manual 200sx SE-R is in the 212K range now. Engine Check light is on. Has a hard time pulling out of reverse BUT I still run 10secs on the 1/8 mile. Yes, there some bolt on mods too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
FWIW, I think I have one of the lowest mileage GA16 cars at 22K miles. Yeah I know....off topic! :p

1 - 20 of 53 Posts