Nissan Freak
462 Posts
i have the PS header
the HS is better looking, performing and comes with a down pipe
PS is cheaper, stock rusty lookin, but still a great bang for the buck

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
i have a ps header, and from what i've heard from friends with the hs, they can't tell a difference between theirs and mine (with same mods) it is better bang for your buck.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
LexKyB13 said:
i have a ps header, and from what i've heard from friends with the hs, they can't tell a difference between theirs and mine (with same mods) it is better bang for your buck.
I think you need new friends then,,,,lol

It's like anything else... do you want the cheap plastic shift knob from Walmart or you want a Momo?..Do you want K-Mart tires or a good brand??. The bottom line is you get what you pay for...... in no way shape or form is the pacesetter anything like the Hotshot Header. Put them side by side and you'll be amazed at the difference.

The Pacesetter is a direct copy of the 1st gen Hotshot...minus the downpipe which has a flex joint...That alone makes a lot of difference in both price and performance... The Hotshot is now on like Gen 5 on the SR20 and Gen 4 on the GA....each generation has shown improvment in all areas.....so its kinda hard to say they are the same.

I would say...save your money and buy the Hotshot.. You won't have to replace it after two years and it will look good and make a lot more power.

Michael

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
AGREED!

As stated the HS is DYNO proven to make more power. Not a seat of the pants assessment! Anyway the MAIN difference is that the PS is a copy of the HS first gen. ( as mike stated), this is bad because the wrong primaries are paired on the header, this is the main reason HS released the 2nd (and beyond) gen. of the GA16 header. Yes the Pace Setter is better than the stock manifold, no it is not better than the Hot Shot.

·
Registered
351 Posts
AGREED - but not completely

according to dyno comparos of Pacesetter vs Hotshot on 2.0 engine** here are some numbers:
Hotshot:
3.1 HP average power gain from 4400-7400rpm
2.6 LB-FT average TQ gain 4400-7400rpm

Pacesetter:
2.6 HP average power gain from 4400-7400rpm
2.2 LB-FT average TQ gain 4400-7400rpm

here are pics

now I am not advertising any of them, but one can make his/her decision whether they want to spend $200 or $400 based on these figures*

*last official figures that I am aware of
** 1.6 gains are probably similar, if not closer to each other

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Point.

Those are specs. for the SR20. The GA models have never been dynoed. back to back. ANother thing to consider is ultimate power potentil, with the primaries paired wrong on the PS this will limit power as you get in too more serious bolt ons like the cams and such. It really depends on goals and budget. Clearly the HS offers better performance, but that comes with a price. Do you want to pay or don't you, it's that simple.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Point

Original Post: How good are the Pacesetter headers compared to the much more expensive HotShots?

Unfortunately I don't have dyno pics of comparos done for 1.6L.. true 1.6 and 2.0 are not the same engine, but it's the closest (and probably fairly accurate) figures that are available that could be used to estimate gains in 1.6.

·
Registered
351 Posts
myoung said:
do you have a rust comparision too?...lol
hehe.. I dunno.. lets ask wes about his header... rumors floating someone is sending it for recoating.... haha... I'm just jk.. I hope I didn't give out any personal or incorrect info.. :)

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
HAHAHA

This is becoming a soap opera! Anyway, yes, my Header is flaking near the primary to secondary connection, but I can tell you why that is, I had a minor exhaust leak at that connection and it has cause some of the coating to flake off a bit. Look at it this way, at least the coating has lasted QUITE a while ( the majority of it is fine) whereas the PS is known to completely flake upon startup. Greg can attest to this. No one is saying that the PS is a POS, we are simply saying the HS is currently the best product on the market, not the best product for every budget/enthusiast.

Anyway, the header is going bye bye the day BEFORE the turbo kit is released ;) If it's any indication, after my experience with the CAI and header I am going to drop quite achunk of change for another HS product.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: HAHAHA

wes said:
No one is saying that the PS is a POS, we are simply saying the HS is currently the best product on the market, not the best product for every budget/enthusiast.
I think this thread has stayed pretty neutral on both sides and informational... until now: damn crickets! lol.. ok thats it.. :)

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
myoung said:
do you have a rust comparision too?...lol
laugh all you want but people pass emissions in california, even the visual cause the ps looks like stock do to the rust:)

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
Re: HAHAHA

wes said:
Greg can attest to this. No one is saying that the PS is a POS, we are simply saying the HS is currently the best product on the market, not the best product for every budget/enthusiast.

yes yes i can attest that, when they came in new, damn i was what are these peopel talkin about they look bad ass black, put them on, start the car, smoke coming from them, one the fans turn on the paint peels went all over the engine bay and garage lol

but as wes said hs is probably the better product, and u get what you pay for
i got the pacesetter cause i couldnt resist payin for htem 50$ brand new:)

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
don't get me wrong, i agree that hs is the better performer, but i think, imop, that it is not worth the money just to use it for about 2 years, that is why i bought the ps, it was cheap and my stock header was going quickly, anyway, a turbo manifold will replace it shortly, actually, a new engine (ga) will replace the whole damn thing. but this has been informational, thanks guys.~Mike

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
Classic XE said:
How good are the Pacesetter headers compared to the much more expensive HotShots?
The primaries are paired wrong on the Pacesetter so the tri-y effect won't work and the opposing cylinders can be reversion contaminated on overlap by the paired cylinder since they are next to each other in the firing order instead of opposite. This will make a bigger difference when bigger cams are used.

They have the same problem as the first generation of Hotsot header that got redesigned by my advice to John, one of the reasons why it works a lot better in the second gen version.

The Hotshot has better welding, thicker tubing, ceramic coating and a CNC machined thick flange for a better port fit.

Actualy Pacesetter stole the design from Hotshot, the Pacesetter actualy fit perfectly in Hotshots jigs. I don't respect companies that flat out steal from other smaller companies even if they did steal the wrong design.

This is the main reason I will never by a Pacesetter header.

Mike

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey thanks a lot for all of your responses. I saw that you can have the PS ceramic coated. I dont think that makes a difference performance wise. I just saw the HS for about $400 and the PS for $200. Thats quite a difference, but I think I might wait for the HS. :cool:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts