Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installation of a new air filter and a recent tune-up (everything factory stock), I filled up the gas tank after a lot of highway driving this weekend and calculated 41 miles per gallon on 87 octane.

Before the tune-up and with a dirty air filter I was getting anywhere from 28-34 mpg.

Who else has seen 40+ mpg on their GA16?

This was in a 1996 200SX SE with nearly 172,000 miles.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
what speed do you cruise at? i think you've found the most efficient speed by accident.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tavel said:
what speed do you cruise at? i think you've found the most efficient speed by accident.
This was a lot of late night driving so I set the cruise around 63-65 mph for the 55 zone, and 58-60 for the 50 zone. Too many cops to risk the driving record at night. You also mentioned a good point. I used the cruise control quite a bit during this run. However, I sat in a few traffic backups on that gas tank as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got 42 mpg before on a 400 mile trip. most of the time though I get around 28-32 mixed driving. It helps not to go over 65mph. At a steady 70 on long trips I get around 35-38.

·
Registered
851 Posts
im lucky if i see above 25mpg. but then again, my engine is usually only got a 1/4 of the oil it needs. its missing a muffler, and god knows what else is wrong with it.....**AND** thats with about 175-200 miles highway driving :happysad:

but then again, i do cruise on the parkway at over 65, in fourth (no 5th gear). its hard to keep my car under 70 :mad: there are so many stupid drivers on the road that just piss me off and make me want to get to point B just that much quicker :mad:

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
I ALWAYS get 40...

divided by 2, to the gallon. :thumbup:

Yeah, I agree... I think it's time to replace the o2 sensor, I have a CEL I should check anyway. Just went on in the last week. Replaced my sparkplugs today, that should help, I hope. There was a lot of carbon and shit on the ones I pulled..

·
Registered
120 Posts
I get 40+ highway mileage consistently, but the Canadian gallon is larger than the US gallon. Of course, it's been the Canadian litre for quite some time, but miles per gallon just means more. Litres makes sense when you're talking about engine size! :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yep, I used to get 40+ miles to the gallon consistently. That was 95% highway at 60-65MPH. With my hours and traffic, now I see 32-36MPG. I noticed keeping it under 65MPH really keeps mileage up, but that isn't much fun :)

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
johnand said:
Yep, I used to get 40+ miles to the gallon consistently. That was 95% highway at 60-65MPH. With my hours and traffic, now I see 32-36MPG. I noticed keeping it under 65MPH really keeps mileage up, but that isn't much fun :)
haha. I agree. I have a bad habit of getting on it here and there for fun. I average around 30 right now but that's also with cams and ecu(JWT). When I drove the car from rhode island(where I got the car) to south central pa where I live I got about 40-42 and that was when the car was in dire need of a tune up. Got home and found the tranny fluid hadn't been changed in ages and the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, fuel filter, etc just all looked like crap so I'll bet I could have gotten more out of it after a good tune up but I don't drive highway much

Mitch

·
Registered
94 Posts
i wish mine got 30-35 mpg... I'm only averaging around 26-28mpg at about 280 miles on a tank. But then again i've got a 95 Sentra XE & 4 Spd Auto... So that saps my mileage pretty bad.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My best is 41 mpg on a trip from Erie to Philly on I80 cruising at 80-85mph. Probably could have been better but I think saving an hour is better than saving a dollar or so in gas...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JerodKing said:
My best is 41 mpg on a trip from Erie to Philly on I80 cruising at 80-85mph. Probably could have been better but I think saving an hour is better than saving a dollar or so in gas...
True dat. I would do the same, if I were brave enough that late at night.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i probably could get 40+ per gallon if i didnt take off so fast but i still see about 35 miles per gallon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ya I think 42 miles to the gallon is achievable but , mostly in the northern stat in the northern states, because in florida gas evaporates!! On a hot day , you'll get about 25 -28 mpg easy . But I think the colder the air is outside w/ cai , each 10 degrees lower results in some increase in horse power . :thumbup: You guys now what I"m talking about. Question: Why does your cars feel quicker at night instead of in the daytime? Temperature Drop, U agree??? :fluffy:

·
Registered
72 Posts
maddnizmo said:
Ya I think 42 miles to the gallon is achievable but , mostly in the northern stat in the northern states, because in florida gas evaporates!! On a hot day , you'll get about 25 -28 mpg easy . But I think the colder the air is outside w/ cai , each 10 degrees lower results in some increase in horse power . :thumbup: You guys now what I"m talking about. Question: Why does your cars feel quicker at night instead of in the daytime? Temperature Drop, U agree??? :fluffy:
I always seem to get worse gas mileage in the winter, I always figured it was from additives to gasoline to help keep it from freezing. And I would trade all the "advantages" we have in terms of gas mileage for a car that has never seen 2 feet of snow in a day and enough salt to make a small ocean. Rust free must be nice...

·
Registered
20 Posts
JerodKing said:
. And I would trade all the "advantages" we have in terms of gas mileage for a car that has never seen 2 feet of snow in a day and enough salt to make a small ocean. Rust free must be nice...

Man U just made my day! :cheers:
I never heard that before especially==>enough salt to make a small ocean
you gotta laught when u read that (lol)

·
Registered
73 Posts
31-35 mpg, just replaced the fuel filter and plugs, now I'm getting about 10 to 20 more miles per tank...every bit helps when you drive freaking far to work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
yesterday, I came from Miami to Atlanta with cruise control at 70 mph all the way. I got 40.8 mpg. I just changed the oil before my trip and I did tune-up recently

·
Registered
175 Posts
znamya said:
yesterday, I came from Miami to Atlanta with cruise control at 70 mph all the way. I got 40.8 mpg. I just changed the oil before my trip and I did tune-up recently

Here lately i've been getting around 28 - 32 mpg w/ my custom mandrel bent 2.25 in. magnaflow exhaust / hotshot wai (used to be CAI, just haven't had time with the virginia weather to put the cai part back on) and 17 inch Rev wheels. I've had the car over a year now and i've noticed here recently my mileage has dropped from around 34-36 mpg to around 30 (best I can get). Now when I first bought the car and drove it home w/ no mods at all, stock 14 inch wheels w/ the ugliest stock hub caps, I was getting around 40 mpg, but then again I was shifting every gear at 3 k rpms... now I find my self shifting around 4 grand w/ my exhaust and wheels.... Its in dire need of a tune up, due to the plugs not being gapped exactly at the specific standard and still using the stock plugs I presume, the car only had a little over 42 k when I bought her and im now getting close to 78 k .. so i'm headed down the tune up road here soon as soon as I get some dough, just wanted to know if anyone else had 17's or larger that were getting around 35 mpg... thats my goal, I know the 40 mpg days are long gone, alot of town/highway driving, just want to know if there is something else thats going on w/ my car, ever penny counts these days with the gas prices as high as they are.

sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
definetely do the tune up (at least plugs, cap, and rotor). Use genuine Nissan parts, and NGK plugs. In all honesty, I get anywhere from 35-38 mpg on the rush hour commute, but was seeing 27-32 before the tuneup and new air filter. I usually shift around 4K as well, sometimes higher. The 40+ is from long highway driving with few lights, and lower shift points. Also, I'm running stock everything, including 14" wheels.

I can imagine the 17" wheels killing your fuel economy especially if it were better prior to the wheel upgrade.

My own personal opinion suggests that 17" wheels are a bit too large for the 200SX, but I won't bash, and I bet they look worlds better than my stockers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts