Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I picked up a 4 lug Mazda Miata wheel set for my 89 Sport Coupe. The wheels and tires are in almost new condition. I went to put them on and the lugs fit fine..but the hole in the wheel that goes over the hub is too small. The hole is 2" and it takes 2 1/4" to get over the Sport Coupe's hubs.

Has anyone had to deal with this before?
They're aluminum wheels and I don't want to take the tires off if at all possible because I really can't afford that crap right now.

I was thinking of calling a metal shop that works with aluminum and seeing how much they want to steal from me for doing this..

Does anyone have a different solution? I tried grinding and it eats through grinding stones like cookies.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm going to call some wheel places and shops tomorrow and see...maybe
get a quote. I have a better than average grinder. It's compressor driven, not a Dremel Tool...and the biggest stones got ground into pebbles like nothing. I'm going to look into an aluminum stone..

It has to be done because the rims are almost new as well as the tires. They're brand new Dunlaps. The woman "didn't like the wheels" when she bought the car new. So the husband had the dealer put new wheels on it and kept the old ones in his garage.

I have belt starting to show in one of my tires..so I have to do this ASAP. Again, something I thought would be super simple turned into a real job. Hah.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A machine shop would be your best bet... I'm a whiz in the garage...but I don't like fucking around with rotational tolerances... better safe than sorry homie...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wouldnt just grind

A machine shop would be your best bet... I'm a whiz in the garage...but I don't like fucking around with rotational tolerances... better safe than sorry homie...
2x ^^

I wouldn't just start grinding on the wheels. Throw off the balance pretty easy. A machine shop should be able to handle this. Search around on google and there are people that have done this for other cars and also for sentras. Specifically older miata wheels. Cant remember which year but they ad stock wheels that are really light. Look on miata boards for a little more idea.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm going to go ahead and have the tires put on my stock rims
until I get the wheels sorted out. I'm going to do some searching.
The two shops I've talked to quoted me ridiculous prices. I could
but new Kong wheels or some crap with the money they were
talking.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you have a high school vocational school in the area? They should be more than competant enough to enlarge the center bore of your wheel and most will do work for a small donation. I've done this before and the work has been fine and far cheaper than what I would paid at a regular shop. I've had some brackets machined out of aluminum, had a crank balancer center bore enlarged slightly, etc.

Just an idea.

P.S. You can also get cheap, yet decent paintjobs this way too if there is a bodyshop class. My last Sentra had some minor bodywork and was reshot in base/clear for $600. It looked better than any Earl Scheib or Maaco job I've seen, too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great idea. There are tons of vocational schools in the area. Both college and high school. I'll have to do some poking around to figure out who's doing what and where. I've talked to a couple people online that seem to think making the bore bigger would be more expensive than new wheels and tires. Even though I'm inexperienced to the field, I don't believe it to be true. The wheel's bore is already centered. You're just making it bigger..meaning - 99% of the math, geometry and work is already done for you.

$600 isn't bad for a paint job at all. There's a college near me that I was thinking about taking my Sport Coupe to for a spray. My only concern was students/kids messing up the trim and possibly other parts during removal. Only because they're harder to track down than the sedans. I may still take the chance in the spring. Did they just tape off the car or remove all the lights and such?

·
Registered
196 Posts
On my Sentra, they removed the lights, grille and most of the things that come off easily. The only things they taped were the window seals. Everything turned out really well and it held up and still looked good after 4 years when I sold it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will it make it through that aluminum?
I just tossed my tires on my stock Sport Coupe wheels for now...

Recommend a brand or any other info?
I wouldn't mind experimenting on a set of Del Sol wheels I have
here...just to see what would happen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my Sentra, they removed the lights, grille and most of the things that come off easily. The only things they taped were the window seals. Everything turned out really well and it held up and still looked good after 4 years when I sold it.
Right on, man. Yeah, I think after getting a feel for everyone in the
shop, I wouldn't have a problem leaving it to them...

·
Still Nissaning
825 Posts
Saturn has some nice alloys...
The have the same issue with the center hole is too small for the hub by 1/4".
I just spent 15 minutes a piece with a rat tail file and the fit perfectly. I would not recomend a hole saw, since there is nothing in the middle to hold the pilot bit aligned you would never be sure it was anywhere near centered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A hole saw will eat right thru, no problem. Just make sure its a BI-METAL hole saw, and use a lube like bar soap or candle wax if it starts to load the gullets. To pilot the hole saw, first cut a hole in a piece of wood, then clamp it to the rim, or you may even be able to just stand on it (rim flat on floor). Drill speed: slow. Don't forget the safety glasses.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ended up getting rid of the Miata wheels a few days ago.

I'm gonna keep and use the stock wheels, bro. But if I get
rid of them in the future, I'll make sure you get first crack
at them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I found a set out of state. I may be traveling that way in a month
or so. Not 100% certain. If they're still there, I'll pick'em up for
sure. I'm having some photos of them sent to me. I've wanted
the 300z looking ones for a while. So if that's what they are, I'll
toss them on my car and sell you mine.