Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i was driving to work earlier and i started to notice my 92 nx with a GA16DE seemed a little low on power, and noticed a weird smell. It smelled basically like burning plastic or rubber or something. I didnt have this problem yesterday.

I stopped and got gas, (it was happening before i got the gas so i'm thinking it cant be a bad batch of gas). and got on the freeway. At one stop light i noticed it seemed like it wasnt accelerating really well, and i looked behind me and saw this giant cloud of white smoke coming out of the back of my car.

I kept driving to work, on a hill right before i got there it really started to hesitate, i thought it was going to stall out, or maybe somehow i lost all my oil and the engine was siezing up, it was that bad. i hit the clutch and was about to pull over, but i figured maybe i could just hope make it to work anyways, and got back on the gas, it was fine after that.

When i got to work i checked everything, it didnt look like it was burning oil or coolant, they were both full, (you'd think it would have to be burning a LOT of something to make that much smoke and affect power that much), plus i did a compression test just a week ago and all the cylinders were at about 140.

When i drove it home tonight, it was still hesitating, i still noticed the smell (i couldnt tell if it was smoking because it was dark). It wasnt as bad as when i drove it too work, but i still notice that it seems to hesitate in first and second gear on acceleration.

While i was at work i thought maybe i was an idiot and left the e-brake on or something, but even making sure it wasnt on i was still having the problem. Anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
734 Posts
i'm just gonna take a guess here and say that your pulling oil back through your intake and fouling plugs. I know if the PVC grommet goes bad, it will send oil through the intake.

I would take the intake piping loose and inspect it for any oil.
its possible that your oil rings are worn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did find some oil in the intake piping. I pulled the valve cover, and i saw those two ports in the valve cover casing for the pvc and breather (on big one, one tiny). Neither one of them had any kind of gasket or grommit on them.

Do both of those things need some kind of gasket? I'm trying to picture what i need on these things, but since they werent even that i'm having trouble. anyone got a diagram or part number?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the nissan dealer and asked them about it, they said they dont make those gaskets anymore. I'm trying to look around at parts stores but those people have no idea what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just got the grommets from Nissan about 2 months ago. Part number: 13271-4M501
If you didnt see a small square grommet under the valve cover, then i would bet that thats your problem. I got 2 from nissan for $10. I would call them back and give them that part number. They had these in stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the part number online after a bunch of searching, and i called the dealer back and asked for that number, the guy got bitchy and said he just looked it up for me, and it's discontinued. Whatever, that dealership sucks, but it's the only one around here, i've called them about 4 or 5 times looking for parts and they've not once been able to find the stuff for me.

I looked around the valve train and found the old seal, it was broke in two and fell off, i assume it's supposed to be rubber, but it was hard as plastic, must of just fallen off yesterday.

I couldnt find the seal anywhere, so i just loaded a bunch of black silicone around where the seal goes, and on the pcv tubing. Not really the proper thing to do, i know, but i need to drive it in a few hours, and it'll have to do until i order a new seal.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Im confused on how we came to an assumption its oil? I have never owneed a car that didnt burn or leak oil. Burning oil is a noticibly blue or slate color to it. If you have a really white smoke then you are 99.9% are burning coolant. Try to order the grommet from Courtesy nissan. As for the dumbass at the dealership, call the parts manager and let him know his salesman are not wanting to try to find parts for customers and you are rather dissatisfied with the employees/ dealerships service. If that doesnt get anything done go higher or go to nissans website and try to find a way to let them know. I dont care who people are and what they think. If I have found that other people are getting the same part that is "discontinued" then something is wrong with either his ability to search the system or just doesnt give two shits and needs to be fired. But then agian I am an asshole when it comes to dealing with dickheads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well i know for a fact it isnt coolant, because i siliconed up the pcv pipe and that fixed the problem, plus the coolant never went low. The oil only went down a little bit, and i had some oil leaks which i thought i fixed but wasnt sure, so i didnt know if it was leaking it still or burning it.

Plus, oil burning in SMALL quantities will give off a little smoke with a blue hint to it, but burning it in large quantities will make a big white cloud. I see it all the time on class 8 semi trucks, their turbo's seals will go out and they'll start burning gallons of oil, huge white cloud coming out of the tailpipe.

As for the dealership, just screw those idiots. They never even know what i'm talking about anyways. The first time i called the guy was floored that there's an actual 92 nissan still in working condition, his whole attitude on the phone was "what, you want parts for something old!?! Just get a new one!!!".

But every time i call there those guys are either mostly braindead, or just total assholes. But whatever, i wont be surprised when they're a kia dealership next month. I can get parts elsewhere, maybe not as convienent, but whatever.

·
Registered
734 Posts
well i'm glad to hear that fixed your problem.

·
Registered
485 Posts
yeah glad to hear its solved. My stealth used to burn about a quart every hundred miles. Always was a big blueish cloud. Oh well thats why im here to. Always learning.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well to give you an idea of what i mean by big, the first time i noticed it i took off from a stop, and look back and saw the cloud, which pretty much block my view of anything behind me, i thought the rear of my car was on fire. It wasnt for about 10 seconds or so until it cleared that i realized there was a mini-van stuck right behind me in the exhaust, they passed me even though i was doing about 80, just to give me a dirty look.

My take on it is when you put THAT much oil into a cylinder, there's no way you'll burn it all. When it actually burns it'll be blue, but there gets to a point where' you're just dumping so much in that it cant all be burnt, and rather just gets atomized and kicked right out the tailpipe, which makes it kind of a whitish cloud.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
Yea i second that, had a problem with a Honda rebuild, Oil was 75 miles to the quart and lots white smoke !!! (had to go get genuine Honda Rings, that fixed it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts