Nissan Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ’98 4WD Frontier (4 cyl, manual transmission, 190k miles) has been making a high pitch whistling noise when I open the throttle more than ½ way and the RPM is above 2600. If RPM is below 2600 it does not make the noise no matter how much I open the throttle. Almost like an air noise, but could also be something mechanical. I’ve had the noise for the last 50k miles (~5 years) or so. The noise is not that loud but I’ve been wondering what it is for the past 5-6 years. The noise does not seem to be getting worse or change and there seem to be no other performance issues associated with it. I do have a small crack in my exhaust manifold but I muffled that crack using a high temperature cloth (the stuff they use when soldering copper pipes) and some clamps and the noise did not change, so I don’t think its coming from there. Also the noise is the same in different gears under the same engine conditions (>2600 RPM, > ½ throttle) so does not seem like it’s the differential or anything past the gearbox. Finally, I have a camper shell and when I open the rear window I can also hear the noise through there at about the same intensity.

Anyone else have had this high pitch whistling noise with throttle more than ½ open above 2600 RPM?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts