Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started to notice a whisteling sound form my sentra lately, its not as loud as they usually are, but when i am in an underground parking or in a quite alley i hear it, does that mean it might grow and become one of those ugly sounds that a few vehicles on the road emit? why exactly does that sound come and how can i fix it?
thanks a lot in advance

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
When you accelerate, does it begin to disappear? Is it the loudest when you are idling? Have you had cold mornings, or rain lately? Does it sound like an extremely high-pitched whirring noise? How many miles do you have on your Sentra?

If you have not changed the timing or accessory belts at all, this might be a good idea to change them. I've had this high-pitched whirring sound for a while now, and I think I might have to change my belts. They're pretty old, and there are many cracks on them. It happens the most too when it's cold out, or when I first start the car up in the morning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar thing in my 2000 Sentra.It turned out to be the serpentine belts. One easy way to check this is to start the car and drop a little water on the belts when the car is running. If you notice that the sounds goes away when you drop water on the belts,then it is surely the serpentine belts and you need to replace them.

I am not a mechanic, so not sure if this is the right thing to do. But I tried it on my car and it worked.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
What trim?
How many miles?
Belts replaced recently?
All recalls completed?
Modified?
If so, header? If so, did you use a new exhaust manifold gasket?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I once had a whistling sound in my 05SE-R, later to find out it was one of the electronics i had hooked up to a power inverter. Just my two cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts