Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87 Nissan King Cab Z24 4X4

I'm getting a whining noise from the timing chain area. It looks like the timing chain could be too tight. I just replace the head gasket and put it all back together. I placed a wedge to hold the timing chain from slipping, but still had a hard time getting the cam gear back on. This is why I think it's too tight.
The pads on the guides are still in tack, so there is no metal to metal wear from the timing chain against anything.

My question is: Is there a way to loosen the timing chain without having to remove the front cover?

Will the tensioner adjust itself eventually?

Or could there be something else causing this noise.
The motor did not make this noise before the head gasket was replaced.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
what did you use to wedge the chain?? if you used wood, you might have a piece caught in there..
the tensioner is self adjusting unless its damaged or worn or.. it came out too far and when you tried to put the chain back on the tensioner cocked its self at angle so it does not function right (slide in & out) make since??
might expain why the chain is tight

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wedge was made out of wood, I'll check the wedge and see if there is a piece missing. That is a good thought.
I'm able to look down inside and cannot see anything. I can see the tensioner and the guides and they all look good from what I can see from peering down inside the opening.

Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts