Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys.. i have a 96 200sx which is pretty much ready for the junkyard. it has 260k miles on it, 5 speed.. i havent really driven it at all this winter its just been sitting. i started it last week, barely idles steady, it sounds like somethin keeps engaging and disengaging but i cant figure out what it is. the belts sqeal unbelieveably when i hit the gas and smoke pours out from underneath the metal shield over the headers. i would have taken it off but im afraid of what im gonna find.

does anyone know what this means??

·
Registered
81 Posts
well the engage/disengagge sounds like ur a/c compressor. possibly the a/c system has gone dry sitting and it's locked up the compressor and the smoke coming out just means u got a bad exhaust header gasket or a cracked header. nothin major. an exhaust leak COULD cause it to run different if it's pre-O2 sensor may cuase a mis-reading makin the ECM compensate and run rough at idle

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
did you check your drive belts? you might have a pulley locking up causing the squealing noise as well.
do you also have oil leaking from your valve cover? that could also make it's way to you exhaust manifold and cause that smoke from that area.
just some more points to consider.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i removed the heat shield for the header and you can see oil just bubbling out from where the gasket is, or was.. lol. im runnin a p0500 code which is the speed sensor or some bs.. do you think the header has something to do with it? ive checked all the wires on the back of the speedo nothings wrong there, havent decided to check the ecu harness yet. this thing wont even pass inspection and im really not lookin to just throw money out the window to fix it. thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
505 Posts
yeah i removed the heat shield for the header and you can see oil just bubbling out from where the gasket is, or was.. lol. im runnin a p0500 code which is the speed sensor or some bs.. do you think the header has something to do with it? ive checked all the wires on the back of the speedo nothings wrong there, havent decided to check the ecu harness yet. this thing wont even pass inspection and im really not lookin to just throw money out the window to fix it. thanks for the input guys
Here's what needs done first:

1.) Pull belts and examine all the pullies (all should turn freely but the crank pulley)
2.) What is the level of oil?
3.) Fix the code you mentioned
4.) Fix the exhaust leak you may have

Then go from there. Nice you reached 260k. I guess at this point, is it worth to fix?

·
Registered
81 Posts
for the P0500, nissan had problems with this on the sentra speedo clusters. Does ur cruise control cut off intermittently and the light flash? If so, that's what happened to me. the speedo INPUT goes THROUGH the speedo cluster b4 reaching the ECM hence the code. re-tighten the screws on the back of the speedo. not just the speedo itself but all of them. when i bought my sentra it had the same problem. i hear the later models had an issue where the speed sensor would pop out of the tranny but im pretty sure urs is the cluster. of corse make sure there's no corrosion or anything under the cluster too

·
Registered
81 Posts
as far as the oil goes either A: V/C gasket is leaking it onto the headers or B: u got a valve stem seal leak which on the intake will burn the oil and exhaust it'll throw it out the tailpipe and burn it slightly. does it smoke blue when u first start it up? As for fixing the exhaust leak, if u have an early model B14 and dont have the cat in the headers u can get a nice set of OBX headers for under $200 im sure that's cheaper than a replacement stock header and they bolt straight to the downpipe b4 the cat.

Here's my ride, nice pretty shiny headers :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just replaced both the valve cover gasket and the v/c gasket and the exh. manifold gasket, still smoking but it must just be all the sludge/oil on there from before burning off. still get the occasional squeek from the pulley closest to the firewall. it stops after its completely heated up so im not too worried about it. thanks for the help guys.

what a hot mess that was

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
the motor looks good inside, but you got alot of shit caked up on the block it looks like.

·
Registered
505 Posts
just replaced both the valve cover gasket and the v/c gasket and the exh. manifold gasket, still smoking but it must just be all the sludge/oil on there from before burning off. still get the occasional squeek from the pulley closest to the firewall. it stops after its completely heated up so im not too worried about it. thanks for the help guys.

what a hot mess that was
If it still leaks, then the seal isn't properly seated, you'll need to redo it and make sure you get the seal from a dealer and not AUTOZONE or anywhere else. Those seem to not fit properly. Just ask the guys here on the site. Me, IAN and a few others had bad luck with the store seals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts