Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all what do you think is a better swap?
s13 (sr20det) or a rb25det?
please let me know what you gurus think

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still think the RB25DET over the SR20DET?

i wish but wondernig about aftermarket support compared to the sr20det (s13) model if i should just get that swap done...i want to be able to hit 13's...comfotable with high reliabliity to..so i nkeo i can i nteh sr20 dont know abouthte rb25det motor..plus the aftr support on it...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
overall the sr20det will be better , faster, and cheaper.. the installation unless you know how to do your swap and all the mounts would cost about 15grand just labor wont be as fast cuz of so much weight but would be rare to see this i seen it done just not by many cuz its so hard if you know what you are doing go for it if you dont know shit of what you are doing or know nothing at al about RBs dont even attempt you will be wasteing money on so many things and run into problems not many people can help you with. i suggest the SR20det ofcourse s-13 redtop =p

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an RB swap is insane a ca18det or sr20det is something more sensible plus n ur car and on ur wallet

·
Registered
99 Posts
!!!SR20DET!!!

By far... the SR20DET is SMARTEST CHOICE TO MAKE!!!

Hell, if I had a Skyline I would put an SR20DET in it to piss off all other Skyline owners/drivers!

The power potential of the SR20DET is 600RWHP without touching major internals. It would cost you almost nothing to install and with the money that you would spend on an RB26DETT you could tell the Skylines to KISS YO @$$!!!

Also, the RB26DETT would SOOOO WEIGH DOWN YOUR CAR that you wouldn't even need an engine... you might as well get it towed! haha! *Joke*.

I suggest you check out Signal Auto's Silvia S15 with an SR22DET (TODA .2 BORE KIT) and see the sticker on the side window! *It is of a kid (with the word SINGAL on the back of his jacket) pissing on SKYLINE! Hahahaha!!! I almost killed myself laughing when I saw that!!!

!!!SR20DET!!!

If someone told you to jump off a bridge would you? YES... right... well, then get up and GO GET YOURSELF AN SR20DET BOY!!!

SINcerely,
KaOz.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh thanks KaOz

gonna go for the s13 swap thanks bro

·
Registered
146 Posts
you guys must be crazy!!!!
i can tell people are still left out in the fark about RB swaps.
#1 the RB swap (especially the 20 and 25) aren't half as hard or expensive as people think. an RB20det clip is less then an SR motorset.

i laugh when people say dont RB cuz of this and that.
the RB25 only weighs like 70lbs more then the SR....
there is no REAL major cutting or welding to be done.
the RB20 can make 300hp with a fuel pump, fuel computer(like apex'i), and more boost.
this is with stock injectors, intercooler, and turbo.
so while you spend twice what it costs for an SR to make 300hp i'll be there in a week.

my 2 cents:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
rudeboy said:
there is no REAL major cutting or welding to be done.
the RB20 can make 300hp with a fuel pump, fuel computer(like apex'i), and more boost.
this is with stock injectors, intercooler, and turbo.
You forgot to mention that the RB engine uses an AWD (all wheel drive) tranny! So, that would make no sense in the S13 (240SX) because it would cost you greatly to do a simply TRANNY CONVERSION! But hey, you would be the first with an AWD Silvia! :D Hahaha!!!

Well, you may be correct in regards to the RB20 motor. It is a fact that the RB26DETT engine has 350HP, however, due to the "Gentleman's Accord" which is more of a verbal/ethical agreement between all Japanese auto manufacturers... these engines/cars were tuned down to 280HP. In fact, it is all in the ECU which controlls the fuel, etc...

Solution, buy a Skyline and re-program the ECU and you have 350HP within seconds! This is without any other mods!!! The reason for thie "agreement" - if anyone is wondering, is because Japan has strict emission regulations. Thus, more HP means more fuel and more fuel means more emissions!!!

Nice to know that this agreement is now abolished and expect these beasts from the east to have an incredible amount of HP stock! Who knows, maybe the disappointing R36 will have a good 400HP! Time and patience will tell!

Also, where do you plan to find parts for the RB20 engine... my friend? Do you not think that even if they are available... that the price will be so inflated it wouldn't be affordable and worth it. I would find it rare to see parts for any RB engine to be affordable, let alone available. Also, to import an RB and to find one will at least take you a good 2-3 months! Where as SR's are all usually in stock with most engine importers! :D

An SR has a good 205HP (S13 engine) already stock. So, if you want a *budget SR20DET* with power, then simply get parts from the 300ZX which you will find used. Meaning, that the cost is next to nothing.

For more info, check out Sport Compact Car's Project Silvia and see how much they pay for things! Go on the next and check it out! Not a bad example of what I am talking about - *budget Silvia*

I do commend you in making a valid argument! Keep up the smart comments and the good spirits! *I do love how Nissan owners and fans use their brains - unlike other car owners!* :cool:

Take care and keep on smiling,
KaOz. :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
for one not ALL skylines are AWD so there will be no tranny conversions or awd S13's
the GTR does in fact make 300 and change crank hp. the gentlemans agreement is just a handshake, nobody actually follows it. why do you think the Supra and 300zx, and the 3000GT VR-4 all make more then 300hp from the factory? its been documented. :D
as far as engine parts go go to these guys
there are more places to get your parts. besides, we all know the saying-speed costs money-
there are places in the US with skyline front clips in stock. like i said yesterday, an RB20det clip costs less then an SR motor set;)

i also subscribe to SCC and have read both parts to Project Silvia. do you realize that this time last year SR's were goin for $1500? look now.
i'm waiting for my R33 front clip as we speak. so while guys are saving for FMIC and nismo injectors and tryin to figure out how to wire in the fuel computer i will be making a good 300hp in no time. you can get there with an SR after about $1500-$2000

hey, i love a good debate. especially with openminded people

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dear rudeboy...

You make a strong argument and that I like!

In regards to the "gentleman's accord", it was only a handshake. That, you are correct. However, the companies did follow it! (i.e. Mazda RX-7 FC/FD, Nissan Skyline R33/R34, Honda NSX *all types*, Subaru WRX *JDM*, Mitsubishi Evo V/VI, etc.) All of these cars were classified as having 280HP. (See Best Motoring Video's
for test drives and specs).

I do give you credit in regards to the Supra, 300ZX and 3000GT. You do own the rights to those! =)

But if you also notice, the HP potential in all these engines could easily be 350

·
Registered
99 Posts
OMFG>...

OMG... I accidentally cut my reply... stupid ALT tab! hehe!!!

As I was saying, all these cars mentioned could easily have the 350HP stock potential, yet they don't.

But, very good point made by you in regards to those cars!

=====
What would the advantages be in getting an RB engine - specifically, the RB20DET?

Please list and inform me... I am ignorant to this news!

Thanks.

SINcerely,
KaOz.

P.S. A good debate fresh'ns the mind! :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
besides the RB20 being cheaper i found the perfect explaination for you.

"The RB makes about 13kW more than the SR in the early days (160 vs 147) but the SR has been making more than that in JDM cars in the last few years.

The RB is inherently stronger than the SR. The bottom end is absolutely bulletproof, I mean absolutely. Strong little rods, a full crank girdle as standard design. Small light pistons and short stroke. It will safely rev to 9500 on the stock bottom end. (Of course you would want to do a nice clean rebuild if you were going to do that on a regular basis).

The top end is the same. Everything is small and light and it will rev to 8500 absolutely no worries, and I hav seen on stock engine (big turbo and accidentally no rev limiter in the Microtech) go all the way to 9400rpm without valve bounce.

That is an amazing feat.

They can be made to produce up to 500HP on stock internals having a really short life. In fact the best known one of these only died because the wastegate hose fell of and it took 35psi and threw a rod. That engine had been flogged mercilessly for a year at about 250rwkW.

The SR is a typical 2.0L 4 cylinder in that it is about as big as you would want a 4 cyl to be. It does not have the small piston and short stroke advantages of the RB but is still a very strong bottom end. Ultimately I would say not as strong as an RB in stock form, but it is teh difference between a lot of HP and a lot plus a bit more.

The SR has much greater drivability due to having more low and mid torque than the RB. But I reckon the smoothness of the RB and it's absolutely amazing revability counterweight that nicely."

there you have it. instead of me counting down it's all right here.
hope this helps. anymore serious questions just AIM me -

rude240

:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Well done...

Well, there have been some excellent points made in this discussion! Glad to hear it!

Thanks for educating me on the RB20 engine!

Keep up the good spirits and knowledge!

A friend,
KaOz.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kimchee, if your KA is strong, just turbo it yourself. Use something like a garrett t28 or maybe a powerdyne SC. The parts for the SR's are murder by comparison.
PLUS, the KA can handle 6-9 psi without comprimising the engine. Just my 2c ...
Good Luck!~Jarret

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow

i wasnt trying to inflict a mild but intelligent discussion
just curious of others opinions....and i really apperciate everyones
honest and insight

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey jarret,
i really don't personally know anyone with turbo'ed KA's so i'm curious to see how reliable they are after long term use.
i know of a handful of tuning companys/shops that sell kits but never hear of longjeviety(sp) issues.
the KA's CR is perfect for boost but but i'd be worried about how long at minimal boost.
any word?

1 - 20 of 111 Posts