15 x 6.5 38
15 x 6.5 40
15 x 7 38
15 x 7 40

16 x 6.5 38
16 x 6.5 40
16 x 7 38
16 x 7 40

I know that 38 pushes the wheel farther out, so is that problematic on the 7" or better? Also is 7" too wide? The tires will be 205. I'm preferring that the rim be 6.5. This is for street only, and the rims are leightweight. Obviously the 15x6.5 is the lightest and the 16x7 is the heaviest but only by 3 lbs.
Let me know the smarter direction, for handling.

Seth

·
Erin Go Bragh!
168 Posts
Wider is better for handling. 7'' instead of 6.5'' will put more wheel on the ground for better traction and stability. The bigger the wheel size, assuming that the tire wall size doesnt change, will affect your gas mileage and can cause your speedo to be off. There seems to be a lot of choices here for you. I like (IMHO) the 15x7" w/38 mm offset.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah,
15x7 is my fav. the 38 vs. 40 is the ?? because 40 is stock and 38 is 'wider' but since I'm going from 5.5-7" how much wider is it already.
I'm concerned that the rims I'm picking are not available in a 15 though...
I'm keeping the outer diameter the same so the speedo etc. is not affected.

Seth

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DraftEm98 said:
Wider is better for handling. 7'' instead of 6.5'' will put more wheel on the ground for better traction and stability.
Well,
If your tires are 205 on a 6.5" and 205 on a 7" the contact patch stays the same. Just with the 6.5 you have a straight sidewall and on the 7" it is sort of /--\.
I think it's going to be /--\ no matter what short of 8" because 205mm is 8". 195 is 7.5". But I have 195 on stock rims so that can't be right. Anyone want to chime in?

Seth

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
sethwas said:
Well,
If your tires are 205 on a 6.5" and 205 on a 7" the contact patch stays the same. Just with the 6.5 you have a straight sidewall and on the 7" it is sort of /--\.
I think it's going to be /--\ no matter what short of 8" because 205mm is 8". 195 is 7.5". But I have 195 on stock rims so that can't be right. Anyone want to chime in?

Seth
also depending on what tires you put on. some have stiff sidewalls that you don't really see any difference.

let's say, falken azenis rt 215's, vs SO3's on both 15x6.5 wheels, the falkens have more of l--l than the SO3's. just an example.

preferably, i'd go for the lightest one that has a reasonable price.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For maximum performance, I would go for 15" instead of 16". Currently I am running on Konig 15" x 6.5" 10.8 lb per rim, with goodyear 195/50.

6.5" width is a good choice just to avoid scatching the curbs. Lightweigh is also very good, but I do notice they are softer / butter-like.

I hope this helps, Seth. Have a good one !

Michael

·
Registered
327 Posts
Its more than rim wieght. Its also tire wieght. I got the konig helliums @ 10.6lbs w/ 195/50/15 and they wound up being 3lbs lighter per wheel than oem. The rims were 4lbs lighter and the tires were about a pound heavyer(18lbs) than stock. With the tires it depends on side wall stiffness and hieght not in sizing but also in there weight. Stiffer and taller or wider means more materal so more wieght. To let you know though light wheels suck in the wet, and also wide tires.? But the payoff comes on dry roads with better grip and quicker braking and acceleration. On the model tire I got the differance in wieght on the 195 vs 205 was only 1 lbs. so its not a real biggie. Besides wieght down low is good for your center of gravity. But you should get better grip on the dry and slightly worse on wet roads. And your speedo should be dead on. Mine reads 1mph low at 60 if I remeber right.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,
My tires I'm buying from a traction standpoint not weight. I don't know the tradeoff, but I'd rather get a heavier tire that works in the wet than a lighter tire. Besides now the weight is on the tread as opposed to the sidewalls.

Seth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts