Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 Sentra GXE 1.8L with confirmed leaking head gasket (slow leak at that)

I am trying to find the proper head gasket set. Online I see an Ishino Head Gasket set for around $65 and then another one for $170! Supposedly the Ishino is OEM. If someone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Also, how long should it take a good mechanic to replace this? I talked to one mechanic that wants to have some machine work done on the cylinders. That seems presumptous - the car has never experienced serious overheating. It got hot twice since I have owned it and in both cases I pulled to the side of the road imemdiately.

thanks,

brian

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
Did it boil ? and bang ?
The reason the mechanic wants to do machine work is that Aluminum heads warp when they over heat, and replacing the head gasket only means it will fail again, and warp even worse, and you will be un-happy with the mechanic. He doesn't want to re-do it for free or have you pissed off.
So if you are convinced its not been overheated and boiled, then tell him its ok you understand the risk or have the head removed and the warp measured, there usually is a spec in the FSM.
you can also look for an after market heavy duty head gasket.
(maybe thats the higher priced set or that's a full gasket set including the bottom end.)

Or do it yourself ?

What have i done? but not on a Nissan !!

I would do it myself, check it over with a straight edge and feeler gauges and use a heavy duty or steel gasket, with sealant around the coolant holes that are leaking.
Inspecting the old gasket and where the leak is tells you a lot.
BTW I did have to get one Honda head machined !!!

Since these engine seem to have this problem a lot investigate stronger head bolts / studs and torque up to a higher spec ? Anyone done this recommenced this ?
what do the turbo guys do ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It never boiled or steamed and no banging. Right now it is running well. It wouldn't start about 3 weeks ago and a mechanic confirmed slow leak into the4th cylinder. THe tip of the plug had coolant residue. He replaced the plugs and put coolant stop leak.

There are no other signs of serious issues. No discoloration of oil, no white billows from the tailpipe.

I am definitely not skilled to replace the gasket myself...

thanks,

brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts