Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now..I have been looking around and I would like some suggestions for a good exhaust system that would boost the horsepower, but also be affordable cause I am getting horrible paychecks.
Any recommendations?

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
custom made.

T

·
0 Posts
the pacesetter cat-back is pretty cheap, i think i paidlike 180 for mine from nopi. it was easy to install to

·
Registered
34 Posts
220 for stromunG? either you know the owner or it isnt stromung. if you're going for cheap then go custom but you wont necessarily get much power. But then again if you buy an exhaust you're not looking for power gains, you're looking for sound. No one will buy an exhaust for real power gains with a 4cyl.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
GundamONE said:
No one will buy an exhaust for real power gains with a 4cyl.
The Sentra Network

That is where you are wrong. Although you may not see much power gains from a catback exhaust in your civic doesnt mean other cars wont. The GA16DE engine increased 6-7 HP to the wheels with the stromung. Dont say anything you cant back up.

Perhaps the most popular first piece of speed equipment is the exhaust system. The exhaust system on the GA16DE powered Sentra is very restrictive, it was designed for minimum noise instead of free flow. Most new cars only gain 2-3 hp from a cat back exhaust but not GA16 equipped Sentra! We found 6-7 hp to the wheels with our prototype Hotshot cat back system, an impressive gain. The Hotshot exhaust should be available by 3/2001. -The Sentra Network

K

·
0 Posts
some people buy the exhaust for sound, which I dont understand why. Any exhaust system will increase HP some more than others depending on the setup. I went 21/4 custome with a thermal, and a dynomax muffler. I noticed some power gains with both, but sold them for a Greddy...Im much more happy now!
Oh yeah, go with stromung for value and HP

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Originally posted by GundamONE: "But then again if you buy an exhaust you're not looking for power gains, you're looking for sound. No one will buy an exhaust for real power gains with a 4cyl."
Amen to that! I keep telling people, your going to get 10 HP gains at best with an exhaust, but only with a header and intake as well, but likely only half that. Exhaust is the LAST mod you should consider doing when NA, and is mandatory if you go turbo. So spending upwards of $500 for one is not a smart thing. If I bother with bolt ons for my SE-R, I'm going to get the Pacesetter ceramic coated header and the cat-back exhaust for like $360, and I'll be doing a homemade intake at the same time and possibly UR pullies, although pullies are even worse than exhaust for your power gains to cost comparison, but it's a later step to take when NA or turbo for that matter. I might skip all that crap and do a DET swap right away, that's my long term plan anyways.

Originally posted by KdudL: "some people buy the exhaust for sound, which I dont understand why."
I don't either. On a V8, yeah, it sounds deep and mean, on a 4 banger, it sounds annoying, like some guy with a whimpy weed eater. Intake on a 4 banger sounds nicer than exhaust. I'm so sick of fart cans, that's why I didn't buy the pacesetter cat-back already. I needed a new muffler but I didn't want that fart can muffler that the PS comes with, so I bought an OEM one for $60 and put it on and am done with it for awhile.

I'd say, if you can get the strommung as cheap as bickmade did, you might consider it, sounds to be a little higher caliber than the PS.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've seen dyno's of several 4 cylinders my friends own, and on average it has added around 6-7 hp to the car. Bolting it on is not a very good idea though. A Talon had one bolted on and somebody jsut ripped it right off. Better to pay 70 bucks and have it welded on. It'll make the air flow smoother too.

·
265k miles and counting..
2,656 Posts
glowsentra said:
I've seen dyno's of several 4 cylinders my friends own, and on average it has added around 6-7 hp to the car. Bolting it on is not a very good idea though. A Talon had one bolted on and somebody jsut ripped it right off. Better to pay 70 bucks and have it welded on. It'll make the air flow smoother too.
Sheeesh! that must be a really rought neighborhood to have someone rip off a exhaust system!

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
heres the main thing, if you are worried about hp, you shouldn't be worried about price, when you buy cheap parts like pacesetter you get "honda civic" gains, or very slight gains, the nice thing about our car is that we get large gains, just like on sentra.com, an equally modded sentra/200sx would rip into a equally modded civic, most civics gain like 3-4 hp with an exhaust while you will get that if you go with the pacesetter by spend the extra money and you will gain more from a stromung exhaust or if you are soo worried about price go with a custom 2" or 2 1/4" set up with a magna flow muffler and add a resonator if its not up to your par, the reason most cars sound like shit and farty is b/c a lot of people are ghetto is that they dont do an exhaust system but rather just a muffler. if you ever see cars with angled exhaust is they just add mufflers.. also the same with headers, obx and pacesetter will give you like 5hp but a hotshot will add 10hp

M

·
0 Posts
on my car I onlt seen 3-4 hp with the greddy but when you add the header and the cai then that is where is is noticed. we have a dyno were I work and I have tried it many ways. but I also agree with psulemon if you want hp money is no object. if you want the best you pay for the best!!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did custom (had to, driving an NX), 2.25 crush bends with a resonator (2.25 internal diameter), and short dynomax muffler (to fit the NX) for $300CDN or about $200 US, bought and welded up. Good sound, seems to work well with the hotshot header. The crush bends neck down to 2 inches in the corners, hence the 2.25 piping. Well the crush may not flow as smooth as mandrel, I don't expect the GA to be putting out enough exhaust for the flow disruption to have a measureable impact on performance. That and budget made my choice.

·
i pwn your mom
5,439 Posts
thanx mgaff.. i can speak for most people say we wall want the most hp.. but why settle for 2nd best. i did with my header and i am getting rid of my obx and i bought a hotshot.. i think the obx was a waste of $200... but with the more expensive, you get the quality which produces the ponies

M

·
0 Posts
I have found that hot shot is the best for the ga16de stuff. there are noticable differance in all there products!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts