Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was wondering what ya'll would suggest for the best bang for the buck options. I currently have a reman'd GA16DE and a reman'd Auto tranny. Which would be best for a daily driver that's reliable and somewhere between 150whp-250whp? I also want it to be street legal, I have a 2" mandrel exhaust with a Random Technology hi-flow cat, and a dynomax ultraflow welded muffler (540cfm).

1. Turbo my GA16DE (and possibly blow tranny & engine & warranty)
2. Buy a SR20DE and build for NA
3. Buy a SR20DE and purchase HotShot's Turbo Kit
4. Buy a SR20DET Bluebird and purchase just the down pipe
5. Buy a SR20DET GTi-R and purchase just the downpipe
6. Buy a SR20DET Bluebird and purchase HotShot's install kit
7. Buy a SR20DET GTi-R and purchase HotShot's install kit

I know I'm going to have to get a new wiring harness, ecu, tranny and everything so anyone know the prices for this kinda stuff? How much are SR20DE's goin for with tranny & stuff including clutch pedals, etc?

T

·
0 Posts
When you say, buy a SR20DE, are you planning to swap the motor in to your 94.5 LE? If so, I would just recommend selling your car and buying a Sentra SE-R. It will be much cheaper than trying to do a swap.

I had a swap done from GA16 auto to SR20 manual, and it was really expensive and a big headache. Looking back on it now, I really should have just bought an SE-R.

If money is no problem, then you could swap in a DET and be at pretty close to 200whp. Expect to spend at least $3000 upgrading parts on your 1.6 though. That is for parts only assuming you are doing all labor yourself or with friends.

The 2.0 just has more potential than the 1.6. You could put every bolt on for a 1.6 and just be beating stock SE-R's. Turbos for the 1.6 are probably pretty expensive as they would be all custom unless JWT has their kit out.

Last year I bought an SE-R for $2500. You could probably find one now if you are patient for around $3000 in very good shape. That would be my recommmendation for the simplest and cheapest way to go.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, now what would you think about swapping the GA16DE for a SR20DET and put in an automatic 2.0 transmission or even a Level 10 2.0 transmission? Is it not worth the money? How much do you think it would be for standard parts like clutches, flywheels, etc? I can get the Level 10 nissan transmissions for $2864 with a 1yr warranty and all the goodies.

R

·
0 Posts
motor

Get a BLUEBIRD. It is like the ( stock ) SR20DE. So if you blow the motor you will be able to get parts. The ( GTI-R ) if you blow that you will be waiting 2 weeks for a part or something like that. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
rather than getting a bluebird, find an avenir. all the parts will still swap with usdm parts if you break something and need to replace it, and it will be producing more power (227hp.) avenirs are definitely a little harder to come by, but worth it, id say. at least thats what im planning on doing once i can scrape together the money for it.

R

·
0 Posts
The avenir do you have a pic.
Which part of the motor is the same Block, Head and do you have any specs for it like compression, mild or wild cams etc.
Front mount or top mount intercooler? :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
WARNING: this is my personal opinion. This is how i feel abot the subject and i am not trying to pick a fight. offense may or may not be taken in the following statement, if yo are one to be offended easily, dont read this statement about turbo GA16DE VS. SR20DET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.k. so, why would you spend the money to turbo a ga16de? for the same money you could easily buy a blubird gti-r or any other jdm front clip. i personally dont see the gain in using a Turbo ga16. Granted its more work for the sr20det swap, but the gains in the long run far outweigh the work saved with putting a turbo on the GA.........just an opinion........

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
get a bluebird u13, very common, infact try and get a front clip of a sr20det car , it would come with everything u need

1 - 9 of 9 Posts