Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can't figure out where my coolant is going.

no smoke (anymore :))
no oil in coolant
no coolant in oil
no puddles on floor

i think i might need to replace rad cap? would that help

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You say you had smoke then? was it white smoke, and when did it happen? Are you sure there is no coolant in the oil? did you pour the oil into a clear glass container? Do this and look for seperation. You may also have more water than antifreeze, so it burns off.

Is it very slow or do you have to fill the radiator alot? Does your overflow bottle suck the mixture back in alot or not at all or what?

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i put water in there to fill it up, ill get some antifreeze and see what happens

it stopped burning oil, which was the smoke.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ifoam said:
i can't figure out where my coolant is going.

no smoke (anymore :))
no oil in coolant
no coolant in oil
no puddles on floor

i think i might need to replace rad cap? would that help

could be your head gasket.... do you have loss of compresstion?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wes said:
My question is are you adding it to the radiator or the overflow tank and where are you taking the reading from?

overflow, i dont see any "fill" lines on the radiator

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
ifoam said:
No there are no fill lines but typically if there is ANY coolant in the overflow when you undo the radiator cap you will be able to see coolant. At any rate the level in the overflow wil vary depending on conditions. How long has this problem been going on?

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
can you smell coolant? is there ever any leaks underneath the car? How many times have you seen that it was low and then filled it back up again? Does it happen regulary or is it over a long period of time?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
0341TODD said:
can you smell coolant? is there ever any leaks underneath the car? How many times have you seen that it was low and then filled it back up again? Does it happen regulary or is it over a long period of time?
cant smell any coolant. no leaks underneath. its gone down half an inch over about 2-3 days.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
wes said:
If that is the extent of how far it has gone down I would not worry. It is perfectly normal for that level to fluctuate.
I dont know how cold it gets where you are at but with cooler weather I have seen a drop in my coolant level. It wasnt enough to make me think that I had a gasket problem as the coolant still held good color, did not reflect and had no particles in it. To be on the safe side, I bought a NISMO cap rated to 1.3 bar (IIRC on that rating) just in case the seal was not perfect. A cap can cause gradual coolant loss. Also, IIRC the NISMO cap fits any Nissan.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
ifoam said:
You have to fill the radiator and then bleed the system to remove the air. If you didnt do this then the level going down might just be escaping air being replaced with fluid. Also the level will go up and down with temprature of the engine/coolant. Look at the hot and cold lines on the coolant bottle.
Good Luck.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts