Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Nissan Wingroad Y10 with a GA15DE Engine. I was planning to do some basic maintenance on it like changing spark plugs and adjusting valve clearance etc. but can't find the information I need.
The closest I've found is a 1997 Nissan Sentra (GA16DE engine) on the alldatadiy.com website.
Would it be possible to refer to the service manual for the GA16DE for basic maintenance tasks?
I also wanted to flush the automatic transmission and change the filter. Does anyone know if the transmissions on the 2 cars mentioned above are the same. As far as I've been able to ascertain, they are.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts
Yes, a lot of the basic maintenance tasks on the 1997 Sentra would be the same as on your vehicle. The GA16DE is almost identical to the GA15DE with a few exceptions; so most of the general tasks would apply to your engine. IMO, I would avoid doing a flush of the AT; by doing so, you could cause damage to the valve body. It's best to just do a "drain and re-fill" only. I looked at the '97 Sentra FSM and did not see a filter in the AT.

On most of the Nissan AT's, if there's a filter, it's only a screen; it's best not to mess with it.

Here's a web site where you can download a PDF copy of the 1997 Sentra FSM:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a lot of the basic maintenance tasks on the 1997 Sentra would be the same as on your vehicle. The GA16DE is almost identical to the GA15DE with a few exceptions; so most of the general tasks would apply to your engine. IMO, I would avoid doing a flush of the AT; by doing so, you could cause damage to the valve body. It's best to just do a "drain and re-fill" only. I looked at the '97 Sentra FSM and did not see a filter in the AT.

On most of the Nissan AT's, if there's a filter, it's only a screen; it's best not to mess with it.

Here's a web site where you can download a PDF copy of the 1997 Sentra FSM:
Thanks @rogoman. Good to know the GA15DE and GA16DE are almost identical.
Regarding the transmission, I think it is just a screen but wouldn't it be a good idea to clean it anyway?
I can get this filter kit at my local auto parts store: Repco Automatic Transmission Filter Kit Trans. Code: RL4F03A - GFS624
A drain and refill sound like the way to go and the transmission on my car has a drain plug which makes it a lot easier. I could drain and refill a few times to ensure most of the old ATF is replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There's no mention of changing or cleaning the filter/screen in the FSM. Also, according to a video I saw, it may even be necessary to remove the valve body to change the filter/screen, although I'm not sure if it was the same model transmission.

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,874 Posts
There's no mention of changing or cleaning the filter/screen in the FSM. Also, according to a video I saw, it may even be necessary to remove the valve body to change the filter/screen, although I'm not sure if it was the same model transmission.
The AT's in the older rear wheel drive cars had screens. I had a 1991 240SX AT that had a screen which I would replace when doing a drain-refill. When Nissan went over to front wheel drive, the re-engineered AT's had no screens that I know of.

When you plan to do a drain-fill, consider dropping the pan and clean up the magnets on the pan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts