Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first-timish poster. So I picked up this new 05 3.5 SE. Body is in good shape, 170,000 kms to it. LOUD as hell though. The y-pipe HAD to be replaced ASAP.

When I first got the car a couple months ago, it was throwing me a P0037 and a P0138. Figured the sensor was done for or something.

I get under the car, and lo and behold the harness for the sensor is just hanging there. So I start questioning things. I look, the guy who had this car before me obviously ran into issues with this sensor. Whether he stripped the threads in the pipe, broke the o2 sensor of in it, I don't know....

But the pipe is plugged. I can't get another sensor in there.

Can anyone tell me what my options are here please????

This car is starting to run at about 16.5L/100kms at the moment.

I've got issues with the camshaft sensors, and those are on their way. But I feel as though if I can't get the right A/F mixture going in this car, it's going to begin costing me huge dollars in fuel!!!

Any advice/ideas you guys may have would be appreciated!!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,895 Posts
The P0037/P0138 codes are for heated oxygen sensor 2 in bank 1 which in your case is broken off. Your best bet is to remove the bank 1 three-way catalyst from the car and drill out the piece of the sensor that's still in the catalyst housing, use an easy-out to remove the rest of it, run a tap into the hole to clean the threads. Remember you're dealing with metric threads; so use a metric tap and make sure the thread pitch is correct; you don't want to screw this up. The cost for a new OEM 3-way catalyst is very expensive; probably at least $700 or more.

After you install the new sensor, you should be good to go. Just make sure the harness connector pins are clean with no oxidation on them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The P0037/P0138 codes are for heated oxygen sensor 2 in bank 1 which in your case is broken off. Your best bet is to remove the bank 1 three-way catalyst from the car and drill out the piece of the sensor that's still in the catalyst housing, use an easy-out to remove the rest of it, run a tap into the hole to clean the threads. Remember you're dealing with metric threads; so use a metric tap and make sure the thread pitch is correct; you don't want to screw this up. The cost for a new OEM 3-way catalyst is very expensive; probably at least $700 or more.

After you install the new sensor, you should be good to go. Just make sure the harness connector pins are clean with no oxidation on them.
Thanks for the reply rogoman!

The sensor is actually not broken off. But for some reason, I'm not sure why, they've got the o2 port plugged up. I have absolutely no idea what they plugged it up with or why.

I'm thinking maybe they were going to swap sensors, didn't clean out threads properly. God knows what...

I may just replace the Bank 1 Cat all together. Not really something I want to do, as I just had the UIM off a few weeks ago to do plugs and coils...
Decisions decisions....

Been reading about these o2 simulators, "reading about them" that is. Theres not much in the way of how they work on these cars and what not.

Thanks for the reply!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts